GoodGames discussion

Games: Reviews/Suggestions > World of Warcraft...Hardcore, or social?...Horde or Alliance?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 105 comments Mod
I played a free trial but I don't exactly have the level of affluece nor a decent enough computer to play full-time so to speak. I quite enjoyed it however.

message 2: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Moi! I've played for a couple of years now. I'm a Jack (or should that be Jill?) of all trades kind of player, ie do a bit of raiding, battlegrounds, arenas and pve content.

Horde or Alliance?

Horde FTW! :-)

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) The genre appeals to me, but I just couldn't commit to a guild. Plus, there's the whole, buy the game, then pay a monthly fee. Really? I get that it funds the servers to be up and running 24-7, but it still adds to my aversion.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm way too OCD, and it all goes in cycles. My husband would be a WW widower, then I'd move on to something else quite abruptly when the mood struck me, reading/crafting/tv/gaming...it all goes round and round again, but whatever I am into gets pretty much all of my attention. :)

message 5: by Weenie (last edited Nov 02, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Weenie I'm with Dutch - I resisted WoW for a couple of years even though I knew it would appeal to me, it was the monthly fee that put me off. However, I now really can't think of a cheaper hobby if you work it out on a £/time spent.

As for committing to a guild, the guild I'm in was created by the bf. The social side got so good that last month, we had our first guild meet, which took place near Nottingham, UK.

One member travelled from Norway to attend, another came over all the way from the Philippines!

message 6: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) That's brilliant, Ween! If I was still in Northampton, you would have just had the swing vote. But, unless the husband decided to start playing...

Though, with my often lax work schedule (like today I have next to nothing to do and my bosses don't care what I do as long as my work is done), I might be able to play during the day.

You lot are really tempting.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Hahn | 2 comments Dutch wrote: "Amelia wrote: "The genre appeals to me, but I just couldn't commit to a guild. Plus, there's the whole, buy the game, then pay a monthly fee. Really? I get that it funds the servers to be up and..."

Kinda funny, Dutch. I never really thought of it that way. $0.50/day makes it sound even more reasonable.
I haven't been playing for the last 4 months now (just not in the budget even @ $0.50/day), but a friend of mine was kind enough to send me a scroll, so I'm waiting on that. Then hopefully next month I'll be playing again.
I miss it more than I care to admit ;P

message 8: by Weenie (new)

Weenie On a good day, pvping can be a good de-stresser and I can pew pew to my heart's content.

However, like raiding, it too can get a little stressful - wipes in the case of raiding, losing badly in the case of rated bgs!

message 9: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Dutch wrote "once I obtain a new piece of gear, I'll hang out in front of Stormwind to test my chops."

Lol - show off! ;-)

I'm in a social guild that raids (and does RBGs) and since we're not flush with raid-ready 85s, I'm fortunate enough to be always included in raids. If I'm not logged on, I'll get a text asking if I'll sign up, kinda annoying at times but I don't want to let the guild down, do I, if they want my awesome Hunter dps? ;-)

message 10: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) First of all, you two are speaking a foreign language. Second of all, I just got back from a trip to a local store looking (Fred Meyer) looking to see if they happen to have a copy of the Baldur's Gate PC game (because it is close to my work and I'm lazy). I just have to say that as I was perusing the PC games, there are about 50 different WOW games, how would one even begin to choose?

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Hahn | 2 comments Amelia wrote: "First of all, you two are speaking a foreign language. Second of all, I just got back from a trip to a local store looking (Fred Meyer) looking to see if they happen to have a copy of the Baldur's..."

Depends on what level you want to get to ;P To get into 80+ content you'd have to have Cataclysm. If you just want to try it out you can play for free with an online dwnld up to lvl 20 (though you can't whisper anyone, talk in trade chat, etc., which is great for trolls (or not, depending on how you look at it :P ), lame for people who really just want to try out the game).

message 12: by Weenie (last edited Nov 09, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Weenie Amelia wrote: "there are about 50 different WOW games, how would one even begin to choose?"

Yes, as Amber says, you can play up to level 20 for free but with some gaming restrictions.

The games are in this order:
World of Warcraft - Starter Edition
World of Warcraft - Full Edition/version
The Burning Crusade
Wrath of the Lich King
Cataclysm
Mists of Pandaria (to be released)

You need to level your character to get through to the next game etc.

message 13: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Dutch wrote: "My guild this time (I'm playing on a new server) is a social guild. I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. Now I know if I log in, people are happy to see me, and even though I'm not geared for raids, they still want me to go (even if they carry me through it). "

Yeah, I don't think I could be in a hardcore guild for raids or rbgs. We started a raid on Monday and it's continuing...next Monday! If we were hardcore, it would be practically every night.

