GoodGames discussion

Games: Reviews/Suggestions > Final Fantasy...are they the most complex games ever?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 105 comments Mod
Discuss all Final Fantasy games here.

message 2: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I played and completed Final Fantasy VII. Wow, some bits were really emotional, even though the graphics were nothing like the latter games. Loved the music and the characters. Couldn't really bring myself to play any of the others, although I did enjoy some of the Tactics games.

message 3: by Mark (new)

7, 9 and 10 are really good but I have to say that even four and five were alright despite the graphics. I wasn't too sire about twelve or thirteen. They changed a lot for twelve but kept the feel so it was okay but I do believe that 13 was a bit of an overly gritty/dark feeling game for the franchise.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Dang it, I went to pick up my long ago paused game of FFXII last night, and I can't find the book! I can't remember why I'm in the jungle area, probably hunting, but I have no idea where or what without the book! *sigh*

message 5: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) My first go at FF was FF7 when I was in like 8th grade, and I was hooked, in love, obsessed. Even now seeing those characters makes me a lil happy. Beat it after playing for about a year on and off. Got 8, which I got about 3/4 through, but never finished (wasn't a big fan of the magic-drawing system, made it so I rarely used magic at all), and 9, which I did finish. I liked 9 because it had a more, idk whimsical fantasy kinda vibe to it. Didn't play 10 until only recently, played it for the last few months of when I was pregnant in end of '09, but after the baby came, never really had too much time to get back into it. Used to play 11 a lot though a few years back. Loved that, but mostly only b/c I had friends who played too, so it'd make it more fun. But then couldn't pay the monthly charge anymore, so had to quit :( Have yet to try any of the earlier ones, or 12 or 13, but the one I really want to try is 14. I played Crisis Core, it was alright, never did too well at Tactics. Have Dirge of Cerberus and X-2 that I haven't even tried yet, was waiting to play X-2 until I finished 10. But I'd have to say FF games are my favorite games of all.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mine was FF7 which I keep taking out and setting my PS1 back up just to play it again. I have a lot of old consoles around my house including the original Nintendo.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments I'm on the other end of the spectrum. When I bought my son his Nintendo I got hooked on FF. We played 1,2,3 and 4. After that my son went on with them, but I didn't.

message 8: by Mark (new)

I really liked four but when I got around to playing them that was the earliest you could get.

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I understand the new consoles having their own proprietary games, but I think they should be able to handle the previous formats too! Especially in the case of PS. The PS3 the boys went and bought last night won't play my PS2 or PS games! That bites. One more box to add to the pile under my TV. *sigh*

message 10: by Mark (new)

Yeah I never understood why they did that with the PS3. I mean the discs are the same it's literally just a compatibility issue.

message 11: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments I don't have a PS3 but isn't there like 2 models with the more expensive model having the capability to play all the earlier games.

I found all the first 3 FF games in a single game pack which I play on my PS2.

Oh, those are the ones called 1 2 and 3 in America. As I understand it in Japan they are numbered differently with a few earlier games never released here.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Oddly my PS1 works but my PS2 does not.

message 13: by Weenie (new)

Weenie All this talk of FF...I've just ordered FF IV for my DS lol!

message 14: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:21PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments My PS2 not only works it what I play movies (and sometimes audio CDs) on LOL.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Weenie wrote: "All this talk of FF...I've just ordered FF IV for my DS lol!"

Thanks for reminding me about the DD...coincidentally has anyone else played Revenant Wings here?

message 16: by Meels (last edited Nov 07, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I don't have a PS3 but isn't there like 2 models with the more expensive model having the capability to play all the earlier games.

I found all the first 3 FF games in a single game pack which I p..."

The two versions are just size, 120 gig and 360 if I remember correctly. I don't know a GB from a Dog bite, it means nothing to me. But, I do remember numbers and I'm pretty sure they are 120 or 360. We got the bigger more expensive one (both times), but they don't play the earlier formats anymore I am told. They used to play PS2 games, but not PS1 ever. Now, I'm told they don't do either, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

message 17: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) My old PS3 that I bought when they first came out used to play PS1 games, probably still does if I unpack it and hook it back up. It was great, the only problem was that it quit playing PS3 discs, so we packed it up and got a new PS3.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments I never went PS3. I don't play console games that much anymore, mostly I play PC based games. My PS2 plays PS2 and PS1 games, I use it as a DVD player and CD player etc.

If I bought another console I'd probably go Xbox or something as they seem to have more RPGs and Action RPGs now.

message 19: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I can't manage the Xbox controller. I've been PS conditioned!

Got my book for FFXII in the mail yesterday, YAY! Now I need to find time to play. We're booked up all week, and if we do have time I don't think I'm going to be allowed to touch the PS2, Honey is going to want to play PS3.

There just aren't enough hours in the day.

I need to win the lottery so I can retire. :)

message 20: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Just got FFXIV for PC, haven't popped it in yet.

Any advice?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments Sorry. Haven't played the later one.

message 22: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I'm struggling with my FFIV on my DS lol! Think I saved at the wrong time!

message 23: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I feel you Ween, I got myself stuck on War in the North by going straight to the dwarves mountain (I meant to do some side quests first, but one of my side quests was to talk to a dwarf and I wasn't thinking when I clicked on the map), now I'm stuck repeatedly not being able to kill two trolls before they bash down the doors of the hall...ugh! I think I'm going to have to just start over!!

message 24: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I think I'm going back to the beginning too!

message 25: by Mark (new)

I remember playing FFX all the way up to the battle with Evrae without having an effective way to block status ailments and and had used the second save sphere in the area and had no separate saves so could not do anything without going all the back to the start. Destroyed it the second time around though. With ff i'm constantly under training myself through the earlier parts and then struggling to catch up to what I should be.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 39 comments I never got into the "later" or more modern FF. I'd moved from console games to PC games. I have FF 12 on my shelf (because a guy swore it was the most amazing game ever and I had to try it) but never have. I guess I need to. I think the last FF game I played was like FF4.