What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Emergence
This topic is about Emergence
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. sci-fi early 80s teen girl post-apocalyptic coming of age journey [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John (mrslideshow) | 3 comments I'm trying to remember the name/author of a sci-fi book I read in the early to mid 80s. It would now be classified in YA, I assume, but at the time, it was just general SF - paperback with a glossy cover, probably a Del Rey publication. I don't think it was a reprint of an older book. It was set in a post-apocalyptic society, where at age 13, everyone had to make a journey alone (across some abandoned area, I guess) with just a backpack or small supply of stuff, and the protagonist was a teenage girl making this journey. A family friend gave it to me, since I was also around 13 at the time, though a boy. All I can remember of the plot was that at one point, the protagonist is injured and falls into a coma, but is discovered and cared for by a teen boy either also on his "journey" or more likely living apart from the rest of society. I'm sure this will be an easy one for someone on the list!

John (mrslideshow) | 3 comments Dawn wrote: "Dreamsnake?"

No, the protagonist was definitely on a journey her society was forcing her to make, though I remember her as being capable, not reluctant to make it.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael I remember the book as well but don't remember title or author, though I'd like to read it again.

If we're thinking of the same book, it wasn't 'society' that requires the journey, it was immediately after some major disaster (war/bombs?) and the girl finda herself abandoned, the town deserted. She leaves to go someplace where she thinks she might find her father and/or family. The teenage boy is another that is alone/abandoned after the apocalypse and is driving a sports car recklessly on abandoned streets and hits her, but saves her life and the continue on together.

They do, eventually find her father, who is a scientist and is in some kind of a protected enclave, so survived.

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
Emergence is the book that Sharon is talking about. I don't think that its the one that the OP is looking for tho. Altho it could be, since she does fall into a coma after rescuing the hot rodder. :o)

I was looking for Emergence earlier (well, a year or two--or was it three) ago, and as soon as I found out the title I went looking til I finally found a copy.

Emergence by David R. Palmer is the cover of the book. It was originially released as a 2 part story in I think it was Analog--but it could have been one of the other Scifi mags at the time.

message 6: by John (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

John (mrslideshow) | 3 comments That's the one - even the cover looks familiar! Thanks to Ann aka Iftcan!

I'm changing this post to SOLVED! And although this good might qualify as YA today, I'm going to put it under SOLVED-Adult Fiction, because it wasn't released as YA back then.