SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

November Discussions > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen this book around a lot, but I hadn't picked it up in the past nor have I started it yet .... so who wants to start?

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) I listened to it earlier this year, and am just about finished with the next book.

There's certainly some name pronunciations I would not have gotten right.

This book got my Hugo vote this year. I was quite impressed by the way Jemisin handled interaction between divine, semi-divine, and mortal characters.

I'm particularly curious to see what other people think of the relationships between the gods and godlings.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I finished the book this morning. I thought it was great. It it very different from the usual fantasy. As Eric said, the interaction of the gods, godlings and mortals was really interesting, unlike anything I've read before.

In regards to your question Eric, about gods and godlings, I thought Jemisin did a great job of showing how complicated that relationship was. At times it's was a parent/child relationship, but then other times they were equals. Sieh was a fascinating character, I moved between feeling pity for him and being very creeped-out by him.

A general pet peeve of mine with fantasy books is unpronounceable names. I had to stop and decide how I was going to pronounce Sieh, Yeine... because I annoy myself with stumbling over the names as I read. So how do you pronounce them?

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Donna wrote: "Sieh, Yeine... because I annoy myself with stumbling over the names as I read. So how do you pronounce them?"

Those two in particular would have given me fits. Sieh = SEE-yuh, and Yeine = "YAY-nuh."

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Wow, I was off on both of them.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) *sigh* I've got this book loaded on my Kindle now, but I probably won't get to start reading it until Saturday, if I'm lucky. Maybe I'll finish it before November is over. >_<

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I got through about 1000 locations before calling it quits. Not sure what, exactly, made me put it down, other than my mind kept thinking about other books I wanted to read more.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 22% into the book now. I'm pretty much liking it even though I havent' had the time to read this weekend as I would like.

I love the Sky palace thing and I think this is a good time to read this as I'm in the mood for some palace intrigue and clashing nobles.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (einahpets_reads) I just finished it. I definitely would echo other people's comments about the way Gods are treated in the book -- it was very unique. I really enjoyed the creation story.

Also -- and this may only be because I have way too many books on my to read list -- I appreciate how although the book is the first in a series, it felt like a wonderful story fully in itself. Too many series I've read lately always end with a cliffhanger that means I have to immediately start the next in the series. That said, the next in this series is definitely making it into my to read list....

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie - I was thinking the same thing. I'm happy how it ended and that I don't have to get the next book immediately (but then I'm still curious enough that I want to read more about this world)

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Note that book 2 happens ten years later, and of all the primary characters in this book, only Sieh has a direct role of any real size. And even that role is pretty small in the scope of the book. (Others certainly appear, if only briefly.)

You learn a LOT about the Godlings, though. As good as I felt The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was, book 2 might be even better.

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I finished THTK this morning. While I thought it was well written and had some interesting concepts and such, it never totally grabbed me. I think part of the reason may be that so much of it was centered upon the motivations and actions of the gods, which makes deus ex machina issues inevitable; along with my predilection for stories about people who, though dealing with extraordinary events, are still more or less fairly ordinary people with whom I can empathize. (That is by no means a hard and fast rule, though, as evidenced by my love of Zelazny's "Amber" books.) As of now I feel no urge to read the sequel, though I may eventually sample it, as I did think the writing, so I might find it more enjoyable if it's more about the people and less about the gods.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I just finished the second book in the trilogy, The Broken Kingdoms, and like Eric, thought it was even better than the first book. If you enjoyed The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, I can certainly recommend the second book.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Eric's comment made me buy the second book. Yours just made me put it on this month's short list.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) Excellent. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I just wanted to add that I finished the third book The Kingdom of Gods, and loved it. The focus is on Sieh, who I never really liked in the earlier books, but Jemisin makes him a sympathetic and compelling character. I thought it was a great finish to the series and I consider the series as a whole to be one of my top 10 reads of the year.