Nordic Noir discussion

Author of the Month > November - Jo Nesbo

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments So what book are you planning to read by Nesbo this month?

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I still have 5 of his waiting for me to read - oh I feel a reading splurge happening (well, more so than normal!)

message 3: by Nidia (new)

Nidia (ninio) | 57 comments I've read all of the ones that have been translated so far and I'm sure everyone is going to enjoy his novels no matter which they choose! He's one of my favorite NN authors!

message 4: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments I'm reading Nemesis right now.

message 5: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I am in the same boat as Nidia..I have read all of his translated books.

message 6: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments well for you guys who have read all his books - where should I start? never read him before

message 7: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments The first one that was translated. Nesbo is very deep into character development of Harry Hole. Or do Headhunters. It think I like Harry Hole better though..not by much, but I still do. I did love the Red Breast.

message 8: by Art (new)

Art | 57 comments I'm stalled on Jo Nesbo as I am still trying to track down a copy of The Redeemer.

message 9: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments so Redbreast is the first translated one right?

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave | 44 comments Add me to the list of "read everything translated so far"

@ Dee, Redbreast is first in storyline (Nemesis however was the first one released in U.S.)

message 11: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments ok, lemme see what my library has - don't know if i'll be able to fit it in this month

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave | 44 comments Harry Hole Series in order:

The Batman (not yet translated)
Cockroaches (not yet translated)
The Redbreast
Nemesis
The Devil's Star
The Redeemer
The Snowman
The Leopard
Phantom (not yet translated)

and the stand alone:

Headhunters

message 13: by Hayley (last edited Nov 02, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I've got the first 5 that are translated due to be read Dave, should be a good November imo :D

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Thanks for posting the list, Dave! Not sure I'll be able to read one in November, but they will definitely be read at some point in time.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson I read Nemesis not too long ago, so was thinking about reading The Redbreast. I'm still hoping, though, that it will come up as a Book of the Month read, so I think I'll keep it shelved for now...
so, either next in the series, The Devil's Star, or the stand-alone, Headhunters.
I'll make up my mind in the next couple days. Looking forward to either (or both) of these!

message 16: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Thanks, Dave..I got The Redeemer ordered from my library.

message 17: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Will read Headhunters

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Having had a crummy day at work, I'm totally in the mood for buying a book. Which one? I loved Headhunters and Snowman.

Should I get Redbreast? It's the first one in the series so I should read it but I'm not too excited by the war plot. Has anyone read this? Does reading it really add to understanding Harry?

message 19: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I loved Red Breast...it was constant action. I thought it was almost a toss-up between a mystery and a historical fiction.

If it is between the two though, I liked Headhunters over Snowman.

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Dave wrote: "Harry Hole Series in order:

The Batman (not yet translated)
Cockroaches (not yet translated)
The Redbreast
Nemesis
The Devil's Star
[book:The Rede..."

My list is like this too Dave but I have another stand alone, The White Hotel...which I cannot yet track down.

message 21: by Art (last edited Nov 02, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Art | 57 comments The Redbreast sort of set the tone for Harry for me and I'm glad I read it first, if that helps.

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Thanks-yes it does.

message 23: by Dave (last edited Nov 02, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Dave | 44 comments Redbreast, Nemesis, and Devil's Star are considered his "Oslo Trilogy" and there is a running thread throughout all three so I would try to read at least those particular ones in order. The Redeemer could be read alone with no problems though.

Harry's character develops and changes alot from book to book, much more than a lot of other series I've read.

message 24: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Thanks Dave-I have Nemesis & was thinking of starting it but between your feedback & Art's, I'm definitely going with Redbreast first.

message 25: by Dave (new)

Dave | 44 comments I actually read Nemesis first as it was the first one available in the U.S. and I found myself a little lost at times because of certain things I had missed in Redbreast. Without giving any spoilers, I'll say that Harry develops relationships (both good and bad) in Redbreast that are important to the follow-up books.

message 26: by Dave (new)

Dave | 44 comments Sharon wrote:My list is like this too Dave but I have another stand alone, The White Hotel...which I cannot yet track down."

I've seen The White Hotel (2007) listed several places, but haven't been able to find anything about the plot, english language release date, etc. It's not listed on Nesbo's website or here on Goodreads. Strange.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) I've just started The Redeemer, having read Redbreast, Nemesis, and Devil's Star in quick succession recently. Glad to have an 'excuse' to read a book I've wanted to get to!

message 28: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dave wrote: "Sharon wrote:My list is like this too Dave but I have another stand alone, The White Hotel...which I cannot yet track down."

I've seen The White Hotel (2007) listed several places, but haven't b..."

Same here..I saw it on his website, but it didn't identify that it had been translated..just what the English title was.

