The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #80 - All Hallow's Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Sorry about the delay!

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

And congrats to Icelord!

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I do believe there is a relationship between the amount of wine Veronica drinks and her willingness to curse. :-)

message 3: by Kris (last edited Nov 01, 2011 12:01PM) (new)

Kris (kvolk) More wine would be fine!...Good wrap up for RP1, for a book that was pretty light on substance it generated some great discussion...As to the character intro issue I agree more with Tom but understand what Veronica's point was...In the end characters are just another way for the author to advance the story. I think that Cline just isn't an experienced enough writer yet to advance his story with out using a throw away charater to do it...

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 01, 2011 04:35PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6113 comments How about this list for November, Tom?

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011...

You have a manly voice, Sean. Can you read Japanese?

'Life is sh*t' should have been the title.

Why isn't S&L on the Twit network?

message 5: by Dustin (last edited Nov 01, 2011 04:17PM) (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Tsk,tsk,tsk Tom. Maybe its below the S&L radar or something but being the best seller that it is you should at least mention Inheritance on Nov 8.

But then again I only remembered it because I connected it to Alloy of Law and thought 'what was Sanderson/TOR thinking? He can kiss New York Times BS goodbye.

And really a Spice and Wolf novel? Not sure how that will work but it was a rather character based anime.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Dustin wrote: "And really a Spice and Wolf novel? Not sure how that will work but it was a rather character based anime."

The anime is based upon the books. In fact, most anime these days is adapted from from novels -- Haruhi Suzumiya, A Certain Magical Index, Rocket Girls, Toradora! all started as books.

Tamahome wrote: "You have a manly voice, Sean. Can you read Japanese?"

All my knowledge of Japanese comes from anime (in other words, I know "baka" means idiot and "suke" means love). But I understand it's pronounced mostly like Middle English, which I do know. I'm more concerned with how badly I butchered "Gaston Leroux" since my approach to French is to say the first letter and slur everything after.

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:56PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6113 comments Strange. People at the bookstore are caressing the pages of 1Q84 with their cheeks...

message 8: by Boots (last edited Nov 02, 2011 11:27AM) (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Another great episode and grats to Icelord.

People still seem to be voting on that listopia list. http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12...

message 9: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6113 comments Edited. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey V, please toss up a reminder a couple days before your new show starts. Would love to listen.

message 11: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Always used Locus for my upcoming book list needs. Hope this helps.

Locus Magazine

message 12: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Tamahome wrote: "Edited. :)"

Ditto.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Have we decided on our next read yet?

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Great show and congrats IceLord!
Also, congrats on the Twit show V! I'm a short two hour drive from the brick house and would love to come to the first show, how does one get tickets?!?!

message 15: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Tamahome wrote: "Why isn't S&L on the Twit network? "

Because it started on Frogpants before Tom came over from CNET?

message 16: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Great show as usual, and congrats to Icelord.

Also congrats on the new shows, I look forward to both, plus lots of TF2 - TWiT needs a server.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, does it just contain a wrap up of RP1, and not Reamde? because I'm still chipping away on the later.

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments Andrew wrote: "Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, does it just contain a wrap up of RP1, and not Reamde? because I'm still chipping away on the later."

It's mostly if not only an RP1 wrap-up. I think Reamde wasn't even discussed, so you're safe.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Anne wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, does it just contain a wrap up of RP1, and not Reamde? because I'm still chipping away on the later."

It's mostly if not only an RP1 wrap..."

Good to know. Thanks Anne. Been stuck on the last 20% of Reamde for awhile now. Need to carve out some time and wrap it up.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments I just got my copy of 1Q84 in the mail, and it has soft pages AND a translucent cover, stunning. Can we make this our next pick since we'll all be reading it anyway? ;)

P.S. I do not steal candy from children. ;) I bake things and give them away, sometimes in costume. I'm like the good-witch version of the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Jenny wrote: "I just got my copy of 1Q84 in the mail, and it has soft pages AND a translucent cover, stunning. Can we make this our next pick since we'll all be reading it anyway? ;)"

Seconded. Veronica, why trouble yourself with a second book on top of this mammoth work of literature? Make your life easier.

message 22: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I just got my copy of 1Q84 in the mail, and it has soft pages AND a translucent cover, stunning. Can we make this our next pick since we'll all be reading it anyway? ;)"

Seconded. V..."

