Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are southern manners declining?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/us/...

Well, Heidi is mean to me...

message 2: by Heidi (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:24AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments STOP SAYING THAT!
: (
I'm ALWAYS nice to you... even when you threaten to sip from my drink. Bully.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hee. No, Heidi's to me, I admit it...

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Hee. No, Heidi's to me, I admit it..."

I'm to you, what? Now you're typing gibberish.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments Heidi wrote: I'm to you, what? Now you're typing gibberish."

That's not a polite thing to say.

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:50AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Phil wrote: "That's not a polite thing to say."

I'm to you, what? Now you're typing gibberish, sir.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hee. Heidi's NICE to me. I was writing that in a meeting, which is probably bad manners in the first place...

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Are Eastern Wisconsinites manners declining?

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Only rude Central Wisconsinites would think such a thing!

message 10: by Barb (new)

Barb You all need Northern manners. I'm never mean to anyone ... ever.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Only rude Central Wisconsinites would think such a thing!"

We are a pack of rude hippies :-)

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Speak for yourself, Jim.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Heidi wrote: "Speak for yourself, Jim."

Did you move to Central Wisconsin?

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Omega wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Speak for yourself, Jim."

Did you move to Central Wisconsin?"

I was responding to "We are a pack of rude hippies :-)," so the answer would be nope. :)

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I'm confused :(

message 16: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Barb wrote: "You all need Northern manners. I'm never mean to anyone ... ever."

Barb, you're not Northern, you're Canadian!

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Omega wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Speak for yourself, Jim."

Did you move to Central Wisconsin?"

hahahahahahahahaha

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "hahahahahahahahaha"

:( That's not very nice.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24070 comments Mod
Whilst researching my answer I did a perfectly innocent google search which brought up the most disgusting obscene images. Unspeakable! I won't speak of them.

Are SEO people now seeding disgusting dirty websites with ordinary, innocent words now?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Whenever a news article asserts that "Some say," your bullshit detector should go off.

message 21: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments My granny used to say that the Southern church lady that came around to check up on her, was "so prim and proper that she wouldn't say *shit* if she had a mouthful". That's good Southern manners!

message 22: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11604 comments A real church lady?

Isn't that special.

message 23: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3385 comments Some say that Southerners enjoy being characterized as the ones with good manners. **Wrng wrng wrng** That's the sound of the BS detectors going off.

message 24: by Lorri (new)

Lorri (lorricable) | 28 comments Let me start by saying that I live in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. So I can say this, southerners have always only given the appearance of manners. They smile and speak nicely to you until you leave and then the manners go out the window! :) "Bless your heart" is a southern way of saying "I'm sorry you're so stupid".

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lorri wrote: "Let me start by saying that I live in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. So I can say this, southerners have always only given the appearance of manners. They smile and speak..."

Lorri, that's not always the case. Sometimes "Bless your heart" means ""Bless your heart."

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments "Bless your heart Heidi"

message 27: by Lorri (new)

Lorri (lorricable) | 28 comments Well, maybe sometimes...

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Nancy Pelosi said on Jon Stewart the other night: "...bless their hearts, the Republicans, they do what they believe."

message 29: by Lorri (new)

Lorri (lorricable) | 28 comments Very well said, Nancy Pelosi!

message 30: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments In VA (which is just barely in the south) people in the country walk a fine line between friendly and nosy. Manners doesn't really seem to have much to do with it, rather there's a sort of neighborliness that doesn't adhere to any sort of politeness. In Northern VA, manners are nonexistent and most of the people I meet are assholes with a fine veneer of false politeness. I know all the church ladies in my hometown had good manners, but it was a surface thing for most of them and I was always freaked out as a kid when they would come to my grandma's house and all of the racism and hypocritical gossip would come into the open. I will say that my grandmother always had wonderful, old-fashioned southern manners and would avoid saying anything about someone that she couldn't say to their face.