Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2011 > Falling Together Discussion-Nov '11

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2481 comments Mod
Read & Discuss....and please remember to preface your comments with how far along you are in the book

message 2: by De Ann (new)

De Ann | 17 comments --Finished
I really like this author and have read all of her books. I find her characters so well developed and realistic. Pen and Will became favorite characters. I think Cat could have been developed more, but perhaps that was all part of the writer's plan. This book made me think about some of my college friendships.

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I finished this book a few weeks ago. It was good - not as great as her other two books but it was still good. I didn't think the characters were has well developed as the characters were in Loved Walked In and Belong to Me and so was a bit disappointed in this book especially because I was so eagerly anticipating it. But definitely an enjoyable read and I hope you all enjoy it!

message 4: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2481 comments Mod
chapter 3
I was at the library last night picking up The Red Tent, and happened to see this in audio so I picked it up. I've never done an audio book before.
I don't know if it's me or what, but I am having a tough time getting into it. Maybe I'm just not used to hearing a book read? Now I do have to focus on driving while it's on, so maybe part of it is that I'm not necessarily hanging on every word, but either the book itself or the reader sound incredibly pretentious, yet simplistic. If that makes any sense at all? Very simple, short, choppy sentences, yet they're talking about eating fancy french food and using words I've never heard of before. I will stick with it, afterall I'm only on chapter 3, and I want to know what happened among the 3 of them and why Pen is hesitant about the reunion.

message 5: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 6879 comments Finished. Read this also a few weeks ago and while I did like Will and Pen, and thought the little girl was a hoot, I did not like Cat at all. Found her to be very self absorbed.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 25 comments I too was really looking forward to this one and yet it took me almost a month to read it. It was fine but I just wasn't compelled to get back to it. Could be that I read this on the heels of Still Alice by Lisa Genova and The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka both of which haunted me afterwards.

Ultimately it's a book where the characters each show admirable and less admirable sides making them more human than many other books and I'm happy I visited with them.

message 7: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

♥ Sandi ❣	 | 11805 comments Mod
Deb wrote: "chapter 3
I was at the library last night picking up The Red Tent, and happened to see this in audio so I picked it up. I've never done an audio book before.
I don't know if it's me or what, but ..."

Deb, I just received this book, so haven't started it yet, as I am starting Henreietta Lack tonight, but I am not a fan of audio books. I have tried them a number of times and my mind just drifts away - even with a really good narrator. I thought my problem was because I was driving - the first one I tried I was alone, except for my dog, and on a trip to North Carolina - about 13 to 15 hours for me. I had to keep rewinding it, cause my mind would just drift away and when I realized it I had lost up to 15 minutes of the book. Thought it was maybe just my mood, so tried another one on a trip to New York - almost a 24 hour drive - but the same thing happened. So I thought I just couldn't conscentrate while driving and tried another one at home - no other distractions....yep you guessed it - my mind drifted again. Guess if I am not actively reading I just can't keep my mind on listening...LOL !!! I hope that you get thru this audio book, with enough story intact to enjoy it. Good luck - let us know.

I am going to quit reading this thread now until I at least start Falling Together - don't want to draw any further conclusions, until I read it myself.

message 8: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Bollinger (MBoll) | 197 comments Deb wrote: "chapter 3
I don't know if it's me or what, but ..."

I am having a difficult time getting into it, also. I am hoping it will hook me soon.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 429 comments Malinda wrote: "Deb wrote: "chapter 3
I don't know if it's me or ..."
I'm only on page 40 and I'm also having a hard time getting into it. All of the switching back and forth between "then" and "now" is confusing, esp. so early in the book when I don't know the characters! Hoping it gets better...

message 10: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 6879 comments I agree, this is probably my least favorite of her books and it did start slowly, however, I did end up liking Will and Pen and also Pen's little daughter.

message 11: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2481 comments Mod
I have to ask: in the book does the author write "what the cluck" or "the clucking _____" or is it just because I have the audio version that they don't say the F word?

message 12: by Maureen (last edited Nov 09, 2011 06:22PM) (new)

Maureen Deb wrote: "I have to ask: in the book does the author write "what the cluck" or "the clucking _____" or is it just because I have the audio version that they don't say the F word?"

No she says clucking and what the cluck in the book too:)

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 429 comments Maureen wrote: "Deb wrote: "I have to ask: in the book does the author write "what the cluck" or "the clucking _____" or is it just because I have the audio version that they don't say the F word?"

No she says cl..."

She also says "who gives a nit."

message 14: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Okay girls starting this one tonight. I have to fly to Atlanta on the 16th and will probably take this one with me. Coming home very late the night of the 17th -so we will see just how much reading I am able to do. I would love to have this book done by then and take a fresh book with me ( which I may do anyway). I think The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern will be next....

message 15: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 146 comments I just started this book today. I Hope it is wonderful!!

message 16: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2481 comments Mod
I first heard the real F word in chapter 11 I think it was :)

message 17: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

Malinda wrote: "Deb wrote: "chapter 3
I don't know if it's me or ..."

