LBSC 645 discussion

Coretta Scott King Award

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments Mod
Do you know what you will read? I plan to read The Rock and The River by Kekla Magoon.

message 2: by Edie (new)

Edie | 11 comments and if you like it I have her latest book Camo girl, I would love your opinion.
Edie

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments Mod
I did just read My People by Langston Hughes and Charles Smith, which was wonderful!

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 4 comments I started reading One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia. It is also a National Book Award finalist and I really like it so far. It is hard to read about the way the mother of the young protagonist treats her and her sisters. It breaks my heart.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments I just picked up Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes. I was drawn to this book mainly because of my fascination with the culture of New Orleans. Can't wait to start reading...right after I finish Mockingjay....so close!

message 6: by Edie (new)

Edie | 11 comments Katie wrote: "I started reading One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia. It is also a National Book Award finalist and I really like it so far. It is hard to read about the way the mother of the young protagon..."

I love the voice of the main character, she stays with you long after you've finished the book.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess (jesslady) | 4 comments I'm currently reading Elijah Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments Hi everyone! I missed the class on Coretta Scott King, and we ran out of time to talk about our books this last Tuesday, so I thought this might be a good way to let at least some of the class know about the book I read (which I highly recommend). See notes on it below:

Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker Rhodes
A social and historical treatment of the Ninth Ward neighborhood of New Orleans, LA during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. It portrays the experiences and ultimate survival of a 12 year old African American female leading up to and during the storm.

• The timeline of hurricane really drives the plot structure, with the hurricane and flooding acting as the climax. This is somewhat unique because most readers will have some preconceived notion about the storm because it is so recent, but Jewell Parker Rhodes does a great job of relaying how the hurricane would be experienced through a twelve-year-old’s eyes.
- Motivates readers to develop their own attitudes and behaviors as well as comprehend their personal duty and responsibility as citizens in pluralistic society. It is an inspirational work that depicts how belief in oneself and a positive attitude can help a person achieve the unthinkable in a perceptibly impossible situation

message 9: by Edie (new)

Edie | 11 comments thanks so much for sharing this Courtney, it is a book we should all know abou.