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I put a query on to Jo Nesbo's FB and will let you know if I get any info.

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Reply to query FB J Nesbo re The White Hotel, was it is NOT available in English....and no further info.

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...

brand new interview with Jo Nesbo on Harry Hole now and future....enjoy

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Sharon wrote: "http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...

brand new interview with Jo Nesbo on Harry Hole now and fut..."

I listened to this earlier today, Sharon. I thought it was great and can't help but believe he sees himself in Harry.

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Susan wrote: "Sharon wrote: "http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...

brand new interview with Jo Nesbo on Harry..."

You may be right. Distresses me this need to have main characters self destruct. Becoming too common. But he confirms my fear after reading the last Harry Hole, where can he go from where he now is? Having worked with a good many highly professional people also dealing with horror and terrible crime, I truly do not understand this trend with writers currently. They seem to short change the strength of their character to cope and still retain a hold on life. Disappointing....

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Sharon wrote: "Susan wrote: "Sharon wrote: "http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...

brand new interview with Jo Ne..."

Sharon, I also disliked Nesbo's intention to allow Harry to 'end up in Hell,' I think that's the phrase he used. I've become very attached to Harry and don't think that has to be the outcome. Maybe Nesbo will reconsider, although I know all good things must come to an end.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Only 200 pages into The Redeemer and it seems like the story is winding down. How on earth is Nesbo going to fill the remaining 350+ pages? I am curious to know about references to police in Norway not carrying guns. Is this the standard in Scandinavian countries? How do they function in such a violent world if that is the case?

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Susan wrote: "Only 200 pages into The Redeemer and it seems like the story is winding down. How on earth is Nesbo going to fill the remaining 350+ pages? I am curious to know about references to police in Norw..."

This was one of my favorite Harry Hole books Susan. I suppose because I worked with the Balkans war crimes for so many years, I found the connections quite fascinating and in fact truly and totally believable. I even became quite in tune with the perp for a change. Felt it was a very good read ....stick with it and enjoy. S

message 37: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments I just finished Nemesis and am anxious to get the next one in the series. Excellent.

message 38: by Sharon (new)

Sharon MARILYN wrote: "I just finished Nemesis and am anxious to get the next one in the series. Excellent."

You are in for a treat...they are all pretty good. Enjoy!
The Redbreast
The Devil’s Star
Nemesis
The Redeemer
The Snowman
The Leopard 
Phantom 2012

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Sharon wrote: "MARILYN wrote: "I just finished Nemesis and am anxious to get the next one in the series. Excellent."

The Redbreast
The D..."

Sharon you're always on top of these things! I hadn't realized that Phantom had been added to the list, so I'll have at least three more to look forward to...whenever I finish The Redeemer. Can't find enough time to read this week!

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I just got notified that The Redbreast is available for me ... it was on my wishlist. So I might get to read it this month.

message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) @Martha - I've just started reading The Redbreast - rather enjoying it, glad I bought the other 4 to carry on with :D

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Hayley wrote: "@Martha - I've just started reading The Redbreast - rather enjoying it, glad I bought the other 4 to carry on with :D"

I've heard some others comment that they liked The Redbreast least, but I still think it's my favorite thus far. I'm on The Redeemer, and it might take the crown b/c it's really good, too.

message 43: by MARILYN (new)

MARILYN (MARILYNJ) | 80 comments Sharon wrote: "MARILYN wrote: "I just finished Nemesis and am anxious to get the next one in the series. Excellent."

The Redbreast
The D..."

Thanks for the list Sharon. I added The Devil's Star and the Redeemer to my standing Amazon order list.

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oE8bL...

Jo Nesbo in conversation with James Ellroy

message 45: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Sharon wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oE8bL...

Jo Nesbo in conversation with James Ellroy"

What a cool author...thanks Sharon..I know I really enjoyed it.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) FINALLY finished Nesbo's The Redeemer. Good but overly long I thought. On to Jar City!

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Placed my order for The Snowman on Amazon so I'll have it on my shelf when I'm ready for it!

message 48: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I'm over 1/2 way through Redbreast after too many distractions trying to stop me. Can't wait to finish it now- rather shocked at what happened bout mid-way through:O

message 49: by Helen (new)

Helen | 15 comments Finished the stone cutter a few days ago and now just started The Leopard. Into it already! Does anyone know when the Phantom is due in 2012?? I hope that I don't have to wait too long for my next Harry fix!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Helen wrote: "Finished the stone cutter a few days ago and now just started The Leopard. Into it already! Does anyone know when the Phantom is due in 2012?? I hope that I don't have to wait too long for my next ..."

Where are you, Helen? The Leopard isn't out yet here in the US.

« previous 1