Goodreads Ireland discussion

A Long Long Way (Dunne Family #3)
This topic is about A Long Long Way
Previous Quarterly Reads > November-January Quarterly Read Nominations: A Long Long Way

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the thread for those readers participating in the Novenber-January Quarterly read.

message 2: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo | 81 comments I haven't read anything else by Barry before. I'm about halfway through this novel, and I have to say that his writing absolutely takes my breath away. It's just gorgeous in its simplicity. I can't wait to finish this so I can read another of his works.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

His characters are so real, I feel like I've met them. I really feel for Willy Dunne. He's a deep soul surrounded by mayhem, in Dublin and France. His relationship with his father is gripping. Very moving.

Laura | 258 comments I finished the book on a recent trip. Barry is now one of my favorite writers. The book was so tragically beautiful. I had never read a book about the details of WW1. So, so horrible. My grandfather was in it and was gassed but my mom said he never talked about it.
Barry knows how to develop a story, write beautifully - and he knows people. There is almost an other worldly quality to his writing. I read his Secret Scripture as well and loved that. Now his other books are on my list.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my favourite Barry novel. Two scenes stick out in my mind more than any others. (view spoiler)

Laura | 258 comments Declan wrote: "This is my favourite Barry novel. Two scenes stick out in my mind more than any others. [spoilers removed]"

How do you make sure something is included under 'spoiler"

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 22, 2011 09:04PM) (new)

put at the front of what you want to say and then put it at the end with a forward slash. like .

Spoiler is deliberately misspelled so as not to actually post a spoiler. The first one starts the command and the second one stops it so you can write more stuff after the spoiler alert. There is a list of other commands in the '(some html is ok)' above the comment box.

message 8: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo | 81 comments I can't say enough wonderful things about this book. I think Barry is my new favorite author as well. I've asked for everything else he's written for Christmas. I may have to reread this one again since I'm not sure if I can wait that long! His writing struck me as so simple, yet so moving and powerful. I think I wore my highlighter out on this one!

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2011 06:34AM) (new)

I'm in total agreement with you, Mo. There's much more here than prose. (view spoiler) I was completely won over by this book.

message 10: by J.S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 335 comments Read it a few months ago, and shall probably remember it longer than any other novel of Ireland's involvement in WWI.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's also the first novel that I've ever read about an Irish unionist family during WWI.

Laura | 258 comments and a Catholic unionist family! I never would have thought. What is so great about this book club and in particular this book is that I am coming to realize how very complex Irish history is.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "and a Catholic unionist family! I never would have thought. What is so great about this book club and in particular this book is that I am coming to realize how very complex Irish history is."

Every so often we get stories about how much the Irish Civil War devastated Nationalist and Republican families, such as The Wind That Shakes the Barley, but this was the first time that I read about the effect that the War of Independence had on Unionist families. It stands to reason that it was equally destructive. The most that I've read about this, before, was one line in A Star Called Henry, where one of Henry's friends in the Irish Citizens Army informs them that he never told his wife he was leaving for the GPO because she was a Unionist.

message 14: by Laura (last edited Dec 14, 2011 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 258 comments Last night I went to a Christmas concert and a heard a beautiful rendition of Silent Night. It brought me right back to Willie and the haunting ending scene. When Willie joined the young German soldier to sing Silent Night I think he was longing to enter that silent night of calm and peace. -So much of his young naive life had been stolen from him -He had experienced the horror and trauma of a very personal war -What was left? He had to have known that he would be targeted when he stood up to sing. Sleep in heavenly peace Willie....

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Last night I went to a Christmas concert and a heard a beautiful rendition of Silent Night. It brought me right back to Willie and the haunting ending scene. When Willie joined the young German s..."

Beautiful sentiments, Laura.