Crossed (Matched, #2) Crossed discussion

What did ya think?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 02, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Crossed just came out today. I saw it on my calendar, raced over to my kindle and started reading ... I'm halfway done and loving it. What do others think?? (SPOILERS welcome because by the next time I look her i will be done the book.) Did you like they way the perspectives are done? Ky or Xander? Tell me what you think!!!

EDIT! What did you think of Indie?

Alysha Szymczak I just finished the book and I loved it. I thought it was more fast paced than Matched and more action. I liked the way she changed the prespectives between Ky and Cassia so we could learn more information about what's happening with Society and what they're thinking and feeling. I am also for Ky instead of Xander. Mostly because Xander feels more plain, not so much of an adventure like Ky. I thought Indie was a great character because I feel like Cassia really needed her to help her reach Ky.

Now.. tell me what you thought. Lol.

Lindsey I also really enjoyed this! I wish it wasn't so short but it definitely has me wanting the next book! I'm for Ky as well, not that Xander doesn't seem like a nice guy, but I've invested so much into Ky, I know more of his character and feelings than I do of Xander. I liked Indie too, it was nice to have new characters, more realistic that way, I'm not sure how I feel about the Rising though, not sure if it should be trusted, what do you guys think?

SPOILERES possibly

I was kinda thinking Ky is supposedly "The Piolet" through the whole book, mainly because he isn't trying to be a hero, all he cares about is always trying to keep everyone safe and whether he realizes it or not , thats what heroes do, idk Indie seemed to say what I had been thinking but we still didn't really find out too much through this book which aggravated some people but to me this book was needed in order to set up for the next one,, what did you think?

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ I love Crossed! i liked both Cassia's and Ky's point of views. I don't think i like Indie but so long as she doesn't do anything that'll harm Ky or Cassia on the third book.. she's okay. I like Ky expressed a lot of himself in this book. Xander's MIA (which is good for me since i'm team Ky!) a lot of course but i bet that we'll see more of him on the next book. Cassia seems stronger here in Crossed and Ky as well. As described in the book itself, Ky belongs on the outer regions..

I just know that the last book would be epic ^_^

Deidre I was really disappointed with this book, honestly, and not because it's badly written. Really, the author is great at writing, and her word choice is very near the poetry that she ends up using all throughout the narrative.

But the characters are so freaking flat, and they spend the entire book meandering around a canyon. Doing what? Ruminating over their mistakes, and how pretty and epic everything is. The plot felt like it didn't go anywhere, at least until the end, and even then, it was just left hanging.

Plus the narrative switching between the two characters wasn't that great. They didn't have distinct voices, and I actually had to double-check who was talking at the beginning of some chapters, because they weren't distinctive enough to be able to tell who was talking. I really wished she'd stuck to a single narrative, because it might have kept Ky's character more intriguing.

Jessa Deidre wrote: "I was really disappointed with this book, honestly, and not because it's badly written. Really, the author is great at writing, and her word choice is very near the poetry that she ends up using al..."

I couldn't agree more. I just wrote a review and these actually were some of my main complaints as well. The book was REALLY boring a large amount of the time. It was as though every single thing that they came across warranted deep reflection and we had to sit and read about how a rock, or water, or a fish, or whatever other item you may find in a canyon, reminds them of this one time, when...! Her writing is so beautiful, but this made me want to just delete the book at times because I didn't think I could make it through lol.

I also did the double-checking with the chapter title pages to see who was narrating. I actually like when there are alternating narratives like this, but it wasn't well executed, at all.

I really hope book 3 redeems this one!!

Meagan Masters I wasn't a fan of the dual-narration either. You two said it right - neither Cassia or Ky had a strong enough presence to identify whose perspective we were seeing. Granted, it was noted at the beginning of the chapter, but I don't always look at chapter titles on the first read.

I don't know that I would choose a "team" just yet in regards to Ky and Xander. Love triangles are so overdone, yet they are always good for a conflict. After reading Matched last year, I was crazy about Ky and genuinely heartbroken when he got shipped off. However, on my second read last week, I saw more in Xander than I noticed before. I was rather impressed with some of the things we learn about him in Crossed, so I'm very excited to see how things go in the final installment.

I liked Indie a lot. She was a shady character, and I still don't completely trust her. However, she feels the most *real* of all of them. Eli taking off with Hunter was just too convenient, and after all the hype about Eli reminding them of Bram, no one really seemed to sad to see him go.

