Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominations for February Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments In February, we will be reading a book set in Europe for our world book, and a book set in New England for our U.S. state book. Please post your nominations on this thread. Remember, books can be of any genre but must be at least 100 pages long and set predominantly in a specified country or state. It is not a requirement that the author of the book be a native or resident of the country chosen.

There are several countries that are considered to be both part of Asia and Europe. For the purposes of the challenge, we will use only those countries listed under the topic "Books Set in Europe".

New England states include the following: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 437 comments Rhode Island - Rogue Island

Czech Republic - Daughter of Smoke and Bone - this is a YA fantasy that is set in Prague - it has gotten good reviews from ppl I know who have read it

message 3: by Sam (new)

message 4: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Nov 04, 2011 03:04PM) (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments I just added some books to the Rhode Island topic of the "Books from the 50 States" folder. I will be adding to the other New England states over the next couple of weeks. Here are some Listopia lists to get you started:

http://www.goodreads.com/search?searc...

message 6: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (rosannabell) | 33 comments Maine: The Ghost Trap by K. Stephens

message 8: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments I have added a few to Maine, but I still have a lot more to put in as a lot of books are set there.

ME: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 9: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments One week left to get in your nominations!

message 10: by Lahni (last edited Nov 22, 2011 10:09PM) (new)

message 11: by Connie (last edited Nov 23, 2011 05:20AM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 863 comments Lahni, I've got Midwives on my TBR list too.

I read The Tiger's Wife, and enjoyed it. There's a lot of magical realism in it which made it fun to discuss in a group at the library.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 437 comments i've not read midwives - but there is a movie of it starring sissy spacek - I think it was a made-for-tv one...I just read his new one for New Hampshire...he is one fucked up writer (in a good way)

message 13: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Just one more day for nominations for our New England book for February.