Readit1st Book Club discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games > Hunger Games First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not leading the discussion for this book but I thought I'd go ahead and throw up a general discussion post anyway. I've already read The Hunger Games and let me just say if you haven't read it and your hesitant, you need to give it a chance. Personally I thought it was fabulous.

What are your first impressions of the story if you've just started reading it? How did you like it if you've read it before?

Stephanie (stephyblue) I've read it twice already, and it's one of my favorite books. It's refreshing that for once a YA novel doesn't revolve around a love story, even though it is in the background. The storyline was extremely disturbing, there were times as I was reading it that my heart was racing, as if I was watching a very suspenseful movie. Speaking of movie, I will throw a fit if the upcoming movie puts too much emphasis on the 'love triangle', like I know it will...

Jessica (jsnail) This book was so amazing. I've loved dystopian society novels since I was required to read a myriad of them in high school. The premise reminded me of Battle Royale, but less gory. I agree with Stephanie about the love triangle. To be honest I barely even understood the emphasis on the love triangle..but that's for another area, no spoilers! =]

Bonnie Rose (bonnierosem) | 5 comments I've read it and it was so amazing. I was a little late to The Hunger Games party. I read the series when Mockingjay came out. I finished it in two weeks, would've been shorter, but I had class. I didn't feel that there was 'love triangle'. Though I was already on a team. It felt to me obvious who the choice was.

Winston | 6 comments I loved the first two books. I thought Mockingjay was weird and a different style. I'm a huge fan of survival and dystopia books though, so it's right up my alley. I don't think the movie will be good, but I'm normally not a fan of movie adoptions.

Emma Keyes (ekeyed) I actually did not like Mockingjay at all but I loved the first two. The characters are for the most part intersting and dynamic.

Riza (Pages and Coffee Cups) (pagesandcc) | 7 comments It was pretty fast-paced. But I loved it. Even back from the first chapter, all through out. Kept me hanging by a thread every chapter.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (thecollectedworks) | 5 comments This was definitely one of those books that lead to a dead-eyed and exhausted day at uni the following morning, because I simply couldn't put it down! I hadn't gotten this excited over a series of books for years, and it's just an amazing reading experience. Luckily for me I didn't read the first book until all three were released, so I had no problem buying the second book the next day, otherwise I'm not sure how I would have coped with the cliffhangers, ha.

So for everyone who hasn't read this one yet, I wouldn't start it until you've got some spare time in front of you, because once you start at book 1, page 1, you probably aren't going to want to stop until you get the last page of Mockingjay :D

Riza (Pages and Coffee Cups) (pagesandcc) | 7 comments Agreeing to Amy right there! I got pretty much addicted to the first book that I even sneaked it below the dinner table so that my mother couldn't see me reading it while we were eating. Haha.

Trisha I already finished the series and I LOVED it! I couldn't put it down! I think I finished the series in a week. At first glance, I thought that I would hate the series. I am a mom of toddlers, and any book having to do with children stresses me out, but a book club was reading it, so I gave it a try. Couldn't stop reading it!! I just hope that the film does it justice.

message 11: by Riza (Pages and Coffee Cups) (last edited Nov 19, 2011 09:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Riza (Pages and Coffee Cups) (pagesandcc) | 7 comments Trisha wrote: "I already finished the series and I LOVED it! I couldn't put it down! I think I finished the series in a week. At first glance, I thought that I would hate the series. I am a mom of toddlers, a..."

I think the film will. Have you seen it's official trailer? It was released I think last Nov 14. It was pure awesomeness. It's already been a while since I last read The Hunger Games, and the trailer brought back certain emotions. I cried like crazy, and I don't know why! Haha. Particularly in that moment where Katniss yelled "I volunteer!". Watch it. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5ANq...

But this thread is supposed to be about THE book, so just don't mind what I'm saying... Haha. XP

Sarah (sarahabubakar) | 1 comments Hye, Im new here :D I don't know where i should post this. I've read the first hunger games book last year and enjoyed it very very much. and I need to ask you guys. Should I read all three books before the movie comes out? or just reading the first one is enough? I have a month left.lol

Heather (ninebookishlivescom) Sarah wrote: "Hye, Im new here :D I don't know where i should post this. I've read the first hunger games book last year and enjoyed it very very much. and I need to ask you guys. Should I read all three books b..."

I personally don't think you need to read all 3 books before the Hunger Games movie comes out. They are suppose to be making all three into individual movies if IMDb is correct.

As a side note... although it wasn't necessary, after I read the first one I had to know what happened next and because I bought the set I didn't have to wait. So long story short I finished all three books very quickly, but not for the movie.

