Fans of Maps discussion

Group Challenges & Group Reads > What challenges and group reads would you like to participate in?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 644 comments Mod
I've decreed a book of the month and a challenge - but this group is really for you. What would you like to read together, or how would you like to be challenged? (Map related preferred, travel related fine, too.)

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 152 comments I'm of mixed minds. I already have so many books I want to read that I'll never get to them all. But I like the way some groups have a poll to select a group read each month. I don't read every group selection, but I like the discussions exchanging impressions and opinions on the books I do read. Some groups first have a poll to select the genre; I think that becomes a little cumbersome.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

What I've done in other groups, for Group Reads, is nominate books that I'm going to read anyway, and then campaign for them, saying "If you vote for this, I promise to be active in the discussion for it."

One group I'm in had real good with a nifty Challenge this month aimed at helping us work on our to-read shelves. Everyone interested puts their names in, and then the moderator draws them out in random pairs, and we pick a book for our partner, from that partner's to-read (or TBR-owned, or whichever shelf each designates).

If that's not clear: Betsy, Cheryl, Ralph, Paul, and Yvensong say they want in. I put the names on cards and shuffle. I draw two at a time and come up with something like -
Betsy picks for Paul
Ralph picks for Betsy
Paul picks for Yvensong
Cheryl picks for Ralph
Yvensong picks for Cheryl

(Of course if we did this I'd want us to try to find a map-related book on our partner's to-read shelf.)

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 152 comments Interesting. I'm a little reluctant, because I'm very resistent to other people choosing anything for me, but since it's totally voluntary and uses my own TBR list, it might work.

I still think I'd prefer an ordinary group monthly or bi-monthly read. I'm just not that adventurous.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

I think we will go ahead and try a group read before another challenge. Ok, here's a thought, maybe the nominations should come from the group bookshelves? That way we at least know they're on-topic....

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 152 comments Sounds good to me.