That's just too much!

I like the fact that in social guilds, you can just do your own thing and yep, have fun! :-)

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) At my old firm I worked with a lady who came home one day to find her husband had quit his job so he could stay home and play WOW full time...

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) My BIL's brother plays Everquest. For a while that was all he did. He would play all day and all night levelling up characters and selling them.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Amelia wrote: "At my old firm I worked with a lady who came home one day to find her husband had quit his job so he could stay home and play WOW full time..."

^ This. This (plus the monthly fee) is why I don't play. Like Amelia I go in cycles - everything is up in the air with the exception of reading a lot.

message 17: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Well, like Amelia's aforementioned Everquest characters being sold, I've seen WoW characters sold on Ebay for £50-£80 but these kinds of auctions get removed quickly if spotted.

Also, some people can make money playing WoW, selling in-game gold for real life cash.

It's against game rules and Blizzard will cancel the accounts of such players but every time one is shut down, 10 more probably spring up.

Why would people 'buy' in-game gold? To get your character better in the game, you often need gold to buy new gear, which you can earn by doing quests, completing dungeons, making and selling stuff in the in game auction house, etc.

This all takes time and some players don't have the time or even if they do, they might be too lazy and would rather pay someone to get the gold.

When I took on WoW, one of my other 'hobbies' had to go, so these days, I probably only watch an hour or so of television per week. Most days, the set stays off.

message 18: by Weenie (new)

Weenie What you're talking about Dutch is just something between friends and like you say, how would Blizzard find out?

The gold sellers I'm talking about openly spam the in-game chat, post website links and prices, eg 1000g for 6 euros etc.

And speaking of hacking, yes, some gold sellers are hackers too. I've had my account hacked before, all the gold gone, guild bank cleared out too (I'm a guild officer), all my character's gear sold.

All my stuff was retrieved/replaced after a couple of days but whether Blizzard caught the hacker or even bothered, I don't know.

These days, I use an authenticator to protect my account.

message 19: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I'd say no, that's not a violation of their policies, unless their policies stretch to what friends do outside of WoW!

I was hacked before I got my authenticator, my virus checker belatedly found a keylogger on my laptop, which is how the hacker got my password.

And I agree with the bank name thing, it's insane but lots of people do it!

I have a bank toon which has a non-bank related name and is a level 5 (from doing seasonal dailies). I get requests to join guilds all the time but that's the point, he's just seen as a normal toon, not one that's stashing all the gold!

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) toon?

I know a guy who's a regular farmer on Diablo but I don't think he uses WoW. He says he does it with 10 different computers running 10 different accounts that are farming for gold with a bot 24/7. He makes a lot of real world money by selling gold, items and gear.

message 21: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) That sounds...wrong.

Isn't levelling up your character part of the fun?

message 22: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Toon is short for 'cartoon' and according to Wikipedia:

"referring to the cartoon image of a player's digital avatar in MMORPGs"

The kind of bots you are referring to occur in WoW too MrsJ and are against the game rules.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Amelia wrote: "That sounds...wrong.

Isn't levelling up your character part of the fun?"

He has separate characters that he plays - and also helps him find rare objects to sell, too. Then once he's leveled up his character as much as possible he sells the character and starts all over again. He's sold his most recent character for over $1k USD.

message 24: by Weenie (new)

Weenie It is part of the fun and it's something I enjoy but some players hate it and just want to jump in with an all-singing-all-dancing character with the best gear etc.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) Weenie wrote: "Toon is short for 'cartoon' and according to Wikipedia:

"referring to the cartoon image of a player's digital avatar in MMORPGs"

The kind of bots you are referring to occur in WoW too MrsJ a..."

Thanks!

My friend told me they are against the rules in Diablo. He says he's part of a group that gets wiped by the servers every 6 months or so. He says that the accounts that are botting get frozen or something and he has to go out and buy 10 new games and start 10 new accounts. He said that it's the best time because almost everyone has been wiped out at the same time and there are tons of new people to sell stuff to. Plus he does something to make diablo walk. Not sure what that is because I don't play online I mostly single player.

message 26: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Sooo, how are people finding the latest patch?

message 27: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I've been in a couple of the raids, using LFR (Looking For Raid) - whilst we downed a few bosses, I just kept thinking that I'd enjoy it much more with a guild only group! The new Darkmoon Faire is pretty interesting, checked out the arena thing yet since you like your pvp?

message 28: by Weenie (new)

Weenie The new Faire has got something similar to the Gurubashi Arena, a Deathmatch for prizes etc. Every 3 hours I think, it's just a pvp fest.

message 29: by Weenie (new)

Weenie Anyone rolled a 'panda'?