Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Losing Your Stephen King Virginity

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 91 comments I see this topic come up a lot when people talk about Stephen King, in many different threads. So I thought I'd start a thread just for that!

Much like everyone remembers their 'first time,' so everyone remembers their first time reading Stephen King.

What was your first Stephen King book? What did you think of it then, have you read it again, was it a different experience the second time around?

Share your story!

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 31 comments Sorry, it's been WAY too many years ago! I don't remember what my first King book was. But I've been re-reading several of them recently and it's really good bringing back the memories.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 25 comments I'm almost 100% sure it was Cujo.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pg4003) | 31 comments I have all of King's books, read them years ago as they came out, but recently I've been listening to them as audio books. So far I've listened to Needful Things, Bag of Bones, and am currently listening to Desperation. Desperation is not one of his better works, I have to say.

I'm so excited, one week from today 11/22/63 will be on my Kindle!!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (serialreader13) I read Skeleton Crew, starting with The Mist. But oddly what really made me like King was reading his intro section for Skeleton Crew. It was when I was actually laughing out loud in public at his story about having beer in his fridge and not sharing that I knew I'd been hooked to his writing :P

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Mine was The Tommyknockers. I was 13 and it took me a long time to read it not because I didn't like it but because I'd grabbed it after realizing the R.L. Stine books I'd been reading took me all of two hours to read.So it was my first really long novel. It also helped that I'd grown up watching the movies based on the books ( I was probably three when I first saw Creepshow and was convinced watching my belly rise and fall as I breathed I was going to burst and a bunch of bugs would come out).

A lot of people don't like Tommyknockers but I actually do. I remember really loving how much he makes you see and feel for the characters. Gardner was my favorite and Bobbi too.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Andrea wrote: "I read Skeleton Crew, starting with The Mist. But oddly what really made me like King was reading his intro section for Skeleton Crew. It was when I was actually laughing out loud in public at his ..."

I was very quickly sold on those intros too. He seems like a great guy to sit down and bs with :)

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 401 comments My first King novel was 'Salem's Lot.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments Mine was the Shining.

message 10: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Mine was The Stand, in my sophomore year of high school. It was the originally published, "shorter" version.

I read it again about a year before the uncut version came out. So of course I had to read that one too.

I'm just a few hundred pages from my second reading of the second version, so 4th overall.

It's still my favorite single volume King novel.

(I say it that way because the Dark Tower series would be first place if judged as a single entity.)

message 11: by Kit★ (last edited Nov 02, 2011 12:28PM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments Mine was Cujo when I was in 3rd grade. My mom had IT and The Tommyknockers and Pet Semetary and a couple of others, but I wanted one of my own to take on our road-trip to visit my aunt and uncle in Tennessee. So at the store, I saw this one, Cujo by Stephen King and was like, "Oh, it's about a dog, cool, I'll read that one." So we bought it, and off we went on our trip. I finished it in like 2 days, and yea, a lot of stuff went over my head back then that when recently re-reading it, I was like, "Whoa, what'd I think of that when I was a kid?" Especially (view spoiler). The gory bits didn't bother me really, it was just like a way more detailed and bloody version of the RL Stine books I devoured back then. So, I needed another book to read on the way home, and we went to a store down there in Tennessee and I picked out Eyes of the Dragon The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King , because it sounded fairy-tale-ish but better and scarier. After that, I was in love. Read my mom's copy of Pet Semetary in 4th grade, and tried Tommyknockers in 5th grade, but couldn't get into it. It took another couple of years before I got any more books of his, but once I did, there was no turning back... :D

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena | 91 comments Amanda wrote: "Mine was The Tommyknockers. I was 13 and it took me a long time to read it not because I didn't like it but because I'd grabbed it after realizing the R.L. Stine books I'd been reading took me all ..."

That's exactly what I read...in fact, your entire post could have come from me! I was 13, too, I think, and I'd been reading Fear Street & Christopher Pike and needed something meatier. Tommyknockers gets a lot of bad reactions, but I'll always have a soft spot for it.

"Late last night and the night before..."
Lol...I still remember the little rhyme.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Lena wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Mine was The Tommyknockers. I was 13 and it took me a long time to read it not because I didn't like it but because I'd grabbed it after realizing the R.L. Stine books I'd been readi..."

Lol me too. The weirdest stuff brings the rhyme to mind.

message 14: by Schawn (new)

Schawn schoepke | 8 comments It was the Dead Zone. I was like 13 and it was summer and the only book I had. But the more I got into it the more I liked it. Salems Lot finished me off and hooked me into his writing ever after....

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2539 comments Mod
Hey all!!! There is already a thread with the same topic, so I am going to close this one and post the other one so you can use it! http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...\

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.