Indie Book Club discussion

Book of the Month: Other > November discussion Scourge of an Agnostic God

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
This month's book is Scourge of an Agnostic God. Go to www.michaeljuge.com to pick up a free pdf copy if you are interested in joining the discussion at no cost! Just click on the tab for the book at the top of the page.

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
I have my copy on my iPad and have started reading it last night.

Scott, you've read this before. Is this a super-religious book?

message 3: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Religion is dealt with in the book, but it didn't leave me feeling like I had been to a sermon or anything. I guess later in the book there is a quasi new religion that sort of develops, but it is very plot related. I guess religion is one of the sources on conflict that the survivors have to deal with. It's not the basis of the book or anything though.

message 4: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Ok, good deal. Thanks!

message 5: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I'll start off the discussion by saying I really didn't like Chris in the beginning. When I read the sample I was actually worried I wouldn't like the book at all, but everything really picks up after "the event" happens. I really started to like the story after everyone decides to leave the city.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments Hey guys, fear not. It's not a religious book; after all, I'm a devout agnostic. That being said, one of the themes explored is humanity's search for meaning. And I hope Scourge captured that aspect of the human condition. Actually, the title "Scourge of an Agnostic God" is more of a play on an expression. :)

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Michael, thanks for the clarification! I really don't have anything against religion, but I've read a lot of books that try to push their religion on you and the story suffers as a result.

I'm liking it so far!

message 8: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I was definitely thinking the same thing. Chris was coming across as a wimp. I kept thinking, ok, this is how the author wants the character to appear. Then the character contemplated (view spoiler)

Looking forward to some more down time when I can read some more! Damn clients keep wanting more appointments. Jeez. Why can't they stop breaking their computers??? :)

message 9: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I'd say that I'm better than half way through now. The book is really good so far. Still, not one word about the Event, or more specifically, (view spoiler)

I have only read one other post-apocalyptic novel, Alas, Babylon. I keep comparing the two.

Michael, what was your source of inspiration for writing this book? How'd you come up with the idea?

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments My inspiration was panic. Chris' story reflects the events in my own life with the minor exception that civilization didn't end with a quickness. While I was in the belly of the beast of my own OCD mind, I picked up a book by SM Stirling called "Dies the Fire," an apocalyptic story where suddenly something unfathomable happened, an event later called "the Change" struck where electricty no longer worked, and not even fast combustion was possible (i.e., guns and explosives no longer worked). Impossible, but Stirling wanted to demonstrate our reliance on technology.

Anywho, I found that as horrifying as this collapse of civilization was, as I read I noticed that my mind obsessed less on the panic and my tinnitus. Ironically, reading this apocalyptic story soothed me. Later, I realized that I related to the story as I was undergoing my own personal apocalypse. When the my son was born and the meds kicked in, the panic subsided, but it kind of haunted me. I needed to explore panic, collapse, and how we are revealed in catastrophe. And I loved the idea that just as an apocalyptic story saved me from my own mind, the events save Chris from himself and gives Rita purpose. I pay tribute to Stirling in this story by exploring the loss of technology idea, but that is actually possible.
And to answer your question, yes, the story does reveal a most likely cause, which we can discuss when it's appropriate.

message 11: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I'm a big fan of the archer brigade. I have always been a fan of archers in video games/stories, but I have only actually used a bow once. Of course it was a Japanese long bow that I used while visiting Japan when I was 12 so I think it gets extra awesome points.

message 12: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Gaia... haven't heard that since the days of Captain Planet. :)

I love how (view spoiler)

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments @ Scott: I know. For some reason, I was drawn to the idea of the bow as a symbol or something.
@ Jeff: Good catch! Man, I wonder how many more wacky references you're gonna catch that I threw in there. Awaiting the arrival of Ephemora via Amazon.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments BTW how to you make the "hide spoiler" thing? I want to add material but I don't want to spoil it.

message 15: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Nov 21, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Michael - when you want to use the "spoiler" tag, type < followed by "spoiler" (no quotes) and then >. No spaces. Once you want to end the spoiler, use the same thing, but add a "/" in front of "spoiler". So it'll be *spoiler* and */spoiler*. Substitute the < and > instead of the asterisks.

message 16: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask. Your book has got to be the only one that has links to different music at each chapter. What inspired you to do that?

