Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Divergent > Factions

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Nov 03, 2011 06:06AM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments What do you think about the factions? Are they a good idea? Does it make sense? What faction would you choose?

Or, what do you think initiation would be like for the other factions?

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I wouldn't choose one, but the one I think I'm most like is probably Erudite.

message 3: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments I would probably be included in Erudite... but I prefer to be in Abnegation. :)

message 4: by Mayze (new)

Mayze I took a quiz that said I would be in Amity, which would be nice but maybe a little boring. I think it would be hard to choose between any of them though.

message 5: by Mia Claire (new)

Mia Claire | 142 comments Took the quiz a few days ago and I got Erudite.

message 6: by Miss Ryoko (last edited Nov 18, 2011 06:52AM) (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments I think being factionless is being "free." Tris kept saying how she was free in Dauntless, but she wasn't. They wanted her to act a certain way. Just like all the other factions. To me, true freedom is being factionless. Because then you can be whoever you want. You have no rules to live by in terms of how you have to think or behave.

I always thought that was interesting that Tris never deduced that...though she is an idiot, so that's probably why.

I'd probably be in Erudite or Candor. I can't really decide which.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Every time I took the quiz it said I would be Dauntless. As for if i agree with the system, i think its kind of stupid to devote your life to one virtue because you can't have one without the other

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments That's how I feel. I've never taken this quiz, but in order to be brave (and not die) you need to be smart, in order for being brave to do anything, you often need to be selfless, to tell the truth you need to be brave, etc. When you try to separate out the key values, you lose human nature. Divergents aren't freaks, they're normal.

message 9: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments Yes, and that is the point the author is making. Which is why Tris will overcome all obstacles and always be amazing at what she does (I say this with a hint of sarcasm because I hate her so much and want to see her fail XD but in reality, we all know this will prove to be true in the next two books).

message 10: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Kate wrote: "That's how I feel. I've never taken this quiz, but in order to be brave (and not die) you need to be smart, in order for being brave to do anything, you often need to be selfless, to tell the truth..."

So true, Kate. I've always wondered at that in the book. Everyone is different, complex, and divergent.

message 11: by Mayze (new)

Mayze Kate wrote: "That's how I feel. I've never taken this quiz, but in order to be brave (and not die) you need to be smart, in order for being brave to do anything, you often need to be selfless, to tell the truth..."

Definitely.

message 12: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Gahh, sorry I haven't been posting.

I would like to be in *forgets word* um. The nice one?

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Amity?

message 14: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I think so. Either that or abnegation, they were both kind of nice though Amity was the nicest.

message 15: by A (new)

A H I think I would most probably choose Erudite or Dauntless.

message 16: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (solar333) I got Amity on the faction test on Facebook, but I'd probably choose Candor.

message 17: by Phedra (new)

Phedra Wade (phedrawade) | 1 comments i hate the factions yet love them and if i had to be in one it would it would most likely be in Dauntless

message 18: by Toni (new)

Toni Sparks (sparkles0322) | 31 comments I thought the factions were kind of a good idea, it would lead to a simple and sure life. If I could choose a faction to be in, It would be either Amity, because I hate violence and love to help people, or Candor, because I'm a pretty open person anyway and its probably the only initiation that I would be able to pass.

message 19: by Max Myers (new)

Max Myers | 2 comments Erudite for me.

message 20: by Arbaaz (new)

Arbaaz Khan (arbaazkhan1999) | 143 comments sorry guys but what's a faction?

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hatton | 1 comments I took the faction quiz to find out that I'm Divergent!! Candor, Abnegation, and Erudite!!!
As for the factions, I like the idea of a system but its always nice to try something new for a change.

message 22: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 11 comments I took a online quiz and I am divergent so I really don't know.

message 23: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 11 comments I could never ever want to touch much less shoot a gun so not dauntless

message 24: by Lilly (new)

Lilly | 11 comments I would probably choose amity

message 25: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 413 comments I took a faction quiz and it said I would most likely be in dauntless but that was the one I would have chosen anyway

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Agh. So hard!!… I would want to be from Candor then choose Dauntless.

message 27: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 21 comments i would choose amity

message 28: by Jagoda (new)

Jagoda the world created by Veronica Roth is really interesting and nice. i love idea with Fractions. i am from Candor and i have transformed to Dauntless :)

message 29: by Avery (new)

Avery Kay (avabooks) | 1 comments I was told I'd make a good Dauntless. But I'm a true Amity at heart!!!

message 30: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 1 comments Divergent gets a lot going through your mind of who you really are.

message 31: by Bookworm445 (new)

Bookworm445 | 237 comments I'm told that I'm divergent:
Candor, Dauntless and Erudite. :)

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Arbaaz wrote: "sorry guys but what's a faction?"

Read the books! The books are amazing!

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Dauntless. Me and my best friend would jump at the chance. We're probably the daredevils of our class.

message 34: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 115 comments I think I'd go for Candor.

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Lynne wrote: "I think I'd go for Candor."

Don't take offense but, didn't Lynn in the book choose Dauntless?

message 36: by mels (new)

mels (padmeskywalkers) | 10006 comments Mod
And aren't you an Oracle, Rachel? XD

I'm an Erudite.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Melisquish wrote: "And aren't you an Oracle, Rachel? XD

I'm an Erudite."

Haha very funny. But I suppose I am. ( very little though)

message 38: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 115 comments Yes, but I'm a different Lynne. :-)

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Ah, I see

message 40: by Naomi (new)

Naomi B | 4 comments Maybe I would choose Erudite, but I think I would have trouble keeping up haha. I like the adrenaline in Dauntless, but I would join the old Dauntless Tobias was talking about - where people had cushioning when fighting for initiation. I think that would be fun and exciting.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 458 comments Erudite is perfect for some people. Its your opinion. If a cetain boy joined Dauntless ( laughs evily ) HE would be come FACTIONLESS ( EVIL LAUGH )