Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Ash
This topic is about Ash
Ash Discussions > Cinderella Retold

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
What do you think of this retelling of Cinderella? Does it make you want to read more books that are retellings of fairy tales?

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) It's been a while since I read this book but I remember being a bit bored by it. There were too many similarities to the original fairy tale. I kept waiting for something unexpected to happen... I know there is Sidhean and Kaisa but still.
I really do like fairy tale retellings but I either have to be unfamiliar with the fairy tale or it has to be very twisted from the original version. I enjoyed Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce a lot more for example, probably because it only picked up themes from its original story.

Theo | 116 comments I liked that this retelling was very atmospheric. The text was written in a way that really communicated the feel of the world where Ash takes place. I also appreciated the exploration of love not bound by any of the conventions of a typical fairytale. I would say that Ash seems a very typical fairytale princess in that she is more a product of the other people and forces in the story, rather than a strong, independent character.

I have read some other retellings, and I'm intrigued by the genre in general. For me a good fairytale retelling pays homage to the original while using the familiar storyline to explore contemporary dynamics.

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I am about half way through and really loved the part about the ball... or I should say the bonfire for the servants. It reminded me a little of Titanic the movie when the lower class people have their party at the bottom of the boat. I don't know why fairy tales always revolve around the balls, so I thought this was a fun spin on the traditional dances.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Well, I guess Ash does end up at the ball after all! hahahah! I like the take on the fairy godmother! I do think the retelling was good.. but some of the added plot points kinda fell flat. Like the whole fairy land topic... did the huntress see fairies or not?? Secretly I was kinda wishing she would leave a slipper behind! :) I thought Lo really did a good job describing the world and made it feel magical. I had never heard of until this book a huntress for the king. I really thought that was neat and wonder if there is any truth in huntresses? Did kings actually use them?

Here is the original story that is actually called Aschenputtel:

http://stenzel.ucdavis.edu/180/anthol...

message 6: by Tatiana (last edited Nov 13, 2011 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I really love fairytale retelling, both those that just expand the originals (like, let's say Daughter of the Forest) and those that completely rework them (Tender Morsels).

There are some great retellings, but Ash wasn't one of them. I was intrigued by its LGBT premise, but it never materialized into a truly good, subversive story. Many of the familiar elements were present in this version and they were pieced together into something moderately new, even though not anything very cohesive or exciting.

Do you know any other Cinderella retellings? I think Princess of Glass is one, but I haven't read it.

Theo | 116 comments Bound by Donna Jo Napoli is the only other Cinderella retelling I've ever read. It's set in China during the Ming Dynasty.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I had never heard of until this book a huntress for the king. I really thought that was neat and wonder if there is any truth in huntresses? Did kings actually use them? ..."

That's a good question. From what I understand, men were the hunters but they were devoted to the goddess Athena (or Diana).

I loved the role of the huntress in this book. I also loved Kaisa's concern for her prey. She says the King is happy with enough but Aidan always wants more leading me to see Aidan as a selfish and cruel person.

Julia | 432 comments I read a lot of fairy tale retellings. I recommend the collections of short stories edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling
like: Silver Birch, Bloody Moon, Snow White, Blood Red, Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears to name a few...
And everything by Donna Jo Napoli. Oh! And Deerskin, which isn't for everyone, but those it's for...

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Grace wrote: "Angie wrote: "I had never heard of until this book a huntress for the king. I really thought that was neat and wonder if there is any truth in huntresses? Did kings actually use them? ..."

That's ..."

After reading the part about Aidan wanting more and seeming not to know when to quit I thought this was leading the story in another direction. Like we would find more about the prince later which we never did. I noticed a few areas in the book that seemed like they were going to take off but the plot lines just stopped.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Right now I am reading another version of Cinderella - Cinder. About a cyborg Cinderella!

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 2 stars

That sounds neat!