The Zombie Group! discussion

The Walking Dead (Show)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments I'd really like to start a discussion about The Walking Dead. Mostly because I am very upset with Shane right now, but am also very fascinated by his recent behaviour. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the season thus far!

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Its moving a bit slow. I find myself being either bored to death or scared out of my wits!

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments The first little bit, yes, but it's definitely starting to pick up! I remember last year it was like an hour long cardio session my heart was beating rapidly for the whole show!

I'm just so fascinated by Shane right now. I think I have him figured out...

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine The whole part with Shane and Otis had my heart racing. I wasn't too surprised how it turned out because it was pretty obvious what had to happen. What I don't get is why he buzzed his hair? Penance?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Shane's hair was pulled from Otis. I think that's why he shaved it off.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine You are right! I forgot.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah :)

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney I think that covering up the ripped out hair was the initial impetus for shaving his head, but in a larger sense Shane was marking his personal transformation into a killer. The one who does the tough things needed to survive that the others can't stomach.

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments I think you're right Whitney. I think he is battling the animal inside of him. He's not a bad guy. He protected Laurie and Carl, he did his best to protect Rick, he stepped up when Carl was shot. I think he certainly has some demons he is working through (which is obviously exasperated by the stress factor). I don't think he was going to accept failure as an option for this specific mission, which is why he made that choice. It wasn't out of malice, it was survival pure and simple...at the end of the episode, you saw that he was remorseful.

message 10: by S (new)

S (stormdream) | 9 comments The season got off to a great start, but it's slowed down quite a bit these last couple of episodes. Pretty much everyone except Daryl and Dale (and T-Bone, when he's not feverish) is driving me nuts.

I feel like we're seeing two major arcs unfold, though. One is Daryl's transformation from...well, mouthy redneck into genuine hero, while Shane is sliding from genuine (if troubled) hero into potential villain.

I say potential villain because I'm not at all sure Shane and Otis couldn't have escaped together...I'll have to rewatch the episode, but when you consider how long it took him to shoot the poor dude, then taking the time to fight him off, and he *still* managed to escape the ghouls while limping...he might as well have let the guy live.

I imagine the truth will come out at some point. Makes for good drama. :)

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Interesting Suz!

I forgot about Daryl. He is also becoming interesting to watch. He as well is not such a bad guy, I think he was a little defensive at first, and a little pissed off about his brother. Let me just say that for the zombapocalypse, I'd love to have a cross bow! lol!

I am really enjoying the complexity of many of the characters. No one is "black and white", which makes for a fascinating watch.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (skulli) | 1 comments I agree that this season is moving VERY slowly. Last week's episode almost bored me to tears. I understand that the characters are going through some heavy emotional upheaval but we need more zombie action and less discussion!
I also agree with Suz that Daryl is quickly becoming a star character. He's pretty much the only one I can stand lately.
The Shane development was slightly shocking to me at first but after I thought it over, it made a little more sense. Something has to give in the Ricki/Lori/Shane love triangle so why not make Shane the villain so that they can get rid of him?

message 13: by Riah (new)

Riah (Moscato) First off let me say this is my favorite show. Second, I agree Shane is a very troubled intense character but without him the show would not be the same. His behavior in the last episode was just awful but that's the kind of characters that make for an entertaining show.

message 14: by Router (new)

Router | 3 comments I felt like a traitor when all I wanted to do was fast forward some scenes in episode 2 (season 2). Very glad to here other fans feel the show is moving a little bit slower. Hopefully it will pick up :) Bring on the hordes of zombies.

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments I think things are about to get very interesting. I also think that we waited so friggin long for the second season that we are trying to get our fix! lol! At least that's the case for me. I guess it was about a year ago that I started reading zombie fiction...mostly because I needed that fix due to the short season.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments I thought the bit when Shane shaved his head was excellent - very moody. It reminded me of the film Taxi Driver where Travis Bickle shaves his head. When Shane was looking in the mirror I was imagining him saying "Are you talking to me?" in his head.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (happyhannah) | 7 comments NEW EPISODE.... Last nights episode was very very slow!!!! It had only 1 zombie in it and it was a weird swimming zombie which i don't really understand how it developed Gills... I think that if the girl doesn't show up in the next episode they need to move on with the series because most of it is developing around her being missing and its very boring!!!! The only part in the episode i really liked was the part about the flower, that was very touching and cute. Hopefully that is foreshadowing that they are going to find the girl in the next episode!!