I hate drawing comparisons with books that are too often compared, but I'm a bit worried that the Rising and the Society are going to be very similar in their overall structures (much like the Capitol was to the Resistance in The Hunger Games). Either that, or maybe the Society itself created the Rising because people can't be satisfied living perfect lives (ala The Matrix). I thought it was odd that no one ever openly identified who the Enemy was ... I assumed from the Society's standpoint, the Enemy is the Rising, but when so many farmers and innocents were killed, then the Enemy could refer to the Society. That was just a gray area that I thought could've been clarified.

How about the vials in the cave? Any predictions there? I liked it and am anxious for the finale :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, I really did like the book, maybe because I liked the set up, but it was so frustrating. The middle did seem to go extra slow, we had to look at every single rock and tree and bird and whatever else they saw. I also was very annoyed about how Indie and Cassia missed Ky by like one day. But, I guess it made sense so they could see all the bodies and stuff. Another thing I didn't like was how KY and Cassia's reunion was not satisfying, they weren't as excited to see each other as they should have been, especially after all each had been through to find each other. When Indie started talking to Ky, I was worried that she was going after him, but you find out she likes Xander! Totally unexpected, and made me love and hate her at the same time. As for the Rising, I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing. I don't entirely get how come Ky hates it so much, and was upset about how quickly Cassia left Ky to join. I just want to read the next book to figure out how this all ends up!!! :)

message 9: by Worood (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Worood first of all I want to say that I agree with what you all said above :D

I liked this book it's well-written and the author selects her words awesomely. The way she writes makes you feel what the characters are feeling.

BUT, and that's a big one! I was expecting like lot of you more development of the plot. Mainly all the book was about revealing emotions and thoughts. And we got to know more about Ky but I was waiting for more.

And there few things that weren't given much of an importance although I think they should have like; when Cassia took the red tablet to see if she is immune. Obviously she is but she never mentioned anything about it. And Xander's secret I wish it was revealed.

Another thing,is the dual-narration. I liked the idea but i ,too, was expecting a difference between the two characters point of view.

And to be honest I'm not a fan of Romance but fortunately I was able to stand it.

Of course throughout this bok I grew closer to Ky and I liked him even more because of his story and what he's been through. However, I'm still Xander Team :) And if it were to me I'd choose him LOL.

By the way I loved Eli and Vick! And I was so sad when Vick died. But I didn't like Indie much, she isn't bad but I'm neutral about her and her attitude. And about the Pilot I was expecting and hoping that Xander is him ;) Don;t know why!

Regardless of everything, this book is one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to the third one. And I have the feeling that this book had to be like that because it was the way to transform us from the Society life to the Rising life. And I'm hoping that the Love triangle will be solved without any hearts breaking especially mine!

Jessa Roro wrote: "first of all I want to say that I agree with what you all said above :D

I liked this book it's well-written and the author selects her words awesomely. The way she writes makes you feel what the c..."

RE: the red tablet. I don't believe Cassia actually took the tablet. I thought she was going to, to see if she was immune, but then heard her grandfather's voice telling her she is stronger than that and didn't actually take it. I could be wrong, as I was reading half asleep at like 5am, but I think that was what happened.

Meagan Masters Roro wrote: And Xander's secret I wish it was revealed."

I felt like Xander's secret was definitely hinted at. He IS involved in the Rising. I think if Cassia knew that, she would definitely think differently of him. As it stands, he was always the "safe" choice, but he was too tied to the Society life she wanted to break away from. She definitely trusts him, but she obviously doesn't know him as well as she thinks she does.

Jessa Snshyne79 wrote: "Roro wrote: And Xander's secret I wish it was revealed."

I felt like Xander's secret was definitely hinted at. He IS involved in the Rising. I think if Cassia knew that, she would definitely think..."

Yeah, when I finished, I walked away feeling like Xander's secret was revealed and it was that he was going to be a part of the Rising - working from Society like she will. I have a feeling she will be spending a lot of time with him next book.

message 13: by Amanda (last edited Jan 04, 2012 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Book-Worm Sam wrote: "Crossed just came out today. I saw it on my calendar, raced over to my kindle and started reading ... I'm halfway done and loving it. What do others think?? (SPOILERS welcome because by the next ti..."

XANDERXANDERXANDER!!!
I'm sorry Ky fans but I've never liked Ky... and Xander, well he's just so... there. Ky is hot and cold. Xander is pretty stable. He knows what he wants and will wait for it. However long it takes. Or so I hope.
Indie pisses me off. I mean, REALLY pisses me off.
She was ok at first but then she tried to use Ky and fell in love with Xander... well that did not go well with me. She seems like an opportunist to me. Butlike many others have said, she is the most "real" character. Still don't like her though.
I found the book really slow but will read the next for sure. I mean, there'll be more Xander in it!