Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Divergent > Where does this rank amongst YA Dystopians?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
Where does "Divergent" rank amongst the hundreds of young adult dystopia novels. Does it, in your opinion, measure up to books like 'The Hunger Games'? Why or why not?

message 2: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments It was good....but I don't think it was FANTASTIC. I like The Maze Runner better, that's my favorite dystopian though. :P

message 3: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I enjoyed The Hunger Games more, personally. But then... I just kind of couldn't stand Divergent.
My favorite Dystopian (does this count?) Would be The Chaos Walking trilogy, though I'm not completely certain that it's dystopian. It's definitely Science Fiction.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I'd say Chaos Walking is like dystopian on another planet. Which kind of goes against the definition of dystopian, but it feels dystopian.

I personally didn't like either this or the Hunger Games as much as may people do. The thing about dystopians is that people have decided they are the way to create bestsellers, so there are SO. MANY. right now. And when there are so many, it's hard to be original. I'd say the best dystopian I've read recently would be the Forest of Hands and teeth, and I found issues in even that. I feel like there's more, including at least one I really liked, but I can't think of it at the moment. But it was definitely one of the first I read.

message 5: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments I agree Kate. There is too many for my liking.

message 6: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I know what you mean. It's the new paranormal romance thing and people are going to publish them and see how much money they can squeeze out of the readers.
Bah.

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara | 3 comments I would say that it's not as good as HG, but it's pretty darn close.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (11soccergirl) | 4 comments I liked this as much a the Hunger Games! I like how they have factions, and just thought both books were really interesting!

message 9: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (rainyvaleria) | 41 comments I like divergent more than the hunger games.
Both the books so far were amazing, but the last two weren't as good as the first HG book.
So, that's why I prefer divergent.

message 10: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (rainyvaleria) | 41 comments Ugh let me reword it--
The last 2 HG books kinda upset me.
--
So far the first 2 divergent books were amazing.
=-
overall, i love divegent better then hg :3

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie better than the hunger games

message 12: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 271 comments I liked it, but it wasn't amazing. The plot didn't offer me enough (I don't know why). It won the Goodreads choice awards and I was expecting it to be phenomenal, but it wasn't. Not to me, anyway.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

definitely better than the Hunger Games and Matched...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Better! One of my favorites!!

message 15: by A (new)

A H Better than Hunger Games....

message 16: by Jane (new)

Jane | 11 comments The Best!!

message 17: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rsr13) | 179 comments i liked divergent sooooooooo much better than hunger games

message 18: by Nerise (new)

Nerise | 3 comments Better than HG