Sci Fi Adventure Club discussion

Book Club Reads > Star Trek A Novel

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bella (new)

Bella  (ellectric) | 56 comments Mod
We will be starting this book in December.

message 2: by Bella (new)

We will start reading it on December 1st, and start the discussion around January 15th. I understand this book will be around the time of the holidays, so I gave people more time to read it.

message 3: by Zerah (new)

Zerah | 5 comments I'll decide if I'll read this. I really dislike the Star Trek series, so.. lol.

message 4: by Bella (new)

It's a novelization of the 2009 film. I've listened to the audiobook, but I've never read the book before.

message 5: by Zerah (new)

Zerah | 5 comments My boyfriend said that the film was really bad?! I could just give it a chance..

message 6: by Bella (new)

Zerah wrote: "My boyfriend said that the film was really bad?! I could just give it a chance.."

No, It wasn't at all. I loved it : )

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments I like Allen Dean Foster. I'll look for this book. My work schedule lately has gotten me tired (many changes going on the workplace, almost got layoff) so I don't do much book shopping.

I'm a long time Trek fan (Not a Trekkie or Trekker but a casual to sometimes semi-serious fan). I have often used the nick name CaptKirk obviously.

message 8: by Bella (new)

Kirk wrote: "I like Allen Dean Foster. I'll look for this book. My work schedule lately has gotten me tired (many changes going on the workplace, almost got layoff) so I don't do much book shopping.

I'm a long..."
It was a really good book, I heard the audio book. I'm giving people time to get it, as I didn't put it up to read till December. I'm a big Trekkie and I can't wait to share this book with the club and see their comments about it. :) Sorry about your troubles.

message 9: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 5 comments No worries, I am not a die hard fan myself, I've seen everything over time but this was the first movie I really loved, so I bought the audiobook. I wonder if there's any difference between the actual book and the audiobook. I loved the audiobook haven't listened to it in a while tho.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Lexie,
I guess you will find out when you read the book. Unless the audiobook is an abridged version I think the audio versions of books are faithful to the books. I don't usually go for audiobooks I'd rather read the book myself.

I recall in the 1980s they had some audio books of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books (at the time just the 4 books in the series) as read by Stephen Moore the actor who played Marvin the Paranoid Android in the Hitchhikers BBC TV production. I only have the first audiobook from that series, but heard the others because I had a friend who had them all. That series was excellently done, they even had sound effects. Later on they did some as read by the Author Douglas Adams. The ones with Adams are the only ones that can be found now-a-days. Those I have not heard.

message 11: by Lexie (new)

Lexie | 5 comments Kirk, Both my dad and my brother are die hard star trek fans, and I've had a few friends that were too. I know that Allen Dean Foster is a really good writer from what they've said. I might just stick to the audiobook based on what you've said though.

Zerah, It really depends on whom you ask about the movie-some ST fans can't tolerate it, and some think it's great. My father has been a fan from the original series on and loved it. So you never know. *shrugs* Try a paragraph or two of the book and see?

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Just ordered a "Buy It Now" copy on Ebay for $8.00 shipping FREE. I should be ready to start reading this one on time.

message 13: by Bella (new)

Kirk wrote: "Just ordered a "Buy It Now" copy on Ebay for $8.00 shipping FREE. I should be ready to start reading this one on time."
Wow! What a great price! I can't wait to start reading it. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Yay my copy arrived today (16 NOV) I will be starting this one on time (I can't always guarantee that). Cool.

message 15: by Bella (new)

I started reading it yesterday. : )

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Elle wrote: "I started reading it yesterday. : )"

Ditto.
It is hard to put down my last update puts me at 43% done. If I can get some reading in over the weekend I should be able to finish it before Monday. Not sure if I'll have some weekend reading time.

message 17: by Bella (new)

Kirk wrote: "Elle wrote: "I started reading it yesterday. : )"

Ditto.
It is hard to put down my last update puts me at 43% done. If I can get some reading in over the weekend I should be able to finish it befo..."
Wow! You read fast! I'm a slower reader, But I'm sure I'll still get it done on time. I love this book.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 26 comments Actually I'm a slow reader but I am really getting into this one, plus recently I've had more opportunities for reading during my breaks at work. Upon second look at my weekend I probably won't get much reading done during the weekend as originally thought. :(

message 19: by Bella (new)

i'm still not finished with it,but it appears that the book is exactly as the audiobook was,they didn't change a thing.i will make a date sometime in jan. for us all to meet and discuss the book. i'm going to also prepare 3 questions to get the discussion going.

message 20: by Bella (new)

On January 20th I'm going to be posting the 3 questions to get the discussion going on the group for this novel, I hope you will be here to chat with us. I will most likely post it in the afternoon.