Diamond (kindle lover) (quirkysecrets) | 4 comments At first I couldn't understand the first 10 pages then I slowly started getting into it I love the series

Jessica (jsnail) Would anyone be willing to lead this discussion? I would, but right now my life is super hectic and there are others of you out there that love this series more than me (even though I do love it haha).

Elena I just finished reading this book a week ago or so. I absolutely loved it. It has been a while, probably since 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' that I was so glued to a book and consistently enthralled by the plot. It was so refreshing also to know that this is a YA novel with considerable substance. The 'romance triangle' was definitely a nice touch, gave the book even more depth than it had, it added to it rather than take away from it or distract you from the real plot. I'm so excited to learn more about everyone's impressions and thoughts. Plenty to talk about with this book :).

Killian (killianperry) Just started this book yesterday (about 100 pages in now) and despite how interested I am in the world-building, I almost don't want to pick it up again. The reason I have avoided it for so long (despite being told I need to read these books) is due to the premise making me cringe. Kids killing kids... Interested in how the moral ambiguity will play out, if nothing else.

I would like to ask those who have read the whole series if this trilogy at least a semi-"happy" ending? I don't think I could handle reading all three of these books for the ending to be Katniss winning due to killing people. Seems like a hard protagonist to like. But hey... Tons of people love it, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

message 18: by Elena (last edited Feb 09, 2012 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elena Killian wrote: "Just started this book yesterday (about 100 pages in now) and despite how interested I am in the world-building, I almost don't want to pick it up again. The reason I have avoided it for so long (d..."

I haven't read all three books, yet. I have only finished 'The Hunger Games' just recently. I will probably pick up on the other two after the movie of this one comes out. I just wanted to quickly add that, although the premise does involved kids killing kids, for me Katniss came across as strong-willed, empowered, willing to survive a situation she never had control over in order to see her family again. She is even compassionate and has an attitude of individualism rather than falling in line like the rest of the tributes. I have to say that the 'moral ambiguity' was a big curiosity to me, also. I would like to know how you like the book when you finish it, the ending is definitely a breath-taker.

Heather (ninebookishlivescom) Killian wrote: "Just started this book yesterday (about 100 pages in now) and despite how interested I am in the world-building, I almost don't want to pick it up again. The reason I have avoided it for so long (d..."

The good news is... there is a happy ending - at least to me there was. I actually wished they made the last chapter longer so I had a better idea of it. But,as you can tell, you don't get the "happy" ending until the very very very end. I was very sad about the situation through the last book and kept yelling at it! Well I guess I yelled at the second book too because of what they did... but all-in-all the books are great and there is a "happy" ending :D

Riza (Pages and Coffee Cups) (pagesandcc) | 7 comments Killian wrote: "Just started this book yesterday (about 100 pages in now) and despite how interested I am in the world-building, I almost don't want to pick it up again. The reason I have avoided it for so long (d..."

I wouldn't go as far as say that this book definitely has a happy ending. It's more on the way you look at it. Well it may be a happy one for some, but some may also point out the sad things that led to that ending. Rather than a happy ending, I guess you could put it as an 'appropriate ending'. And that's one of the factors that makes this trilogy an absolute treat. I don't know if I'm spoiling it, but I can say that the ending was rather unexpected and it too be completely by surprise. And that makes it a very remarkable and memorable read. I hope you all understood how I put it. Haha. Right?

Killian (killianperry) Finished yesterday! And I will admit that the ending was... satisfying. Still deciding on how I ultimately feel about the book as a whole... I'd like to discuss a few things more in depth. Is there going to be a thread for that or are we supposed to talk about it all in this "First Impressions" thread?

Elena Jessica wrote: "Would anyone be willing to lead this discussion? I would, but right now my life is super hectic and there are others of you out there that love this series more than me (even though I do love it ha..."

Hehe, I will gladly do it with you :). Thanks for the chance :). I have posted a new thread for those of you eager to talk some more about this fantastic book. There will be more threads coming up, I will be posting one or two every couple of days, some new topics we can discuss.

Bonnie Rose (bonnierosem) | 5 comments I have to say that the first chapter was a little slow for me. But once Primrose's name is called, I couldn't put the book down. I originally read this book last year on Halloween, while handing out candy. It was difficult for me to put it down and give out candy because I just wanted to get back to my book. I got Catching Fire and Mockingjay for Christmas that year and read both books in one day. It's definitely a series that you'll want spare time in your schedule or set aside sometime to read all three books.

Jessica (jsnail) Londonmarie wrote: "I have to say that the first chapter was a little slow for me. But once Primrose's name is called, I couldn't put the book down. I originally read this book last year on Halloween, while handing ou..."

I totally agree. I got all three books at once (thanks Amazon haha) and spent about a week reading the three. I would've finished sooner, but I was prepping for a surgery - damn delaying my reading!