The Bookends discussion

Previous Group Reads > A Dirty Job Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
This thread is now open for discussion!

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (atomskhowl) I really enjoyed this book. From beginning to the very end I was laughing out loud. The story itself was very interesting. I enjoyed all the characters especially the developing relationship between Charlie Asher and Minty Green. This book is non stop interesting and an easy read.

message 3: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Lindsay (ltg584) | 478 comments Mod
I really liked this book too. I loved the writing style, and no matter how ridiculous it all became (since really that was the only way it could have gone), I went right along for the ride.
For anyone else who really enjoyed the style and the characters, many of them are carried over into other books of Christopher Moore. I, for one, am definitely going to read them in the near future.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith I enjoyed this book too! I have to say, it's not one to put down though as you have a hard time 'going with the flow' once you try to get back into it. The fantastical premise works best if you don't interrupt the reading!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed his word play and how he threw in all those modern day cultural references. I think I found a few new catch phrases too!!! I would love to know it he's like that on a regular day to day basis!! He's wickedly funny!

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (atomskhowl) A high point of hilarity: "Not in the butt"

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (hermia) I really enjoyed this book and all the characters that Christopher Moore brought to life. Wow! What a cast of diverse and interesting individuals! Moore is definitely an author who makes me want to read his books. I have to go back because apparently Minty is in one of his previous books. Next time I go to a big city I'll have to look down in the drains and keep my eyes out for any sinister shadows lurking! Loved it!

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith Minty is in one of his other books?! Which one??? He was an awesome character!

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (hermia) Sue, I looked it up and Minty Fresh was in Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore Coyote Blue. I have this one on my to read list.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith I will add it to mine!!

message 10: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Christopher Moore seems to be a fan of his quirky characters. The other repeated characters are The emperor and the detectives.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith You know, if you can't be a fan of your own work then who can you be a fan of?! You got quirky right - some of these ones were right off the deep end! Like his frankenstein creations...squirrel hybrids, etc. I'd love to know how he dreamed up those ones! Not sure if they really had a place in the story, but with all the other stuff going on you just shrugged your shoulders and carried on.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (atomskhowl) I loved the squirrel people. Especially Bob without his P's. "No li_s."

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith But what ever inspired them?! What an imagination! Or what great hallucinatory drugs! I don't think I ever would have come up with that in a thousand years. And then to name him Bob. Kind of genius on the edge of mental. (but I guess that is a fine line!)

message 14: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I assume most of us have read Douglas Adams, who I know was an inspiration for Christopher Moore. I thought of this comparison as I started getting into A Dirty Job, so I certainly wasn't surprised to hear that it was his intention.
If you haven't read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, then drop whatever you're currently reading and go get it from the library.