Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's October 2011 Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments 18 books this month......and I think I got a little "cozy" overload!! I'm lining up some UF for November!

Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4) by Diana Killian Death in a Difficult Position by Diana Killian: 4th in Mantra for Murder series and another winner for me. I really enjoy this series and I learn a little about yoga, too. Grade: 8.5

Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) by Jessica Beck Tragic Toppings by Jessica Beck: 5th Donut Shop series and this series has definitely improved as it's gone along. This one was actually pretty good. Grade: 7

Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1) by Ella Barrick Quickstep to Murder by Ella Barrick: 1st in new Ballroom Dance series and a great first outing. Really liked this one and it's got great potential. Grade: 8

Button Holed (Button Box Mystery #1) by Kylie Logan Button Holed by Kylie Logan: another first in series and who would've thought that a story revolving around a button shop could be so compelling? Grade: 8.5

One Foot In The Gravy (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #2) by Delia Rosen One Foot In The Gravy by Delia Rosen: 2nd in Nashville Deli series and a total bust. Enough said. Grade: 3

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma: not my usual read and definitely not something that would appeal to everyone. This dealt with incest, but it was a story about much more than that. Hearbreaking. Grade: 9.5

Enthralled Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions edited by Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong: short collection with a few real standouts and many based on series I've never read before...and probably never will. Grade: 6

Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3) by Jenn McKinlay Death by the Dozen by Jenn McKinlay: 3rd in Cupcake Bakery series and another winner. This series became a favorite for me right off the bat! Grade: 9

How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party-Planning Mystery, #4) by Penny Warner How to Party with a Killer Vampire by Penny Warner: 4th in Party Planner series and a fun read. I knew a bit about Colma, CA, from other things I've read but learned a bit more from this book. Grade: 8.5

Dead Head (Dirty Business, #3) by Rosemary Harris Dead Head by Rosemary Harris: 3rd in Dirty Business Gardening series and while probably not a bad book really, the gardening stuff is just totally lost on me. Grade: 4.5

Frozen Stiff (A Mattie Winston Mystery #3) by Annelise Ryan Frozen Stiff by Annelise Ryan: 3rd in Mattie Winston Forensic series and another good read. I'm not too keen on where it looks like her relationship might go, though. Grade: 8

Memory in Death (In Death, #22) by J.D. Robb Memory in Death by J.D. Robb: 22nd In Death book and I think I need to leave these alone for a good while. This one was hard to finish because it didn't hold my interest for long. Grade: 4

Flashback (Anna Pigeon Mysteries, #11) by Nevada Barr Flashback by Nevada Barr: 11th Anna Pigeon book and another series I guess I need to stay away from for awhile longer. This took me over a month to finish. Grade: 4

Fateful by Claudia Gray Fateful by Claudia Gray: Werewolves and the sinking of the Titanic. Odd combination, but it worked. Grade: 7.5

Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery) by Grace Carroll Shoe Done It by Grace Carroll: 1st in new series, and to be blunt it sucked. Grade: 2

Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery #1) by Liz Lipperman Liver Let Die by Liz Lipperman: another 1st in series, and while better than the previously mentioned book, nothing to write home about. Grade: 4.5

Vision Impossible (Psychic Eye Mystery, #9) by Victoria Laurie Vision Impossible by Victoria Laurie: 9th in Abby Cooper Psychic Eye series and I've always enjoyed these books....until this one! A totally wasted evening. Grade: 2

Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1) by Karen MacInerney Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney: 1st in Gray Whale Inn series and a good enough read. I'd be willing to read another and there's a blueberry coffee cake recipe in it I'd love to try! Grade: 5.5

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Melodie - great month! Re Flashback - I enjoyed both time frames, but also imagine the alternating point of view changes from contemporary to historical settings 'helped' you put it down and pick up later.
Melodie wrote: "18 books this month......and I think I got a little "cozy" overload!! I'm lining up some UF for November!
Flashback by Nevada Barr: 11th Anna Pigeon book and another series I guess I need to stay away from for awhile longer. This took me over a month to finish. "

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Melodie, I think I enjoy reading about when you dislike a book as much as when you like it, LOL!

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments What a big mixed bag kind of month you had! I am still at the early stages in the ...In Death series and keep meaning to go on. Was this your 1st dud or have you been getting more and more disappointed?

message 5: by Melodie (last edited Nov 02, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Marcy wrote: "What a big mixed bag kind of month you had! I am still at the early stages in the ...In Death series and keep meaning to go on. Was this your 1st dud or have you been getting more and more disapp..."

I think I've read too many of them this year! I've been reading in order and had read one of them a few years ago, so I think I've read about 20 of them this year and last. I've got the next one in The Pile coming up pretty soon and then I think I'll take a break from them until next summer or so. This is the first one I've rated this low, most have been much better. There's one where they go to Ireland that I really liked, but don't remember which one it was.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Way to go Melodie! I love your reviews, because I agree with you a lot...so I know which books I can probably skip ;)