Ask Lisa See! discussion

Other book to film adaptions?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Are there plans to convert other books, such as Shanghai Girls to film? The sisters' interaction with Hollywood would seem to invite that.

message 2: by Merlee (new)

Merlee | 4 comments I would love to see a movie that is faithful to any Lisa See's books (like The Secret Life of Bees). I would also love more Red Princess mysteries and, well, more Lisa See books!!!

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments Shanghai Girls would definitely make a good adaptation to film. Peony in Love might even work, too, using some of the same techniques used in other films such as The Lovely Bones, i.e. using voice-overs for the dead Peony and other devices. Even the Red Princess mysteries would adapt well!

message 4: by Alienne (new)

Alienne | 3 comments Shanghai Girls and Peony In Love would both make awesome movies in the right hands. I'll cross my fingers!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments I loved reading "Dreams of Joy"and would enjoy seeing it as a movie. When you write do you picture the scenes from an omniscient or do you experience the scenes as a character?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "Are there plans to convert other books, such as Shanghai Girls to film? The sisters' interaction with Hollywood would seem to invite that."

You're so right, but so far there hasn't been any interest in Shanghai Girls from Hollywood.

Peony in Love is in delevopment right now. In fact, I'm meeting the director tomorrow! I've seen the storyboards and it looks like it's going to be beautiful. I've heard that they're going to start filming next year, but I'll know more tomorrow.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Merlee wrote: "I would love to see a movie that is faithful to any Lisa See's books (like The Secret Life of Bees). I would also love more Red Princess mysteries and, well, more Lisa See books!!!"

Being faithful to the story and the spirit of the book would be great.

About a million years ago, the Red Princess books were in developement to be made into a film, but Flower Net never got made.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I loved reading "Dreams of Joy"and would enjoy seeing it as a movie. When you write do you picture the scenes from an omniscient or do you experience the scenes as a character?"

It depends on the book, right? For Shanghai Girls, you hear the entire story from just Pearl's POV. In Dreams of Joy, you hear the story from Pearl and Joy's POV.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments That's too bad. I can picture Flower Net as a female version of Dan Brown's novels/movies Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code. I think it would have been great in the theater! We could have used a Chinese actress like Fan Bing Bing again or Ziyi Zhang if her English has improved. I love her movies. Check out Hero or House of Flying Daggers sometime.

But I am excited to hear Peony in Love is being developed! Of course I will probably have to wait to see that on DVD too, but it's better than nothing, right? I am waiting for my copy of Snow Flower to arrive from Amazon as we speak. Hoping I find it in the mailbox today!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Sharon wrote: "That's too bad. I can picture Flower Net as a female version of Dan Brown's novels/movies Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code. I think it would have been great in the theater! We could have used..."

If Peony in Love actually gets made -- and you never know until they turn on the cameras -- then it will have a much wider release than Snow Flower.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 32 comments That would be great. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and for all of us!