Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Literary Fiction > Writing for Literary Analysis

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Lane (LeighMLane) | 152 comments I love writing critical analysis of rich literary text, but I also enjoy writing fiction that others might someday analyze in the same way. Is there anyone else here who writes with theme, symbolism, irony, etc. in mind? (Or is it a dying art?)

One of the aspects I love so much about literature is the level of depth that goes into it. Reading a great literary work is like piecing together an enormous puzzle comprised of countless other smaller puzzles. I love how a text can say one thing, but mean so much more. I love the feeling that comes with either reading or writing a series of words that makes me sit back with a satisfied sigh and simply reflect....

message 2: by Maranda (new)

Maranda Russell LOL, I must admit I never liked literary analysis that much, or at least not like my literature teachers did it. They picked every paragraph apart to the point that the story and overlying message of the book got lost in the details. Also, some of my teachers thought every single adjective was symbolic...and I highly doubt any author goes that far!

message 3: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Lane (LeighMLane) | 152 comments I never liked any kind of close reading until college, when an especially insightful instructor taught me a few fun tricks and got the ball rolling. Critical analysis is definitely an acquired taste, but there are so many neat things a writer can do to a work depending on the literary theories involved. The hidden gems can be a lot of fun to uncover (and also a lot of fun to write, once you get the hang of it).

message 4: by Harini (new)

Harini Srinivasan (HariniGopalswamiSrinivasan) | 19 comments That's very exciting, Leigh! I used to feel like Maranda, and still do sometimes. But I too had a good teacher once, who taught me how interesting analysis of a text can be without getting mired in pettifogging details. Approaching your writing the same way would be wonderful, but unfortunately I seem to have an intuitive brain rather than an analytical one, and mostly write it how it comes! I do enjoy putting in secret allusions to family events and jokes to amuse my readers, though -- a lot of my readers seem to be family anyway :)

message 5: by Leigh (last edited Nov 03, 2011 08:50AM) (new)

Leigh Lane (LeighMLane) | 152 comments Sometimes the secret allusions are the most fun, Harini. I love to include "inside" jokes for my friends and readers.

message 6: by Marius (new)

Marius Hancu | 8 comments Hi,
You may want to have a look my blog
I have two articles on Pynchon, showing the degree of detail I like to reach in my reading.

There are also samples from my books
Our Lives as Kites
Simon and Hiroko

Should you like to review them, please message me here.

Perhaps you should try
critiquecircle.com
The "On Writing" forum there gets to such details.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Our Lives as Kites (other topics)
Simon and Hiroko (other topics)