Art Lovers discussion

Italian Painting Terms Quiz

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Quiz on Italian Painting Terms

1. Q: What is the term for the style of painting where, instead of building colours up with layers, the painting is done in one session while the paint is still wet? It comes from the Italian word which literally means at once.

uno prima
alla uno
alla prima
uno pronto

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is the term used to describe the skillful balance of light and dark in a painting, such as in the paintings of Rembrant? It's an Italian word literally meaning light/dark?

chiasma
chiaroscuro
chiastolite
chiasmus

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is a painting called which is created using pigments mixed with water which is then painted onto a wall when the plaster is still wet?

diptych
tresco
fresobaldi
fresco

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is the technique called where a top layer of color is scratched away to reveal a color beneath?

sgraffito
graffiti
gravure
prima

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is the technique called where painting is applied in a thick, textured way, with the marks made by the brush or palette knife remaining visible, such as in the work of Vincent van Gogh?

impresa
impresario
impasto
pasto

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is the Italian term, literally meaning shaded off, for colors that have been blended softly into each other, rather than having sharp outlines?

sfumato
sforzato
sforzando
sfumigata

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is term derived from the Italian for a sculpture that sticks out slightly from the surface it is carved from, but is not completely detached from it?

detail-relief
dove-relief
basque-relief
bas-relief

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Nov 01, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Q: What is term used to describe a figure in a painting in which the body and legs are twisted so that they're in different planes?

contrappositional
contrapposto
contrapuntal
contrarious

(view spoiler)

Good Luck!

message 9: by Aloha (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:24PM) (new)

Aloha | 162 comments (view spoiler)

How did I know all these terms? Michelangelo is my first art love. I was especially drawn to the rhythm of his sculptures, then I found out that the pose was a common compositional device, and there was even a term used to describe it.

Heather wrote: "Quiz on Italian Painting Terms

1. Q: What is the term for the style of painting where, instead of building colours up with layers, the painting is done in one session while the paint is still w..."

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Aloha wrote: "1. alla prima
2. chiaroscuro
3. fresco
4. sgraffito
5. impasto
6. sfumato
7. bas-relief
8. contrapposto

How did I know all these terms? Michelangelo is my first art love. I was especiall..."

Great job, Aloha!

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments I am a little embarrassed to say that I missed the very first question, and I speak a bit of Italian! But maybe this is why I missed it...

'alla prima' to me is 'at the first', so I didn't think it made much sense whereas I thought 'alla uno' literally 'means at the one'.

message 12: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 162 comments Thanks, Heather. I didn't fill my head with all the Italian words, only the art terms, so it's easy to remember. LOL

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 162 comments Heather, I forgot to put the spoiler tag to my answers. I went back and edited it, but my answers are still in your response. Sorry if I ruined the quiz for anybody.

message 14: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 157 comments This is nice Heather I only now the answer for "message 4" but I managed to get 8, 5 and 2 correct.