What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Collected Short Stories of Louis l'Amour, Volume 1: Frontier Stories
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short Story-western: man leaves wife alone on frontier, dies, another man searches [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments This is a story I read while in high school in Michigan in 2008. It was in a thick text book comprised of numerous other short stories; it may have been a "Prentice Hall" text book. The story begins in a frontier setting. A husband leaves his wife and family and sets off on a several day journey to town. Once there, however, he gets himself involved in a fight and is killed. An observer, having discovered that the dead man had a wife and family, is concerned about their fate. He sets off into the wilderness to look for them.
(view spoiler)

This is an excellent short story and I have been searching for it for Years! My school got rid of those text books the year after I read the story and I have not been able to find it. Below is a link to the picture which appeared above the story in my text book. It is an independent work by Frederic Remington. The two have no relation except that they were paired together in this particular text book. ANY help or suggestions would be Much appreciated!

http://prints.encore-editions.com/500...

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 01, 2011 12:30PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Abby--no idea what this story is, but have you checked with the Remington people? All his works must be liscensed for use, so they might be able to help you out.

Edit--I mean his estate administrators. Sorry, just realized this might be a bit confusing, so thought I'd clarify it.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments Ann, I'm not exactly sure who they might be or how to contact them, but I'm going to start searching. That's an excellent idea.

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments It is called "The Gift of Cochise," by Louise L'amour. I was helped by Abe Book Sleuth. Solved!!! =D