Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight question

Why does Stephenie Meyer hate women?
Jess Jess (last edited Nov 02, 2011 12:25PM ) Nov 02, 2011 08:25AM
Has anyone else noticed her contempt for the female gender in her novels? Most of her female characters are simpering and useless and completely dependent on males.

*I should clarify, main females characters (Bella, Meredith). Also, if you can't tell this is a trolling, sweeping generalization about how I don't like her depictions of women/relationships, you lose at the internet.

lol, yeah

This topic makes me laugh. We can't presume to know an author because she makes her characters a certain way. Maybe that's just how that character is. I don't think any of the female vampires in Twilight are simpering or totally dependent on men. So maybe she doesn't hate women, she hates *humans*. :D

I don't think this is true. Victoria seems more than capable on her own, as does Jane, from the Vulturi. Rosalie and Alice can pretty much get Emmett or Jasper to do whatever they want. Jasper's first infatuation, Maria. She was behind the whole newborn vampire thing. The only female who really looks weak is Bella.

But remember in Eclipse, Stephenie Meyer did make her do something courageous. To distract Victoria (so Edward could kill her) she cut her arm so that Victoria would catch the scent of her blood. (She got this idea from one of the legends Jacob told her about). You know, the woman who saved the whole tribe. That doesn't sound sexist to me.

Matt Bayes How does being bait make you more capable?
Mar 08, 2012 07:29PM · flag

Jess wrote: "Has anyone else noticed her contempt for the female gender in her novels? Most of her female characters are simpering and useless and completely dependent on males.

*I should clarify, main females characters (Bella, Meredith)..."

who is meredith?

Kirby oh, thanks lena! just now saw this, somehow...:)
actually, the two females in the host are wanda and melanie...but you're probably right, that's simil
...more
Mar 08, 2012 07:36PM · flag

deleted member Dec 12, 2011 11:21AM   0 votes
I agree, sorta.

she dosen't

Where do these idiots get this stuff!

I'm with Lena on this one. Bella's vulnerabilities stem from the fact that she is human, and the beings she is surrounded by are so much powerful than she is. Even if she were a man, she would still be no match for the vampires and shifters around her.

And she really isn't that weak emotionally. She knows what she wants (to become a vampire and live forever with Edward), and come heck or high water, she will get what she wants. Just because what she wants isn't "modern", doesn't mean that she is anti-feminist. She just wants different things than most women today.

deleted member Dec 12, 2011 08:12PM   -1 votes
she and the author of Fallendid the same thing, making the stereotypical "helpless" teenage girl. This is the 21st century people!!

I dont think she is. Maybe she wanted the story to work that way. Maybe Bella being needy to Edward is what made her story work through out the books. Maybe she was raised to where women are not independent. We just dont know.

Yep we're getting a view from the mind of a Mormon woman. I didn't know that before reading the book. I disliked Bella right away. I prefer a strong female character. I couldnt identify with her and kept saying she needs to seek professional help throughout the book. It's popularity fits with needy females who have a skewed sense of love and self worth.

Because she's a Mormon, a religion that teaches females that their role is in the kitchen, submitting to their husbands. While that may sound good in theory (chuckles), that's obviously not a healthy role to be putting on women for a healthy society.