Hmm... I like how you people think.

message 23: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments 944 pages! I'm going to have to start lifting more weights if I want to keep reading along with S&L. Anyway I'm one of the few people on the planet that keeps putting off reading the original 1984 (I'm paranoid enough already). Is 1984 considered a prerequisite to 1Q84?

message 24: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6113 comments Just read part one. It was a trilogy in Japan anyway. :)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Sean wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I just got my copy of 1Q84 in the mail, and it has soft pages AND a translucent cover, stunning. Can we make this our next pick since we'll all be reading it anyway? ;)"

Seconded. V..."

thirded, (I know it's not a word. But it's been a long day and I'm tired) sounds interesting, lets read. I want V to turn into popeye. ;)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Looks like they're on Kindle.

message 27: by aldenoneil (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jenny wrote: "P.S. I do not steal candy ..."

Jenny, have you seen this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/docpopul...

Also, fourthed.

message 28: by Icelord (new)

Icelord | 35 comments Veronica wrote: "Sorry about the delay!

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

And congrats to Icelord!"

Thanks Veronica! Two days down and about 6k words into the story so far...

Why did I choose to do this with the year-end work ramp-up beginning and an Economics final and group project coming up the week of Thanksgiving? LOL...

message 29: by JP (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments so, we're basing our next read on the book's cover texture and pages?

IQ84 is $15 on kindle? :\ that's less than a dollar than the hard cover.

message 30: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments John Paul wrote: "so, we're basing our next read on the book's cover texture and pages?

IQ84 is $15 on kindle? :\ that's less than a dollar than the hard cover."

I was thinking we shouldn't read it based on how much it weighs, I guess that's not an issue with an ereader.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Jenny wrote: "P.S. I do not steal candy ..."

Jenny, have you seen this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/docpopul...

Also, fourthed."

!!! That's amazing.

Also, a Kindle does get heavier with books on it.

message 33: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Would you guys please stop copying each other? :)

message 34: by Boots (last edited Nov 03, 2011 02:53PM) (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Tamahome wrote: "Or maybe it is. http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/..."

That's bizarre.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments terpkristin wrote: "Would you guys please stop copying each other? :)"

*MIND MELD*

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments You guys are very confusing lately.

message 37: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments i miss the days when we used to vote on books. the group has gotten a little heavy handed

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Voting is such an outdated concept.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2836 comments We used to vote on books? I thought it was a dictatorship!

message 40: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Back in the Ning days it was more common. We've done it a few times since moving to GR. Less frequently.

That all said, though I'll join in if we read 1Q84, I was really hoping we'd get to an old-school type fantasy book and do a Tad Williams book...I kinda feel like we were promised one after the interview. ;)

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments terpkristin wrote: "Back in the Ning days it was more common. We've done it a few times since moving to GR. Less frequently.

That all said, though I'll join in if we read 1Q84, I was really hoping we'..."

I have been meaning to reread memory sorrow and thorn.

message 42: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Brad wrote: "i miss the days when we used to vote on books. the group has gotten a little heavy handed"

Most of the votes came about because someone posted a "What should we read next" thread and T&V decided to humor us pixel-stained techno-serfs.

message 43: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Sean wrote: "us pixel-stained techno-serfs."

You need to pour liquid crystal on pixel-spills while it's still wet otherwise they never come out.

message 44: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Ok caught up. Another good episode, and it was fun to hear Sean.

I'm cool with 1Q84. I looked at the eBooks and it appears as two books - one with part 1 & 2 and the other part 3. Is ths how it appears for others? For the record Kobobooks also sell it, and it was cheaper than Kindle, so an option for those not locked into the Amazon ecosystem.

All that said shouldn't it be time for some sword?

message 45: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Stenger | 16 comments Reading through the reviews on Amazon I have to say I'm not really crazy about reading 1Q84. Even discounting the ones that are 1 star for the extreme DRM restrictions, there are others that describe it as "a short story stretched over 900 pages" and the last 200 pages as "a tedious slog." That's a little too on the mark for how I felt about Reamde to get me interested.

message 46: by JP (new)

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments yes.. i refuse to read anything that is over 500 pages long. :)

message 47: by toria (vikz writes) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Brad wrote: "i miss the days when we used to vote on books. the group has gotten a little heavy handed"

If were going to vote. We need something else. There's seems to be something missing. Oh, that's right other suggestions. :) Hint, we've been reading a lot of weighty, newly published works, perhaps it might to nice to read a slimmer book this time. Maybe, it might be nice to read a classic of the genre. Or, may be it might be nice to read something mentioned on sword and laser author thread
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 48: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments John Paul wrote: "yes.. i refuse to read anything that is over 500 pages long. :)"
So no Harry Potter books for you then eh? Well, maybe the first two or three.

message 49: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments There's also the issue of it being a new book, so paying new book prices. We just did 2 new books, which I know turned off some.

Eh, I'll most likely read whatever is selected next. I'm on a reading binge lately.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Maybe, we could read something from the masterworks series.

« previous 1