Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Hello, Darkness
This topic is about Hello, Darkness
Sai King's Favorite Books > Hello, Darkness (May Contain Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1093 comments Mod
Linda and I are going to read Hello, Darkness soon. Joining us?

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I'm so excited!!! come on guys - join us!!!!!

message 3: by Debra (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "Okay, Sandra Brown is not Eudora Welty, but if you want romantic suspense that has teeth — big ones — she's your gal. This one features a Beautiful Disc Jockey With a Secret in Her Past who starts getting calls from a psycho named ''Valentino'' on her late-night show (tunes for lovers — forget the playlist unless you're deep into Barry White). A great deal of violence and steamy, graphic sex ensues. And ensues. And ensues. The finale is a shocker worthy of Agatha Christie...although I don't think there was ever an Internet sex club in any of Dame Agatha's books."

I'm wondering... based on what King wrote here, do you think we should add Edora Welty to his favorite authors list?

I just requested Hello, Darkness from my library. I plan to join you two!

message 5: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debra wrote: "I just requested Hello, Darkness from my library. I plan to join you two!"

Debra wrote: "Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "Okay, Sandra Brown is not Eudora Welty, but if you want romantic suspense that has teeth — big ones — she's your gal. This one features a Beauti..."

Funny...I just picked up The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty, because of his comment!

It is sometimes difficult to tell if his comment is a total recommendation or just a casual observation. Still if he recommended Sandra Brown (or did he?), a recommedation which by the way I think surprised some of us, then his implication is that Eudora Welty is of much more value as a writer.

message 6: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debra wrote: "I just requested Hello, Darkness from my library. I plan to join you two!"

Just picked up at the library yesterday. Have a couple others to complete before due date of 11/9/11.

You ready, Linda?

Almeta wrote: "Debra wrote: "I just requested Hello, Darkness from my library. I plan to join you two!"

Debra wrote: "Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "Okay, Sandra Brown is not Eudora Welt..."

He refers to Eudora Welty in his non-fiction a lot, too. I just hadn't gotten a clear impression as to whether he actually admired her, or was just using her writing as examples. Let us know after you've read some of her stories and then we can decide.

message 8: by Linda (last edited Nov 06, 2011 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Almeta wrote: "Debra wrote: "I just requested Hello, Darkness from my library. I plan to join you two!"

Just picked up at the library yesterday. Have a couple others to complete before due date of 11/9/11.
..."

Hi Almeta, I was out of town for the weekend and did not access my computer at all. I'm ready - if you are. I can start tomorrow......

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Hi Almeta, I read in your post that you were getting caught up on some other books, so I will squeeze in a different book before we start Hello Darkness.

I'm picking up Hello Darkness on 11/12. I'm going to finish the HUGE book I'm reading now and then REALLY start on Fieldwork. I'll juggle it all, somehow!

message 11: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda wrote: "Hi Almeta, I read in your post that you were getting caught up on some other books, so I will squeeze in a different book before we start Hello Darkness."

Yes, today's the day that I have to return unrenewable books to the library. So I was kinda on a marathon read.

NOW I am ready to read Hello, Darkness.

Ready, set, go!

I'm picking it up on Sat. Hopefully I'll have finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (another King recommended book - and I like it, too!) by the end of this weekend. Then I'll squeeze in Hello, Darkness AND then Fieldwork!

message 13: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Just approached Chapter Five and realized that I have lost track of my characters already. So went back to the beginning to make a list of "who's who".

I'm the same person who won't remember the name of a newly introduced person in the fleshy world either!

message 14: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2011 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Speaking of names...has anyone noticed that the apparent soon to become victim, complains a lot about not knowing the name of her new photographer lover...(view spoiler)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Starting this one tomorrow - can't wait!!!!

I read this all in one day on Monday... day off from work with a cold! The victim does complain alot, period. All looks, no brains, that one! Not a sympathetic character. I'll wait til you both catch up before I say any more.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Wow Debra, I have 5 more disc to go. I have a person in mind of who may be the killer, I wonder if I'm right. And I really like Dean and Paris together.

And I agree with you Debra, so far I also think he is a little whiny!

Linda wrote: "Wow Debra, I have 5 more disc to go. I have a person in mind of who may be the killer, I wonder if I'm right. And I really like Dean and Paris together.

And I agree with you Debra, so far I al..."

Seems almost every male character is a suspect! I was not surprised when the killer was revealed.

message 19: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debra wrote: "Seems almost every male character is a suspect! ..."

Sexual woes abound. Only Officer Curtis has not revealed his sex life...(view spoiler)

It is almost as if Sex is the name of the villain here. (S)He has not only touched everyone’s lives, but has screwed them up somehow. (Pun was unintentional, but pretty good!)

message 20: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I would hate to be rearing a teenager today. Pretty scary stuff.

message 21: by Almeta, co-moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linda wrote: "And I really like Dean and Paris together. ..."

(view spoiler)

I like Dean and Paris together also. Nothing like forbidden love to stir up the juices!

message 22: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Nov 17, 2011 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debra wrote: "Seems almost every male character is a suspect! I was not surprised when the killer was revealed. ..."

Hope that every man I meet is not heartless or a sexual deviant, as they seem to be in this book.

So many red herrings. I switched my suspicions constantly. So in other words, I was lead exactly where Ms. Brown wanted me to go. I would say she was a master of misdirection. (view spoiler)

I didn't think I was going to be surprised, but then I WAS surprised that I was surprised. (view spoiler)

Enjoyed the diversion.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Ms Brown did a very good job in keeping us on our toes with who the killer could possibly be. I knew something was up with him - something was just not right.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments Almeta wrote: "Debra wrote: "Seems almost every male character is a suspect! ..."

Sexual woes abound. Only Officer Curtis has not revealed his sex life...[spoilers removed]

It is almost as if Sex is the na..."

Almeta wrote: "Linda wrote: "And I really like Dean and Paris together. ..."

[spoilers removed]

I like Dean and Paris together also. Nothing like forbidden love to stir up the juices!"

Officer Curtis was a being a little creepy with all of the questions regarding Dean and Paris - I think he went too far, I don't think their relationship was his business.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments This was a really good read - It had a lot of twists and turns and great suspense. I can see Stephen King enjoying this book.

I'm glad Dean and Paris got together. Did you catch that the last song Paris played before she nearly got killed was "Misty." Remember the movie "Play Misty for Me?" I thought that was fun catch.

Officer Curtis was creepy. Too bad it didn't turn out that HE was the killer! Was a jerk!

I also figured something was up with Rondeau and at least wanted to see him get his just desserts for being just an asshole. Well, I guess he did, didn't he. I wasn't terribly surprised, though.

A fun read!

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 598 comments I do remember hearing "Misty" and totally remember the movie.

When I first started listening to this book, I got a feeling that I have read/listened to this story before - of course I knew that I didn't but that kept bugging me. I think I remember why now though - I listened to one of Dean Koontz's books Fear Nothing (Moonlight Bay, #1) by Dean Koontz and really the only similarity is both books have a lady DJ who works the overnight. Now that I think about it, maybe the narrators where the same. Anyway - It was a really good book and I enjoyed it a lot.