Lush Library discussion

Lists > Top 10 Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
I found this list on the guardian site last night http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/gal... interesting reading - what do you think?

message 2: by Soupy (new)

Soupy | 15 comments I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone got any graphic novel recommendations? I'd love to try some but have got no idea where to start!

I'm quite tempted by Blankets and Habibi (which looks beautiful!) - has anyone read either of them? Would you recommend them for a graphic novel newbie?

message 3: by bookishbat (last edited May 03, 2012 12:39AM) (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I've read Habibi, the story was not quite to my taste, but the gorgeous artwork more than made up for that, so I would still definitely recommend it.
Blankets I haven't read (yet), but the author's first book, Good-Bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson Good-Bye, Chunky Rice is also very beautifully crafted and has a sweet story, too.

Really I'm quite a newbie myself, but I've been interested in the genre for a while.
I can very much recommend The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, but that's a classic now, so I'm sure you've heard of it.
The same goes for The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman Sandman, by Neil Gaiman.
I've also really enjoyed Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel Fun Home by Alison Bechdel about her difficult relationship with her father.

If you are at all interested in the theory of graphic novels and comics, you should definitely try Understanding Comics The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, I did and it was very interesting, yet entertaining.

message 4: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I just remembered: I while ago I asked this very question on the lush forum. I dug out the thread for you, you might find some more ideas there.

http://forum.lush.co.uk/Forum/viewtop...

message 5: by Soupy (last edited May 04, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

Soupy | 15 comments Thanks morgaine, that's really helpful - I wouldn't have thought of looking on the IF! Sandman, Persepolis and Fun Home are going on my wishlist.

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth seems to get great reviews, too, so that's another one for my list!

message 6: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I'm glad I could help. (with things like recommendations I really like asking the forum, there are so many different people on there you tend to get some great and very varied results)

I will definitely be checking out Jimmy Corrigan, I hadn't heard of that one before.

to add a book/author/cover link you just have to click on "add book/author" which is located just above the box you post your comment in. you can either use the book or author tab and on the pop-up you will also find the option for link or cover.

message 7: by Soupy (new)

Soupy | 15 comments Aha, thank you (again)! I'd been given some money as a gift so Habibi and Jimmy Corrigan are on their way to me, as well as Ethel and Ernest after I liked the look of the 'look inside' pages on Amazon. I'm excited!

message 8: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I've got Ethel and Ernest, too! I'm a huge Raymon Briggs fan and bought this recently, but it's still on me to-be-read pile.

Neil Gaiman did an interview on his reading habits with the NYT and he mentions some graphic novels, too. maybe you'll find something interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/boo...

message 9: by Soupy (new)

Soupy | 15 comments Habibi arrived yesterday! I forgot to mention I'd got Blankets with some vouchers as well and that arrived yesterday, too so I started reading it last night and am really enjoying it so far.

There's something quite relaxing about them, isn't there? They would have been ideal for me over the last year or so when my concentration was really poor.

I can see it's going to be an expensive hobby, though - I've added a few from that article to my list and am lusting over The Sandman quite a lot. Is it worth the expense? It looks right up my street but I don't think I've ever spent that much on a book before!

message 10: by bookishbat (last edited May 10, 2012 01:34PM) (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I find reading graphic novels and comics a completely different experience to reading a novel. in a way it's lighter reading, since there is much less actual text, but I do feel I have to concentrate more on some level, or go over the page a second time, for fear of missing something. that was especially the case with Habibi for me, often the artwork was so intricate that "reading" a page took me much, much longer than if it had been solid with text. but yes, it can be very soothing, it's just a completely different medium for storytelling, I love it.

do you mean the Absolute Sandman edition? I have volumes 1 and 2 so far, because I've always waited until they were available over amazon.uk and not some other seller and I paid between £40 and £45 for each. so yes, still not cheap, but they are gorgeous, huge hardcovers in a nice slipcase and apparently (but I wouldn't know, because I've never read another version) they are partly re-coloured and there are some extra bits in there as well. sort of like a special edition dvd.
there are some paperback collections available as well, for around £10.
for me it was worth the expense to get the absolute edition. the only downside is that they're not exactly portable, since the individual volumes are rather big and with around 600 pages they're quite heavy, too.

I'll be interested to read what you think of Habibi, and Blankets too. the latter is on my amazon birthday wishlist, fingers crossed, I might have my own copy soon.

message 11: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments the amazing Neil has posted some Sandman news on his journal/blog!

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/07...

message 12: by Soupy (new)

Soupy | 15 comments Sorry for rudely not responding, morgaine! I found a notification in my junk email a week or so ago, so I don't why (or when) they started going in there!

I haven't read Habibi yet but I can see what you mean about the intricacy of the artwork. I enjoyed Blankets and found it quite atmospheric - the artwork of the landscapes did really seem to evoke a cold loneliness, more than I expected it to - but I think I possibly found it a little bit too angsty in places, which sounds mean, I know... I started reading Jimmy Corrigan as well and had to take a break from it halfway through because it was so intense! Intense in a good way, but the pages just seem to have bleakness pouring out of them. I'll definitely go back to it, though.

Absolute Sandman is going on my Christmas list! I don't know if you've seen any of Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon's stuff but some of their artwork looks beautiful, and I think they're with the same publisher as the Sandman series. I like the look of Daytripper, in particular. I just wish I had the funds to fuel the habit! Have you read any good 'uns lately?

message 13: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments no worries, Soupy.

I haven't read any new ones recently, but I still have a few in my tbr-pile. they will have to wait a little, since recently I've not been reading all that much anyway and tomorrow I'm off to Copenhagen for a few days.