Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Nov 2011 - Tamar Myers

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:32AM) (new)

message 4: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56901 comments I have read one of the Den of Antiquity books. Now I will try the Pennsylvania Dutch series and see if it is better than the Den books.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
I've read all of the Penn-Dutch Mysteries up through Thou Shall Not Grill. I need to start on Assault and Pepper. I have only one Den of Antiquity book, Nightmare in Shining Armour. I was originally drawn to the Penn-Dutch mysteries by laughing over all the title names.

message 6: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56901 comments I agree that the titles are intriguing!

message 7: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I may join in this month since I have the first book of the Pennsylvania - Dutch series.

message 8: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments Wow - I'm feeling psychic since I pulled her first book off the TBR shelf yesterday and ordered the second. Did the ghostly, witchy halloween books I read last month rub off? LOL

message 9: by bella (new)

bella (thespiceflows) I haven't read any of these series, but have heard of the author, so I'm looking forward to trying these two.

message 10: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I'm new to this author and I'm going to see if I can get Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth read this month.

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I've read several of the Magdalena Yoder books. Liked some, didn't like others. I think the last one I read was AS THE WORLD CHURNS.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Oh no, on here last night-though I wondered why a discussion was not set up, I thought the author was going to be Jenn McKinley.So I ordered a book from the inter library loan. Will have to go back and see if Tamar Myers is in the library.lol

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments I read Poison Ivory earlier this year and enjoyed it. This month I've moved Just Plain Pickled to Death up to the top of the list since it also works for the November challenge (and I'll get to try her other series)!

message 14: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I have Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth in my TBR, so I think it will be my chosen one.

message 15: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments OH, goodie! Another new author for me. You're the greatest!

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Tricia. :)

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I got The Crepes of Wrathand am looking forward to reading it. Its kind of mid-series, but I think that should be ok =).

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:34AM) (new)

Once you get the idea of Magadella Yoder (if I got that right after all these years, lol) operates an Amish bed and breakfast in a small pennsylvania-dutch community and ends up helping the rather inept sheriff investigate mysterious deaths... then any of the books can be read out of order. I read them in order. I think the only thing that really progresses in order is her personal relationships with others (specifically whose she's dating). However, if you're just going to read one odd book here or there, that won't matter. If you're going to read them all, I wouldn't read every odd number book then every even number. lol

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer These are great and I love the titles. I'm going to have to get one of these books by Tamar Myers.

Thanks for the information!

message 20: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I ordered several different ones and will have a hard time choosing which one to read first. Some are already out of print!

message 21: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments The copies I ordered have arrived. Which one should I read first? I have Just Plain Pickled to Death, Gruel and Unusual Punishment, Hell Hath No Curry, Too many Crooks Spoil the Broth, The MIng and I, and A Penny Urned.

message 22: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth is the first in that series. Since you have that one, read it first.

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Nell wrote: "Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth is the first in that series. Since you have that one, read it first."

I agree, since you have it, start at the beginning. The rest will make more sense that way.

message 24: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'm so glad you've made my choice for me! Thanks for your help! One less thing to worry about!

message 25: by Nell (last edited Nov 14, 2011 02:55AM) (new)

Nell | 1157 comments Just finished Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth. I bought this book at a library book sale and it has been sitting on my TBR shelf for years. I quite enjoyed it. The narrator's voice is wry and the characters interesting. Gives insight into the Mennonite, PennDutch lifestyle. An inn full of suspects and potential motives keeps you guessing.
I ordered the 2nd one, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime and it came last week so I will keep reading this series.

Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) by Tamar Myers Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) by Tamar Myers

message 26: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I enjoyed reading this series. However, I read up to Assault and Pepper and had to stop. You see, I'd read the first 12 almost back-to-back and by that time, I'd had enough! lol I started to think the person being murdered (in Assault and Pepper that's the Reverand, by someone putting peanut butter into chili at the local chili cookoff, as he's severly allergic) was getting a little ridiculous. (Not giving anything away, as all that is on the inside flap or back cover.) However, it's been a couple years since I read the first dozen, so time to finish reading the series now, as I have the rest.

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I like Nell's description of "wry" for the voice ot the main character. I'm only about 1/3 through my book, but I'm enjoying her humor!

message 28: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Nell wrote: "Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth is the first in that series. Since you have that one, read it first."