message 18: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments I agree, it wasn't the usual heart pounding hour it normally is. Having said that, The Walking Dead is about the characters and how they cope and develop in the post apocalyptic world. I think a show that focuses solely on zombies would not be successful, as it would lose steam very quickly. From the episode 5 tease at the end, it looks as though we'll get some action very soon!

message 19: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 17 comments Alexis, I have to agree with you on that. Although we might be zombie fans, there really is no human side to a zombie to relate to.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments I have to say I love the series so far. I haven't really found it that slow. Still holds my attention. I was afraid the blonde was going to kill Daryl. Very glad her aim was off.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (happyhannah) | 7 comments Yeah, i was also very happy that Daryl didn't die... He's my favorite character!

message 22: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 8 comments Happyhannah wrote: "Yeah, i was also very happy that Daryl didn't die... He's my favorite character!"

hi Happyhannah!

imagine my relief to know that Im not the only one who likes Daryl lol :)

message 23: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 17 comments I took the "Which character are you" survey and I'm Dale. That sounds about right.

Jo

message 24: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Dei-dei wrote: "Happyhannah wrote: "Yeah, i was also very happy that Daryl didn't die... He's my favorite character!"

hi Happyhannah!

imagine my relief to know that Im not the only one who likes Daryl lol :)"

I think Daryl is awesome! I like the juxtaposition between seemingly redneck lowlife, and the caring person he is beginning to show. I was heartbroken when I thought he had died.

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (happyhannah) | 7 comments Yes!!!!! I love how Daryl has a bow and arrow instead of a gun. Guns run out of ammio and are loud ( that would attract more walkers). A bow an arrow you can reuse the arrows and you can always make new ones. Plus arrows are silent.

message 26: by S (new)

S (stormdream) | 9 comments Loved episode 5! Feels like the show is getting back on track.

So...question...Daryl reuses arrows, right? And he fell on one of them? So...I mean I'm assuming it's a clean arrow, but wouldn't that be similar to getting bitten?

More importantly--why the heck haven't they taught the women how to shoot? I think it was episode 4 where Dale hands Carol his gun, and she looks at it like it's a dead rat and says "I don't know how to use that." I don't know what the timeframe is here--a month, at least, post-zombiedom? So why are the women just OK with doing the laundry? At least learn to defend yourselves, ladies!

Am very glad Andrea's aim was a bit off, though I'm also happy she's becoming more proactive. Shane continues his downward spiral, but he made some good points about the little girl (where is she, anyway?).

Alexis is quite right in that you can't just have all zombies, all the time, but I've been very, very frustrated with the characters. Haven't any of them ever seen a zombie movie? I'd think at least Glenn did...

message 27: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Suz wrote: "Loved episode 5! Feels like the show is getting back on track.

So...question...Daryl reuses arrows, right? And he fell on one of them? So...I mean I'm assuming it's a clean arrow, but wouldn't tha..."

hmmm, I never thought of that arrow issue Suz...Did anyone else notice that when they picked Daryl up off the ground after he had been shot, he had the ear necklace in his mouth?

I have also decided that I need me a crossbow...or take up archery...or both.

message 28: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 8 comments @Alexis: yes, your definitely right, though hes a bit short tempered and rough on the edges, deep inside he cares for others unlike hes older brother merle. And oh, i forgot hes really capable of surviving the Zombie apocalypse with only a crossbow and some tough attitude, Daryl rocks! lol

message 29: by S (new)

S (stormdream) | 9 comments He had the ear necklace in his mouth?! Ick! Hope he didn't bite down...

That's just whole new levels of gross there. Such an entertaining character, though.

message 30: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 17 comments Suz wrote: "He had the ear necklace in his mouth?! Ick! Hope he didn't bite down...

That's just whole new levels of gross there. Such an entertaining character, though."

The ear necklace is a carry over from the Vietnam war. It's one of those "Can you hear me now" type things. A souvenir of sorts.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm new to the group - love the show.

I've read most of the posts here and I agree with most of y'all. The show seems to have slowed waaaaaaay down aparently so everyone can engage in drama and self-inflicted emotional damage. Hopefully the pace will pick up.

Daryl strikes me as person I'd most like with me in the Zombie Apocalypse. Practical, plain-spoken, and a good shot.

I wouldn't turn my back on Shane, in the middle of a near extiction event he's obsessed with his best friend's wife. Since this is TV he won't stay happy with Andrea no matter what she does.

It'll be interesting.

message 32: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Joe wrote: "Hi, I'm new to the group - love the show.

