Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > November 2012 Group Read: Nocturnes *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tressa (last edited Nov 01, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The November group read is Nocturnes by John Connolly.

Happy reading and discussing.

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Isn't it the November group read?

I love this book. Connolly writes short stories as well as he writes novels.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Gah, yes. Thanks for seeing that month mistake, Gator. I don't know what's wrong with me lately. Can't concentrate! But I've gotten September and November mixed up before; do the same with April and May. No, I can't explain it so don't even ask.

I'm in the mood for some good short stories.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments This collection is great! I read it back in August. Some of the stories are really creepy.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I hope you remember them so you can join in. It's always fun when you poke your head into a discussion thread. Remember how much fun we had in the Flowers in the Attic--They Do It thread? Good times.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I'm not sure I can get a copy in time, but will try.

message 7: by Paula (last edited Nov 04, 2011 12:09AM) (new)

Paula (paulavee) | -34 comments I read that The Reflecting Eye story in Nocturnes connects the 4th book The White Road to the 5th book The Black Angel in the Charlie Parker series. I am just finishing the White Road so perfect timing. IMO John Connolly is a very talented author I am enjoying continuing in the series I plan to keep reading the series through his latest 10th book The Burning Soul.

message 8: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Paula wrote: "I read that The Reflecting Eye story in Nocturnes connects the 4th book The White Road to the 5th book The Black Angel in the Charlie Parker series. I am just finishing the White Road so perfect ti..."

Glad you are enjoying them Paula, you will not be disappointed with the rest of the series.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm a little confused about John Connolly. Does he write horror? Fantasy? Those mystery thrillers I don't care for? I just can't put my finger on him. Or am I getting him mixed up with another Connolly?

message 10: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm a little confused about John Connolly. Does he write horror? Fantasy? Those mystery thrillers I don't care for? I just can't put my finger on him. Or am I getting him mixed up with another Conn..."

His Charlie Parker books are technically "thrillers" but they add elements of horror and the supernatural which make them different than the usual thriller. He has also written fantasy books that have an element of horror to them. His short stories are dark like his novels and have horror and supernatural elements to them.

He doesn't really fit into just one category which is why I love his work so much. He writes like a poet.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, that's one kind of genre I do not like: thrillers with a supernatural element to them. Still, looking forward to Nocturnes after I read The Night Eternal.

message 12: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments I loved his Book of Lost Things. I'm really looking forward to Nocturnes.

message 13: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1896 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm a little confused about John Connolly. Does he write horror? Fantasy? Those mystery thrillers I don't care for? I just can't put my finger on him. Or am I getting him mixed up with another Conn..."

I think you are thinking of Michael Connelly, Tressa; he does a series as well. Thrillers, suspense :)

message 14: by Tressa (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:11AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, I see Michael Connelly's thrillers sitting near John Connolly's books. I used to really get them mixed up. But Gator says that JC does have some thrillers, so now I know I'm not going crazy when someone here describes a JC book that sounds suspiciously like a thriller and not a horror.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments "The Erlking" was pretty good but I feel it was missing something.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Tressa wrote: "Yeah, I see Michael Connelly's thrillers sitting near John Connolly's books. I used to really get them mixed up. But Gator says that JC does have some thrillers, so now I know I'm not going crazy w..."

Well there's a Charlie Parker novella in Nocturnes so you can get a taste for his other books. (which I have not read except for The Book of Lost Things which is fantasy). And thanks for the compliment, Tressa. We did have some fun discussing Flowers In The Attic :) I read this book while staying with my boyfriend in a hotel in SC. He was working and would come home around 2am. Any time I tried to crawl in bed and read before he came home I'd have to give up because I'd get creeped out. Combination of the book and hating sleeping in hotel rooms (even really nice ones, like that one was).

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Anybody gotten through The Cancer Cowbody?

I really liked it. Very strange concept but I think it should have been fleshed out a little bit more and the ending was a bit abrupt.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Felina wrote: "Anybody gotten through The Cancer Cowbody?

I really liked it. Very strange concept but I think it should have been fleshed out a little bit more and the ending was a bit abrupt."

I really liked The Cancer Cowboy but I also wish it had been fleshed out a little bit. I also sorta wish I had realized going in that it was more of a novella than a short story. I may have been more patient with it at the beginning.

message 19: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Rachel wrote: "Felina wrote: "Anybody gotten through The Cancer Cowbody?

I really liked it. Very strange concept but I think it should have been fleshed out a little bit more and the ending was a bit abrupt."

I..."

For real Rach (view spoiler)

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I am almost finished with the third Strain book and will start on Nocturnes ASAP. Can't wait to discuss.

Looks like I'll finally get to read about Charlie Parker, then. That's good. I'm tired of hearing about him!

message 21: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tressa wrote: "I am almost finished with the third Strain book and will start on Nocturnes ASAP. Can't wait to discuss.

Looks like I'll finally get to read about Charlie Parker, then. That's good. I'm tired of ..."

You only get a brief glimpse of him in Nocturnes. You really need to read one of the novels for a true taste.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments If I like the glimpse, I might read more of him.

