Teresa Medeiros Fans! discussion

Monthly Book Reads > Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (November 2011 Book of the Month)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 211 (211 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 739 comments Mod
Hello everyone! This month's winner for the November Book of the Month is Dark Lover by J.R. Ward. Feel free to discuss about what you loved or hated about this book!

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Nov 06, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments You know, don't hate me, but I tried to read the first book once and got about 1/2 through and stopped. However, a friend that I do a lot of "buddy reads" with says I must give this book another shot. I do remember I liked the relationship between the H/h. However, I guess the secondary characters were too young for me, or hip or whatever the term is now used. Not that I can't relate... but I wasn't getting into the lingo.

Understand?

However, I will make another attempt. I have found that doing "buddy reads" really increases the enjoyment of a book for me b/c I love the discussions.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

That's great Lisa!! I just bought this book and I'm definitely going to try to read it this month.

message 4: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Well, I'm not going to read it this month. I'm booked. So is my "buddy read" partner. But eventually.

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Keep us posted on what you think.

message 6: by Ronyell (new)

Thanks! I will!

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin H I already read this book...I'm up to the 7th in the series. This book is such a great introduction and the heroine is one of my favorites in the series!!

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) Erin wrote: "I already read this book...I'm up to the 7th in the series. This book is such a great introduction and the heroine is one of my favorites in the series!!"

I agree with you that Dark Lover is a great introduction to a phenomenal series. It got me totally hooked!! I read the latest book in the series, Lover Unleashed, this year. My favourite book in the series is still the 3rd one Lover Awakened.

message 9: by Sans (new)

Sans Hi guys! Lisa Kay and I are going to read Dark Lover as a buddy read (finally). I'm thinking we can start today or tomorrow (Thursday is good too)? Since my work is being crazy, we were planning on reading one chapter each day, then posting questions every other day. At least to start with. ^o^

Lisa, if all goes well, we can make this a series buddy read. *waggles eyebrows* C'mon. You know you wanna say yes.

message 10: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 01, 2011 10:32AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Yes! I'm in, Sans. One chapter a day, I can do.

Dark Lover characters from Shelfari:

Wrath: The last purebred vampire on the planet and the vampire race's king. Essentially blind, he is the leader who is not willing to lead until he is forced.
Beth Randall: Daughter of Darius, Beth is a half human half vampire about to go through the transition. She is a reporter at the Caldwell Courier Journal.
Boo: Beth's black cat.
Billy Riddle: Son of Senator William Riddle.
Fritz Perlmutter: Initially Darius' doggen, butler extraordinaire.
Havers: Doctor to the race, blooded son of Wallen, brother to Marissa.
Marrissa: Blooded daughter of Wallen, sister to Havers the race's physician. Wrath's first shellan.
The Scribe Virgin: "Analisse" - The mother of all vampires.
Phury: Member of the Brotherhood. Son of Aghony and Zsadist's twin.
Vishous: Red Sox fan, very intelligent and is tech-savvy. Most intelligent among the Brothers. Member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood
Zsadist: Member of the Brotherhood. Twin brother of Phury who was a blood slave.
Rhage: Son of Tohrture, member of the Brotherhood. Was dubbed by the others as Hollywood because of his good looks.
Wellasandra: Blooded daughter of Relix, mated to the Black Dagger Warrior, Tohrment. Wellsie is her nickname.
Tohrment: Son of Hharm, member of Brotherhood. Essentially, second-in-command of the Brotherhood. Married to Wellsie/Wellasandra.
Darius: Son of Marklon, son of Horusman. Warrior of BDB, father to Beth.
Mr. X: Fore-lesser, leader of the Lessening Society.
Brian (Butch) O'Neal: Detective with the Caldwell Police Department.
José de la Cruz: Detective with the Caldwell Police Department, friend of Beth.
Dick: Beth's boss at the newspaper.

message 11: by Sans (new)

Sans One chapter is good for me, too. That'll carry me through a couple of urgent and annual projects at work. Once I'm past those, I can think about picking up the pace.

message 12: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Hey guys!

message 13: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Hey, Anomander!

message 14: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi When do we start?

message 15: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments I think I can post questions for the first two chapters on Thursday. This is going to go slow, Anomander. Is that okay with you?

message 16: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Yes, very! I shouldn't add to the mountain of books I need to read but its you guys. I don't wanna miss this. So slow's good!:-)

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Great, Anomander! We've done this before and it is amazing how fast the time flies by. Before you know it, you have another book off your TBR pile. ☺

message 18: by Sans (new)

Sans I can get questions together for chapters 3 & 4 to be posted on Saturday.

message 19: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Okay! Nite,Lisa Kay and San-who-seems-to-have-disappeared!

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Good night, A! Sleep tight. ☺

message 21: by Sans (new)

Sans Sorry, had to run an errand. N'night Anomander!

message 22: by Lina (new)

Lina Hi Guys, I'm in :-)

message 23: by Sans (new)

Sans Woohoo!

message 24: by Ronyell (new)

I think I'll join the group read too!

message 25: by Sans (new)

Sans Awesomesauce! This is going to be fun!

message 26: by Ronyell (new)

Yeah!

message 27: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Awesomesauce? I like it!!

message 28: by Sans (new)

Sans OMG, Lisa Kay, I just remembered. Don't listen to the audiobook! It'll put you right off the story. I call the narrator a would-be Shatner. He's got no sense of pace, makes every line overly dramatic and can't do women's voices or accents to save his hide. Quick woman, go find your paperback!

message 29: by Sans (new)

Sans Anomander wrote: "Awesomesauce? I like it!!"

