Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:15PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Pina Colada Cupcakes

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
3 eggs
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 container Betty Crocker® Whipped vanilla frosting
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1.Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, water, 1 teaspoon rum extract, the pineapple and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
2.Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3.Stir coconut extract and 1 teaspoon rum extract into frosting. Spread frosting on cupcakes. Dip tops of frosted cupcakes in coconut. Store loosely covered.
Makes 24 cupcakes

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments My Pina Colada cupcakes turned into a cake. I doubled the recipe. I found the batter to be "heavy", and was afraid the cupcakes wouldn't bake right in my tiny cupcake tin pan. But what do I know, I can't cook, and everybody knows it, LOL! It does taste pretty good. My mother who doesn't like cake with frosting, loves it!

I'll post pic.

message 3: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments yummo!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Wish I wasn't allergic to coconut, they sound delicious!

message 5: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments that sounds yummy, minus the coconut LOL

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I want to post my pic, I really do. But everytime I try to access the pic on my cell, the phone cuts off. I even charged it, WTF?! It's so frustrating. The one time I actually think something I baked is pretty, and this happens. I even even toasted the coconut to make it "pop" you know? I just can't stop laughing at myself, LOL!!!!! (But hate my cell phone)

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I'm sure they look delicious because they sound so yummy:P I love Pina Coladas!

message 8: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I want to post my pic, I really do. But everytime I try to access the pic on my cell, the phone cuts off. I even charged it, WTF?! It's so frustrating. The one time I actually think something I b..."

I'm laughing here too Michelle! I love your dedication to the presentation! coconut that pops, lol!

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Cheryl wrote: "I'm sure they look delicious because they sound so yummy:P I love Pina Coladas!"

Speaking of pics... Cheryl, I've been dying to ask: what is your avatar a picture of?

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) It was taken in the mountains of Colorado at the San Juan river as a storm moves in.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That sky is pretty dramatic. Did you used to live in Colorado, or were you just visiting.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) We were visiting my husbands cousins cabin. My husband is from New Mexico but we live in Cincinnati,OH. We met in the military.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I saw you lived in OH. Neat that you two met in the military. I think Pamela(All Honey) met her husband in the military too.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I'm a Ohio girl too, but I'm absolute opposite corner of the state from you, Cheryl.
Wish I was in Colorado though. =)

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I wouldn't mind moving to Colorado. It is absolutely gorgeous out there. What part of Ohio are you from Heather?

message 16: by Kit★ (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments We're all cool, b/c Ohio's cool ^^ Lol. I'm about halfway between Youngstown and Akron, right along the I-76 line myself, though I'm absolutely dying to move somewheres else like the Carolina's or maybe Tennessee/Kentucky area, or hell, maybe even Georgia or Louisiana... or if we're gonna dream big, Europe somewhere...anywhere but here! I'm so tired of here, wouldn't be so bad if I got to go places on vacations or something but I haven't been on a real vacation since I was still in school and my parents would take us somewhere in the summer. :( Did get to go to Colorado with our steel drum band in high school, and we played at 6 Flags and we got to go to Redrock Ampitheater and explore and it was fun :)

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) I feel the same way I just got to get out of here. I would love to live in South Carolina/Georgia. If not there then probably out west. I need more sunshine!!

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Girls after my own heart, we all live in Ohio, but we all want out. LOL
I'm a little east of Cleveland, along the Lake, Cheryl. So interesting meeting up with people in your own backyard.
Will you be going to the Buckeye Book Fair this weekend in Wooster, Kit★?

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cawils_99) Heather, unfortunately I have to work this weekend so I won't be able to go:(

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments It's looking like I can't go either, but I thought I would inquire.

message 21: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments No, but I saw the ads in the newspaper, wish I could! I'd go nuts :)

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I made "blonde bombshell" cupcakes. I even made the frosting from scratch. They came out pretty good. I'm trying to copy and past the recipe from Nook for pc app, but nothing is happening. Hmmm.....

message 23: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments what's in blonde bombshell cupcakes?

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "what's in blonde bombshell cupcakes?"

They're almond flavored cupcakes with a vanilla flavored buttercream frosting. I'll type out the ingredients sometime today.

message 25: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments YAY! thank you :)

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "YAY! thank you :)"

Sorry Susan, I'll post that recipe in soon.

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments The girls and I made Cookies and Cream Cupcakes yesterday. YUMMY! I didn't necessarily care for the frosting; it was yummy, but just didn't do it for me.

Here's the recipe

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1 2/3 c sugar
3 large egg whites, room temp
2 tsp vanilla
1 c milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped

FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 c confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcakes pans with liners. Place an Oreo half in bottom of each liner, cream side up. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on med-high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated.

Evenly divide mixture between cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Allow to cool in pans 5-10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on med-high until smooth. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners sugar until incorporated and smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on med-low just until incorporated, then increase the speed to med-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm sooo sorry Susan. I'll post the blonde bombshell recipe this evening.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "The girls and I made Cookies and Cream Cupcakes yesterday. YUMMY! I didn't necessarily care for the frosting; it was yummy, but just didn't do it for me.

Here's the recipe

Cookies and Cream Cup..."

Sounds good to me!

message 30: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments No worries, Michelle! Whenever you get around to it is fine :)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Here's the frosting recipe for the blonde bombshell cupcakes:

The rest of the recipe is on its way!

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar 2-3 tablespoons milk (or whipping cream)
Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl often. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. For best results, keep icing in refrigerator when not in use. This icing can be stored up to 2 weeks. Rewhip before using. Makes 3 cups of icing.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments [image error]

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Blonde Bombshell Cupcakes

“An almond-flavored cupcake topped with vanilla buttercream and sprinkled with toasted almonds.”

¾ cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups flour
1 ¼ cups milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar at medium speed, add eggs and milk, and beat until smooth. Beat in extracts. Add dry ingredients, beat until smooth. Fill cupcake liner 2/3 full. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Makes 24.

Frost with vanilla buttercream and sprinkle with toasted almond slivers.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.