Stephen King Fans discussion

Nightmares & Dreamscapes
This topic is about Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Short Stories & Collections > Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) HI all,
It's that time again!

No Spoilers allowed in this thread, so be sure to keep it clean. No discussion of plot or meaning or symbolism etc... :)

Enjoy! There are a lot of stories in this collection, and all are great. :D

message 2: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Anyone started yet?

I'm a little more than halfway. I know, you're like "Wow, he reads like a speed demon!"

The opposite is true. I've been working on it for about two months. I can read faster, but with it being a collection, I've found myself distracted by shiny things easily in between stories.

That said, this is a fun collection.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) SHINY!

Scott | 401 comments Too bad the TV series isn't on while you guys do the read.

I saw a few of the episodes when they were originally on.

message 5: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna (donnaenden) | 53 comments I thought I had this book of short stories was so excited that I had the book for the book of the month read and I went to get it out last night and realized it wasn't nightmare and dreamscapes but the other one 4 past midnight. Shucks :P

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 219 comments I just a got a copy in paperback, so I will read then, join in on the discussion sometime this month.

message 7: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
I liked the TV series a lot. I thought they did a real good job of portraying the stories.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I've actually never seen it, but I do have it on DVD.

message 9: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments I just started last night and have only made it in about twenty pages. Thus far, I'm completely captivated. This is only my second King read. The first being Under the Dome. Although, now I think of it, I did read his Autopsy short story so if I count that one story (rather than the whole collection of stories it is included within) then this is my third King read.

I'm a little concerned I'll get spooked out by reading King, which is, of course, half the fun. I fear, though, it may make sleep a bit interesting. Ah well, if all else fails I do as a near friend suggested...

"Oh, Krista. Just put it in the freezer when it freaks you out. It can get out of there." :o)

Looking forward to sharing this read with you!

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Joey Tribiani trick. ;)

DAISY DISNEY | 15 comments Krista "Nayana" wrote: "I just started last night and have only made it in about twenty pages. Thus far, I'm completely captivated. This is only my second King read. The first being Under the Dome. Although, now I thi..."

I jus started yesterday too.. Didn't make it too far I think we are on the same story. His intro to the book on weird things got me excited on what's to come!

message 12: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Agreed, Daisy! The intro definitely pulled me in!

message 13: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara | 3 comments so it is now November 21st...is it too late to start reading this one? (I actually have it at home, but have not read it yet... well, I think I started it at some point, but never finished - now that I see it is the book for the month, I guess I will dive in!!)

DAISY DISNEY | 15 comments Tara wrote: "so it is now November 21st...is it too late to start reading this one? (I actually have it at home, but have not read it yet... well, I think I started it at some point, but never finished - now t..."

Tara, I just started this week too and I am afraid I wont finish it by the end of the week.Especially with it being the holidays. But I will try! If you start to read it now we will be on the same boat so join me lol

message 15: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Looks like at least the three of us (Tara, Daisy, and I) will be continuing discussions into December. :o)

message 16: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Our discussions last forever... so anytime you want to comment on something feel free to do it!

Kerilotion | 4 comments I'm enjoying it and I netflix'd the series. I was so impressed with the 'Battlefield' episode. (i think it was in Night Shift. I don't remember reading it).

My fav in N&D has been 'Umney's..." I am working on 'Head Down' and having a hard time with it. I was also creeped the hell out by 'Rainy Season' but only b/c it takes place on my birthday. WTH?! lol

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm watching the series in bits and pieces with my fiance. I didn't like Crouch End on the show at all it was way tamer than the story. Thus far "The Road Virus Heads North" and 'The End of the Whole Mess" have been the best episodes.

Kerilotion | 4 comments agree on 'Crouch End'!

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Kerilotion wrote: "agree on 'Crouch End'!"

I think it missed the point entirely and never did get the right atmosphere going. The story was damned creepy while the episode was just confusing and random.

Kerilotion | 4 comments lol definitely. my b/f hadn't read it and a couple times during the episode, he looked over at me and said.. ohhhhhhh k now, what the hell is going on?! lol

DAISY DISNEY | 15 comments I will definately not be finishing this by the end of the month... Ill be discussing more in December.

message 23: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Progress is slow, but I've made it through another three stories this evening. Thus far I've finished:

Intro
Dolan's Cadillac (of course, now I keep seeing blue Cadis everywhere!)
The End of the Whole Mess
Suffer the Little Children
The Night Flier
Popsy
It Grows on You

Kelsey (klpurcell) Did anyone else have any trouble with Dedication? I just can't get through the story.

Clifton | 40 comments Its title is "The End of the Whole Mess." It is in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Daniel Thackeray My favourite story is 'The House On Maple Street'. Can't remember my least favourite but wasn't too keen on 'Chattery Teeth'.

Marie | 52 comments I actually just bought this book off amazon a couple or so weeks ago as they had it on sale for $4.99, so I grabbed it. I just started reading it last night.

mrbooks | 1469 comments Marie you will love it.

Marie | 52 comments I finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I really loved it!

See my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by Jen_Ken (new) - added it

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Marie wrote: "I finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I really loved it!

Nice review...IT's on my to read list..so many books so little time...

message 31: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Marie wrote: "I finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I really loved it!

See my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thanks. I'll dive back into it and read the ones you recommend.

Marie | 52 comments Nick wrote: "Marie wrote: "I finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I really loved it!

See my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Thanks...."

You are welcome, Nick! :) I would be interested to know your opinion after you read the stories. :)

message 33: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 3975 comments Marie wrote: "Nick wrote: "Marie wrote: "I finished Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I really loved it!

See my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

I'll post a review.