I totally stole it from the Smart Bitches. ^o^

I've also got two of my bosses saying it.

message 30: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi *giggles* Is work better now?

message 31: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Sans wrote: "OMG, Lisa Kay, I just remembered. Don't listen to the audiobook! It'll put you right off the story. I call the narrator a would-be Shatner. He's got no sense of pace, makes every line overly dramat..."

LOL! Okay, I'm warned. I also have the PB. ☺

message 32: by Sans (new)

Sans Anomander wrote: "*giggles* Is work better now?"

That'd be a no, but I'm focusing on that nice, fat bonus I should be seeing in another month. ^o^

message 33: by Sans (new)

Sans Lisa Kay wrote: "LOL! Okay, I'm warned. I also have the PB. ☺ "

Whew! Crisis averted.

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Yum! Fat bonuses are good!

message 35: by Sans (new)

Sans VERY good. ^O^

message 36: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments What are you going to do with that bonus, Sans? (view spoiler)

message 37: by Sans (new)

Sans Gonna buy a new mattress (mine is almost 13 years old and massively uncomfortable), get concert tickets to see Luke Bryan in Nashville and Eric Church in either Savannah or Fort Wayne and plane tickets go get out there for the shows! And hotels and rental cars. And some books. I'm setting aside a couple hundred for books alone. The rest is going into paying off credit cards and savings for my trip to Ireland in June. I'm so lucky that my company is generous at year end! Of course, i don't know how much i'm getting, but if trends from the past few years hold, it'll be great.

message 38: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Oh, you’re going to the Emerald Isle? Great!

message 39: by Sans (new)

Sans I'm looking forward to it. I'd rather tour the Highlands, but my travel companion wants to go back to Ireland. Since I haven't been (and since we went to Scotland together a couple years ago), we agreed on Ireland.

message 40: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Okay, I posted a list of characters on comment #10.

Questions upcoming.

message 41: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 & 2

1. I thought the nightclub scene was well written, giving me a great sense of time, place, and characters. I certainly liked it even better on this second read. Did it draw you in too?

2. Eek! I forgot about the (view spoiler). I only got half way through this book on my first attempt. That passage was a little too graphic for me. Stupid, dangerous punks. How about you? And why do men like that ALWAYS think a woman is going to “beg for it” before it is over with? Is there some kind of extra Y-chromosomal egomaniacal thing going on? ? I thought for a minute that JRW was going to go the cliché route and have Wrath come save her, (view spoiler) Phew!

3. Whoa! Okay, I know something is going to change Wrath’s mind about “helping” Beth Randall with her transition, and I figured her father, Darius, wouldn’t live long; however, I didn’t put these two things together until the (view spoiler). Did you?

message 42: by Sans (last edited Dec 01, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Sans Sans' answers for Chapters 1 & 2

1. I thought the nightclub scene was well written, giving me a great sense of time, place, and characters. I certainly liked it even better on this second read. Did it draw you in too?

It always does. This is the...fourth? fifth? time I've read this book and it never gets old.

2. Eek! I forgot about the (view spoiler). I only got half way through this book on my first attempt. That passage was a little too graphic for me. Stupid, dangerous punks. How about you? And why do men like that ALWAYS think a woman is going to “beg for it” before it is over with? Is there some kind of extra Y-chromosomal egomaniacal thing going on? ? I thought for a minute that JRW was going to go the cliché route and have Wrath come save her, (view spoiler) Phew!
Not too graphic, I've (sadly) read worse. I wonder about the "begging for it" crap myself. Delusional little bastards who need to be castrated. And not chemically. I'm glad the cliche didn't happen too!

3. Whoa! Okay, I know something is going to change Wrath’s mind about “helping” Beth Randall with her transition, and I figured her father, Darius, wouldn’t live long; however, I didn’t put these two things together until the (view spoiler). Did you?
First time I read this? Nope, I didn't see that coming but it totally made sense why Wrath would change his mind.

message 43: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 01, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments @ Sans

#1 - Wow! You've read this book that many times! Someone was asking me why I stopped... I told them about the "hip" dialogue throwing me off, which you will be able help me decipher now, LOL!

#2 - Really! DLB's. Love it. And don't get me wrong; I don't mind if Wrath saves her later; I enjoy a good hero save every now and then, but not every time. Plus, I didn't want her too helpless at the beginning.

#3 - Mind meld already. ☺

message 44: by Sans (new)

Sans @Lisa

1. I know, I'm sad. ^o^

2. Exactly!

3. It's because we're awesome.

message 45: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Awesomesaucy! ☺

message 46: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments Ooops! I listened into Chapter 5. It is good. ☺

message 47: by Sans (new)

Sans I told you!

message 48: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 02, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 590 comments You were right, Sans; however, I am enjoying the audio version.

Where's Anomander?

message 49: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi Hey..*sleepy* just woke up! *yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn*

message 50: by Lina (new)

Lina I haven't been getting the notifications for this! Glad I checked.

« previous 1 3 4 5