Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monthly Read > Unclaimed- Spoiler Free- ***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2038 comments Mod
In this thread you can leave spoilers for Novembers monthly read.

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2060 comments Mod
Ok, I have to say that I loved this book in so many ways, but one of the things I loved most about it was his reason for being a virgin was about caring for women, not seeing them as evil temptation. That was a great moment. I wasn't 100 percent convinced that his reason for giving up his virginity before marriage really worked (it didn't make their experience equal) but I loved that he was still consistent--he made sure she'd be ok by setting her up financially before he did it.
Mostly though I loved it because, as usual, her characters manage to be at the same time both totally unpredictable and totally consistent with themselves! Not a dull sentence in the book.

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I'm self-lagiarizing from the review I posted a couple of months ago.

Too frequently for my tastes a “strong heroine” in romance fiction is synonymous with a heroine who seems to be a character in costume, a 21st-century woman in 19th-century dress. In Jessica, Milan gives readers a character who possesses a survivor’s strengths and yet is a woman of her own time, a time when a double standard was entrenched and one misstep was enough to make a woman an outcast. Jessica hates that she can be owned by a man, but she accepts responsibility for her choices. Thus she proves herself an adult woman in a world that would make her no more than a horse or a falcon to be purchased, trained, and possessed. She becomes, as Mark declares her, “her own knight.”

message 4: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Umm. That should read "self-plagiarizing." (red-faced)

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 985 comments Janga, my initial impression is consistent with what I know about abused women in general -- they grow to hate men, especially the abuser, but not limited to him. Therefore, her flinch when the rector grabs her arm near the shoulder is understandable.

message 6: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I finished the book this weekend and like many of you mentioned, I liked the fact that both the heroine and hero were strong character. Not only that, but they were interesting characters. The both had fully developed backgrounds and always stayed true to themselves.