I started this one last night and have had loads of laughs already. Quite different than the other cozies I've read lately.

message 29: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I've read Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth and, after my feelings about Larceny and Old Lace, this is not my author.

message 30: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I just finished Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth which is my first novel by Tamar Myers. It was a fun read, but I felt it dragged a little and I wasn't fond of most of the characters. I'll definitely try another one either in the Penn Dutch series or her Den of Antiquity Series. I don't think she'll be my favorite cozy author, but I still found this first book enjoyable.

message 31: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments Finished Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #2) by Tamar Myers . Like the developing romance. Mystery itself was weak. I figured out the murderer early and her efforts to harm the protagonist seemed obvious except to her.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments I finished Just Plain Pickled to Death last night. This was the first in the Penn Dutch series I had read. I enjoyed the mystery aspect of it and really had no idea who the killer was until the end (although even I could always tell that whoever Magdalena suspected was innocent). I do agree that most of the characters were somewhat annoying.

message 33: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I read a few in this series and had to stop reading them. Magdalena's constant "wailing" just did me in!

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Haha the 'wailing' has been bugging me too. That seems to be one of the author's favorite synonyms for 'said', and just seems like overkill - I'd prefer a simple exclamation point if something Mags said needs to be emphasized.

I'm reading the Crepes of Wrath, and I'm not sure what to think about the kitten's constant residence in the bra. I suppose it is funny...

On the positive side, Magdalena is a feisty character, and I do smile about charging the guests to do work.

message 35: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments In the first two books, there's a dog named Schnookums that Susannah (Magdalena's sister) carries around in her bra. That's too close for comfort IMO.

message 36: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

There are parts of this series that I truely enjoyed. But parts did wear on me, however, since I read the first 12 books in a week and a half, I thought perhaps I'd just gotten burned out on it.

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments Melodie wrote: "I read a few in this series and had to stop reading them. Magdalena's constant "wailing" just did me in!"

I'm reading Hell Hath No Curry and Magdalena made a comment to herself that she needed to cut back on the wailing! :)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Oh, the wailing! It about did my head in! :D

message 39: by Judy (new)

Judy (julianka) | 38 comments I just finished Too Many Crooks Spoiled the Broth and before that I read Larceny and Old Lace. I'm afraid I wasn't crazy about either one. I really wanted to like the Penn Dutch series as I'm from PA, but it took me terribly long to get through the only 151 page ebook of the first book in the series. I didn't like the main character's attitude much, I think was a lot of my problem with it. I may try one more book in the series.

message 40: by Jane Reads (new)

Jane Reads | 170 comments I finished Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth on 11/23, and Larceny and Old Lace today.

I had read several books in her Pennsylvania Dutch series earlier, including this one. I liked Larceny and Old Lace better, and will read more in this series.

I prefer the Den of Antiquity series because of its settings, with which I am familiar. My daughter attended Winthrop Univ in Rock Hill, and ran on Eden Terrace. She is now living in Charlotte, and did an internship at a shop in Myers Park.

message 41: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 550 comments I finished Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth and liked it. I thought it was a cute story and will continue on with the series.

message 42: by Ellie (last edited Nov 29, 2011 03:45AM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I am reading Baroque and Desperate from the Dens of Antiquity series & enjoying it very much. This is the first book by Tamar Myers that I have read & she looks to be an excellent discovery!

Thank you.

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I read Hell Hath No Curry and I must say I didn't enjoy it too much. There were many references to things that I assume happened in previous books and I was distracted wondering if I should have read the previous books first. I read Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth a few years ago and enjoyed it, but had been unable to find the second book in the series.

I have Larceny and Old Lace and Monet Talks waiting to be read on my Kindle.

message 44: by Linda (new)

Linda B | 200 comments I readToo Many Crooks Spoil the Brothand enjoyed it. I would like to try the Den of Antiquity series also. I will continue with the Pennsylvania Dutch series too.

message 45: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Dec 01, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Don't forget to check out your local library to see if they have any of them, or perhaps borrow them through inter-library loan from other libraries.

message 46: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollymart) | 23 comments I finished Larceny and Old Lace yesterday and I was pretty disappointed. I was hoping to find a new series to dig into, but I really didn't like the characters or dialogue in this story at all. Everything felt so exaggerated and fake. I may give the series another chance, but probably not for a while.

message 47: by Kimmie (new)

Kimmie (thatkimmiegirl) | 100 comments I finished Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1) by Tamar Myers over the weekend. This is a new series to me and I really enjoyed it. I love "laugh out loud" cozy mysteries. I know I will continue with this series.
Kimmie