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments While writing "Scourge of an Agnostic God" and later the sequels "A Hard Rain" and Book Three (to be published early 2012), I listened to a lot of the music listed in the book. I wrote in a sort of visual way, thinking like...if this were a movie or a TV series (preferably AMC or HBO, of course), what music would be in the background?

And since Chris dealt with his OCD by singing pop tunes, the music in the mind of Chris became a part of the story itself. I realized that it would only be fitting that I tell the reading, "hey, listen to this song while you read."

iUniverse wasn't able to make hyperlinks to Youtube like I wanted, so that's why for the sequel "A Hard Rain," I used Publish Green to do my eBooks, because, I want the reader to hear the music being played or that is on the mind of the characters. Glad you noticed that.

What do you think of the soundtrack? And did you check out the Youtube trailers? You'll see how I incorporate that movie-esque thing.

How did you feel about the infusion of big box stores, pop cultural references, memes and jokes in contrast to the post apocalyptic setting?

message 18: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Nov 26, 2011 05:49PM) (new)

I do like the music references! I think that's a great idea to put links to the songs you're writing about.

As for the infusion of big name stores and pop cultural references, I loved it! The geek in me is ashamed to see references to the Klingon language and know it for what it was w/o the explanation. Made me laugh (& cringe).

I was very glad to see the (view spoiler)

5 stars, my friend! I will write up my review and post it everywhere I can here shortly! I'm almost finished with Jim's book, and want to start asking some questions that I've jotted down.

Jim, batter up!

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments Hey Jeff. Awesome and thank you. I've just started with Ephemora and it's captured me. First of all, beautiful writing style, way to go to bring the reader in. I've also noticed how there is some commonality in regards to the saturation of commercialized reality, which fascinates me. Thanks again for kudos. And remember, A Hard Rain, book two of the Shift trilogy is out, and Book Three has been written and will be released early 2012. And Scott, you're the best. Thanks.
BTW, what's Jim's book?

message 20: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Nov 27, 2011 10:24AM) (new)

Actually, I wrote Bakkian Chronicles, Book I - The Prophecy and Bakkian Chronicles, Book II - Insurrection.

You must be referring to the other Jeff. That's why I started going by "Big J" in here. :)

Jim's book is In Wilder Lands: The Fall of Eldvar. It's really good so far!

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments Great. thanks.

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 150 comments Apparently I'm watching the wrong thread to see my book mentioned. :)

Someday, if the 14-16hr work days end I hope to get caught up on all these books getting mentioned in this group. Being this far behind is killing me.

Jim

message 23: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Michael - I wanted to let you know that I posted my review (5 stars!) for your book on Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads, Shelfari, and my own blog.

Great book! It stays on my iPad!

message 24: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I had something to discuss and I haven't been able to remember it for the past week. It will come back to me!

message 25: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

LOL! Dude, that's my excuse! I'm older than you!!

message 26: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I really enjoyed the epic battle with the water balloons and the pumpkin catapult. I don't think that is spoilerish, but it sure sounds intriguing lol.

message 27: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Yeah, I loved the reference to Punkin Chunkin!!

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Juge (underdogwriter) | 12 comments Thanks, guys, especially for the reviews. And I am loving Ephemera and will post my review. Regarding the seminal battle that will be known as the Battle of Exxon Heights, I was fortunate enough to have seen one of the Punkin Chunkin contests, which inspired me.

message 29: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

That cracked me up, about the Punkin Chunkin, especially since my wife and I had just watched Punkin Chunkin 2011 on Thanksgiving day. Great to see!!