I've read most of the posts here and I agree with most of y'all. The show seems to have slowed waaaaaaay down aparently so everyone can engage in dra..."

Hi Joe! Nice to hear your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure the Shane and Andrea thing was for pure physical purposes!

message 33: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 8 comments Joe wrote: "Hi, I'm new to the group - love the show.

I've read most of the posts here and I agree with most of y'all. The show seems to have slowed waaaaaaay down aparently so everyone can engage in dra..."

Welcome to the group joe :)

regarding shane, i have a bad feeling hes gonna kill Dale! Its too bad hes starting to lose his conscience O_o

message 34: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments My guess? I think they are kind of following the storyline of the comic in a way...Since they all just had their gun training, I think that Shane is going to threaten to shoot Dale, but Carl may shoot him like he did in the comic when Shane was about to shoot Rick...

message 35: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 8 comments Alexis wrote: "My guess? I think they are kind of following the storyline of the comic in a way...Since they all just had their gun training, I think that Shane is going to threaten to shoot Dale, but Carl may s..."

meaning Shane is going to die? Ive read an issue of the walking dead comic series and i was confused on why rick lost his hand and where the other survivors were?

message 36: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Dei-dei wrote: "Alexis wrote: "My guess? I think they are kind of following the storyline of the comic in a way...Since they all just had their gun training, I think that Shane is going to threaten to shoot Dale,..."

That's my thought about Shane. I've only read the first 8 issues, and I think the one you read Dei-dei, must have been much later on. I would miss Shane though, mostly because he's nice to look at lol!

message 37: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies Oh Alexis, I'm so disappointed in your choice of hotties! I would choose Rick over Shane any day, Shane is too muscle...

So you really think it will come down over Dale? I don't. I think it will play out closer to the comics, he;ll find out Lori is Pregnant and flip out face to face with Rick. It was so important in the comics that Carl (er... sorry for the spoiler for those that haven't read it) killed him. It showed later on that he was like his dad, willing to make the hard decisions that were painful for him but good for the group.

message 38: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Holden wrote: "Oh Alexis, I'm so disappointed in your choice of hotties! I would choose Rick over Shane any day, Shane is too muscle...

So you really think it will come down over Dale? I don't. I think it wil..."

hahah, I just said that Shane was nice to look at! Purely Aesthetic. In real life I would definitely be put off...overly beautiful people are almost intimidating.

I dunno, I just think they are starting to follow the comics a bit more, even if they are mixing and matching events and characters.

message 39: by Inday (new)

Inday (egregore) | 8 comments Alexis wrote: "Holden wrote: "Oh Alexis, I'm so disappointed in your choice of hotties! I would choose Rick over Shane any day, Shane is too muscle...

So you really think it will come down over Dale? I don't. ..."

i agree with the whole "intimidating" part Alexis. Just same with what a friend of mine said to regarding beautiful people: You cant trust a Face that Pretty! lol

message 40: by Kama (new)

Kama Everyone's so hard on Shane, but one of the points of the Zombiepocolypse Universe is exploring what happens when society is completely destroyed. Rick is clinging to what keeps us civilized, and Shane represents a more pragmatic dog-eat-dog view of what it take to survive.

I don't think it's just about him being in knots over Lori. When he and Rick argued about the continuing to search for the little girl, Shane made good points about continuing the search for one little girl putting the entire group at risk. And if you imagine the universe these characters inhabit, that's probably about the survival of the species. It's all well and good to look for days and days for a little girl when there aren't Zombies infesting the hills that want to eat you, but the pragmatic side of me sees Shane's point. There's zombies out there that want to eat us and every time we go out, we risk losing another person from what is probably an already greatly diminished (perhaps beyond recovery) population. Yeah, it's heartless, but so are zombies.

Also, I've wondered how careful Daryl is with those arrows. Contamination seems easy.

message 41: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Kama wrote: "Everyone's so hard on Shane, but one of the points of the Zombiepocolypse Universe is exploring what happens when society is completely destroyed. Rick is clinging to what keeps us civilized, and S..."

Well put Kama! The basis of any story is conflict. Last season the conflict arose around the character's environment and immediate survival. This season, the conflicts appear to be revolving more around both interpersonal and intrapersonal relationships as opposed to immediate survival.

By the way, LOVED the finale last night. Definitely a sense of closure, and I feel I can now bare with the 2 month hiatus...although not pleased about it.

message 42: by Christian (new)

Christian Riley (mement0mori) First time poster to the group. So first, hello!