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments My ILLiad copy should finally be here by the end of this week. Looking foward to chatting it up.

message 24: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments I am almost finished with The Cancer Cowboy, which is pretty interesting and weird. I don't know too much about John Connolly so I am excited to read the rest of the stories here.

message 25: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments I've finished Mr. Pettinger's Daemon, The Erlking and The New Daughter.

Pettingers was pretty good but I loved Erlking and New Daughter. Both completely creepy and so vivid. Gave me goosebumps. I am loving this book. I've only read Connolly's The Book of Lost Things and I loved that book to. I'll have to move his books to the top of my tbr.

message 26: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments I am done with the bulk of the book and am about to start the "The Reflecting Eye" novella.

I have to say that I enjoy the stories and have seen shades of King and Lovecraft among other influences. Starting with "The Cancer Cowboy," I felt that the stories ended too abruptly, but after reading the rest of the shorter stories, I realize that Connolly is purposely leaving stories open in order to show how evil often remains in the world unsolved.

So far my favorites are probably "The New Daughter,"The Inkpot Monkey," "Some Children Wander by Mistake," and "The Cancer Cowboy."

I really like the body horror elements in several of the stories as well.

message 27: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Oscar wrote: "I really like the body horror elements in several of the stories as well. "

Agreed.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Argh. I am behind starting this. I am about to start it.

message 29: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Get on it Tressa. It's a good one. :)

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Will hopefully start it this weekend. Night Eternal is sort of dragging at the end; it's not as good as the first one, that's for sure.

message 31: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments Just got my copy today, so I'll be starting The Cancer Cowboy Rides tonight.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Argh. Yes, I will start this tonight if possible. Just need to put it on my Kindle. I was ticked my department's copy has gone missing.

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What did everyone think of Cancer Cowboy? I wasn't really impressed. I mean the writing is good, but the characters seem like stock characters and the ending was predictable. It was just page after page of a man infecting a town. I just don't get it.

message 34: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I have just joined the group when do we find out the December read?

message 35: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments I liked the Cancer Cowboy well enough. I thought the ending was abrupt but I didn't mind the telling. There was zero character development however but I thought the idea was cool.

My favorite so far have been The Erkling, The New Daughter and The Underbury Witches. I'm just shy of halfway but enjoying it so far.

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, the next mod should be posting about the December read soon, Marc.

The best story is usually the first one in a book. I hope the others are better than Cowboy. It's not a bad story, but when you've been reading horror for a long time, that ending is pretty predictable. The second one sounds promising, though. I love stories about demons.

message 37: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Great, I am really looking forward to participating, this group seems really interesting.

message 38: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I thoroughly enjoyed The Cancer Cowboy Rides. For me, with short stories, the endings don't have to be unpredictable, just satisfying. I've read many King short stories where I could see the ending coming and still enjoyed the ride.

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm the opposite—can't stand predictable even in a short story. Or maybe a predictable ending is OK as long as the beginning and middle part of the story took me in directions I didn't know I was going.

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Marc, you can look at past group reads and reanimate those if you've read the stories and have anything to say.

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Read the second story about a demon, thought it was lacking, too. Hard to believe that some (view spoiler)

message 42: by Felina (last edited Nov 26, 2011 04:45PM) (new)

Felina | 83 comments Tressa wrote: "Read the second story about a demon, thought it was lacking, too. Hard to believe that some [spoilers removed]"

I wasn't as impressed with that one either. I liked the ambiance but otherwise I thought it was strange. I kept picturing the demon as (view spoiler)

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It started out with some nice chilling atmosphere, and by the end I'm like, really? This is it? I've read this story dozens of times in my life.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I agree, the ending didn't really carry through with the spooky atomosphere. I think this is one of those stories where the ending is supposed to be spooky because (view spoiler)

message 45: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yeah, didn't the priest (view spoiler) I wasn't spooked. I started the third story but now don't remember what it's about.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Tressa wrote: "Yeah, didn't the priest [spoilers removed] I wasn't spooked. I started the third story but now don't remember what it's about."

I can't remember the titles until someone mentions what the story is about, Except for Cancer Cowboy. I did read this back in August. I've been force fed lots of knowledge since then, on top of books I've read for fun.

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I remember now that I am kind of digging the third story, "The Erlking" or something like that. Pretty spooky.

message 48: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments I thought the one's that revolved around children were the spookiest. Seems like Connoly writes about that a bit (I haven't read any of his other works).

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've already read two almost back to back about stolen children.

"The New Daughter" is very good. Really enjoyed this one. I'd forget about selling the house though! zoom! I'm gone. Actually this story is spooky as hell.

message 50: by Felina (new)

Felina | 83 comments Tressa wrote: "I've already read two almost back to back about stolen children.

"The New Daughter" is very good. Really enjoyed this one. I'd forget about selling the house though! zoom! I'm gone. Actually this ..."

I agree. Why do people never just leave when scary stuff starts happening? Leave and sell it while you AREN'T LIVING THERE!!

« previous 1