"REHAB" discussion

HELP > Applications and Scholarships.

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Katerina (klymene) | 2740 comments Mod
Here you can get help on how to word things in your applications for scholarships, colleges, or even just school societies, like NHS.

I guess we can also discuss scholarship opportunities.

Also, I want to warn all of you about the power of Google. Because this is a public group, anyone, even someone not on Goodreads, can see anything you post. In fact, most groups you can join without an invite are exposed to the public eye. I just realized that when I searched "Klymene Goodreads." Also, your reviews will sometimes show up on other sites, such as Google Books, or This one: https://market.android.com/details?id... for example.

And, ah, for some reason, my review (which is a sentence long) is posted first.

The top 2 results for "Klymene Goodreads" were about my impromptu writing (which I have now deleted), and my problem at badminton(which is also deleted).

Go search your name, in conjunction with Goodreads. And see what awkwardness you find. ;)

Note: Scholarships often check your social networking sites, to see what you're really like. This is a social networking site, like Facebook is.

message 2: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Hannah | 3223 comments Mod
Yeah Google is powerful. Lucky for me, there are so many HANNAh's I'm not even listed on the first few. Sorry klymy...WAY.

message 3: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

But you are listed in the later few, right? And what if they search "Hannah, Rehab, Goodreads"?

message 4: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Okay the very first one that came up was about my Monkey posts on here. :D HAHA

But not my profile.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) You can fix it so your name won't show up in any searches........

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Or any of your posts, that is why I actually like Goodreads because they prevent your name, posts, profile excetra being looking up in a search. I just searched mine to double check that it works and every Irene but me came up :)

message 7: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 710 comments This is a good reminder, Klym. When I first joined I had my privacy settings up super high, but then I relaxed them a bit (but only so that GR members could seem y stuff), but I've heightened the security settings for me. And while I don't post anything here that I would care if someone saw, GR has record of all my posts- and some of those are kinda embarrassing since I was several years younger than I am now when I first joined.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) ^same here, don't care if anyone saw but I would pefer they stay off the general web.

message 9: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

How did you do that? I really need to know...

Of course you'd be associated with Monkey, Hannah. He's like, your other virtual half.

I don't really mind, but because my identity is kinda, well, unknown, I feel more relaxed and its easier for me to speak my mind. Like when I got angsty against Andy. Not that it matters. I don't censor my words as much here, because I'm not too worried about it coming back and hurting me. Although that has obviously been disproven.

And no offense to anyone...

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) It should be in your settings, something along the lines of "will not appear in Aeschylus engine searches"

message 11: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:26PM) (new)

Aeschylus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschylus
The father of tragedy. Ironic, is it not?

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Oops, I have auto correct spelling so it sometimes inserts words I don't mean because I have misspelled them or accidentally add too many letters. What I mentioned was "in any " but yes it is ironic :)

message 13: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

But I can't find that either! What tab of the "edit profile" was it on?

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Settings

Just read all the little discriptions and you should see it.

message 15: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Can't. Calc exam tomorrow. And I tried that, like, 3 times already.

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Aw, I'm sorry. It is under the same section on the settings tab where you set who can see what. Night, it is midnight here (shame on me, I have a test tomorrow)

message 17: by Hannah, Don't TOUCH my Title Klymy. (new)

Of course Monkey is my virtual half. He is! :D @(^_^)@

message 18: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) www.collegeboard.com is really good for scholarships and www.fastwebs.com is pretty great too.

message 19: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

Yes, I'm using Fastweb right now. Google's actually quite good too. On piece of advice I'd give is to keep an up-to-date resume handy. It may seem like a lot of work to keep it up, but it is worth it when you need to turn in a resume for college or work. Write down EVERYTHING you do. Jobs, extra curriculars, special awards.

My school uses Naviance, but if any of you have a certain website that your school uses to announce stuff like college visits and such, make good use of it!

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) I love that my school puts out a biweekly scholarship/loan/grant news letter that is free to grab out of the box outside the guidance office.

message 21: by Katerina, Mother Gothel's Cake (new)

That would be so great if my school did that.

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) One of the graduation counselors puts it out and it is pretty informative for one sheet if paper, front and back.