Now, am I the only one who has read the books? The show has stayed fairly close to the story arcs set in place by the comics. Daryl is a new character so he has been a lot of fun to watch.

Having read the comics there is this anxiety of knowing what is coming and not knowing when the directors and Kirkman are going to unload on us. 2 months without the show, huh? Oof.

message 43: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies @Kama: but that's exactly why I hate Shane so much. No matter how bad things got I would want to hang onto my "humanity" and as much of the old, civilized world as possible. Survival purely for survivals sake seems to demean us as people and make us just animals. It's like Dale said, he belongs in that world, which is why I just don't care for the guy.

message 44: by Kama (new)

Kama @Holden: What I'm not liking about Shane right now is that the writers are making his character pretty one-dimensional. I just don't think the writers are doing his character - and the position he's taken to survive the unthinkable (which isn't really all the unreasonable if it's about the survival of the group.) - any justice by painting him in such an un-nuanced way. Show me a character that struggles with the choices he's made, but makes the pragmatic ones anyway. Show me a character that regrets the loss of humanity, but lets some of his humanity go in order to survive and keep his tribe alive, believing he's done the right thing even though he hates that it had to be that way. That's a great and complicated character. Shane right now is just not a great character.

I did like that Rick stepped up last night to do what Shane wouldn't do. While I wish Shane's devolution had been handled better, no matter how it was told, the fundamental truth of the character would have been that he was completely ignoring to how awful it was for the people on the farm, with their friends, family and neighbors turned. How fitting then that when at the end it was someone he knew and had cared about, he couldn't do anything. Just like the people on the farm, and Rick had to do be the one to do the hard work.

@Christian: Haven't read the books yet, and I'm not sure when I will. But I will!

message 45: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies @Kama: what you just described is almost a perfect description of Rick's character in the comics. So hopefully he will be able to be that person in the show, I kind of feel like he's been put in the back burner for this season. In the comics Shane was dead long before now. From the perspective of one who's read the comics it feels like they are taking this character that only was on the comic for a very short while and really only had a chance to be one dimensional and stretching him out way to far.

message 46: by S (new)

S (stormdream) | 9 comments Hmm, I don't see Shane as one-dimensional at all--he's frankly one of the few characters on there that's managed to keep my attention, despite his penchant for sliding to the Dark Side. Or maybe that's why he's so riveting--he's been on a pretty steady downward spiral, mentally. Some really fine acting from Jon Bernthal.

I basically agree with Shane on most of his points about survival--he's just been reduced to delivering them in the midst of screaming fits, so he's that much harder to take seriously. His meltdown at the end of last night's episode where he started throwing himself against the barn door...I mean, damn. I was sitting there waiting for someone, ANYONE to stop him (suspected Carl might put that gun to use), but they all just seemed completely paralyzed.

In hindsight, I'm thinking this part of the season has been to demonstrate how...I don't know, ill-equipped they are to deal with everything? Still think it was too slow for the most part, and the women are making me grind my teeth, but maybe that's just me.

message 47: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Suz wrote: "Hmm, I don't see Shane as one-dimensional at all--he's frankly one of the few characters on there that's managed to keep my attention, despite his penchant for sliding to the Dark Side. Or maybe th..."

I am finding Shane fascinating to watch. He's why I started this discussion after he shot Otis. It's all starting to "get to him", and I think Jon Bernthal is doing a great job. He's definitely not that bad guy, he's a realist. It was mentioned that he had military training, and I think he's reverting to that mentality.

I think this part of the season was focused on character development, that's why it was a bit slower, but we've gotten to know everyone a little better now that everyone is a little less on guard. I've been appreciating the dimensionality of most of the characters.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

The question I've had for a while now is, how long can those Walkers hold themselves together? This is supposed to be near Atlanta in mid summer. The Walkers should be nothing more than piles of bones in smelly liquids after a couple of weeks in that heat and humidity.

message 49: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Joe wrote: "The question I've had for a while now is, how long can those Walkers hold themselves together? This is supposed to be near Atlanta in mid summer. The Walkers should be nothing more than piles of b..."

I suppose it depends on what line of thought you use for "zombie theory" lol!

message 50: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies Well, going by what has been talked about on the show Jenner (the CDC guy) showed them that when the walkers re-animate some or most of their bodily functions restart, just in an altered/stunted version. So I would assume that those things that keep us the living from melting away are keeping them from the same. That seems reasonable, no?

« previous 1 3 4