Chapter 7...possible spoiler

Malinda, I am also having a devil of a time getting into this book. It seems to be so bland compared to the last book I read - I don't try to compare books that way. especially when I switch genre, but geezz - really having a hard time with this one. It has not kept me interest well enough to wonder what happens next. The type book that you have a hard time picking back up ! I just about quit it when one of the chapters started off about Pen reading a childs book. This one reminds me of the one we read a few months ago - which I was also not wild about - can't even remember the name - the one about the 4 college girls getting back to gether. That one finally wrapped up in the last 25 pages or so...the one about the "Beach".

I do not think I will get thru this prior to my trip Wednesday and I don't think I want to take this book with me - I would be asleep on the flight...LOL !!! Having just read a really good book, and knowing that the next book I plan to read is also highly rated, I have my fingers crossed that I will make it thru this one.

message 18: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (last edited Nov 12, 2011 03:42PM) (new)

Deb wrote: "I first heard the real F word in chapter 11 I think it was :)"

Hey Deb...How is it going with the audio book?

Hope I make it to chapter 11 and F bomb...LOL !!!

message 19: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Can't do it! Have to put this book down - at least for awhile. I can try to finish it before the month is over...but no guarentee!
When I start a book that I don't care if I pick back up and I find that I am by-passing reading time and doing other busy work instead, it is time to put it away. Could just be me - have a lot going on right now but when I have the time I need a read that keeps me moving and entertained - not placated and waiting for something -anything - to happen. So....it is on to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - cause from what I have heard, this book should keep me on my toes.

message 20: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Bollinger (MBoll) | 197 comments Sandi wrote: "Can't do it! Have to put this book down - at least for awhile. I can try to finish it before the month is over...but no guarentee!
When I start a book that I don't care if I pick back up and I fi..."

I am right there with you. I have had to push myself through the first 100 pages and just quit last night. I could not get into the characters and storyline.

message 21: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Bollinger (MBoll) | 197 comments Sandi wrote: "Okay girls starting this one tonight. I have to fly to Atlanta on the 16th and will probably take this one with me. Coming home very late the night of the 17th -so we will see just how much reading..."

Looking forward to see what you think about it!

message 22: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 6879 comments Sandi wrote: "Can't do it! Have to put this book down - at least for awhile. I can try to finish it before the month is over...but no guarentee!
When I start a book that I don't care if I pick back up and I fi..."

Think you will love it!

message 23: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 146 comments I am just starting Chapter 7. I am intrigued to see what happenend to their friendshop. so far I am really enjoying this as a "light" read. I just finished reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom Kitchen House which was fantastic but intense.

message 24: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2481 comments Mod
chapter 13?
after hearing the F bomb in the previous chapter, I heard today "holy cluck".
and now I'm confused with what is going on w/ Margaret, did she meet some random named Rene in the airport, change her ticket and fly off with him? But she's in love with Mark whats-his-name? I feel like I missed something along the way, tried to rewind to figure it out but still couldn't.
I really don't know about this audio thing. At least in a book I can flip back easily and figure things out. I think I'm getting most of what's going on but I know I'm missing some stuff too.

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 429 comments I'm on chapter 9 and just started to get into the story! I hope things pick up a bit more after the 3 friends have reunited.

message 26: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Deb wrote: "chapter 13?
after hearing the F bomb in the previous chapter, I heard today "holy cluck".
and now I'm confused with what is going on w/ Margaret, did she meet some random named Rene in the airpo..."

Yep...Deb one of my concerns with an audio book too. But I usually just zone out and have to rewind it way back and start again. Nothing like that book in your hands! I even have the same problem of losing some things with my Kindle, but not like an audio book. To back up and research something on your Kindle is really a chore too!

message 27: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Diane wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Can't do it! Have to put this book down - at least for awhile. I can try to finish it before the month is over...but no guarentee!
When I start a book that I don't care if I pick bac..."

Gonna take Night Circus on my trip tomorrow. Not sure just how much time I will have to read, but intend to get some of it read if only on my flight back and forth. I will check in on Friday and let you know how I am liking it.

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 429 comments I (finally!) finished this book this morning. I have mixed feelings about it. At times I enjoyed it (the flashbacks to college, the travel descriptions), other times I was annoyed (too much witty banter in the dialogue) and at other times I found the story hard to believe (would Cat really leave to find her family without telling Jason the reason? would they really find Cat walking on the beach?). I also thought the changes to Pen and Will's feelings for Jason were not believable (especially when traveling- at a high stress time!)
Overall I gave it 3 stars (I gave her other books 4). I'm ready to move onto something else that will keep my attention.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 237 comments Finished. I really liked it. Unlike one of the other posts, I really enjoyed the dialog and both Pen and Will's inner dialog. I found it very real...maybe bc they're both pretty sarcastic and always joking around with each other and I really chuckled a few times. Was it realistic...perhaps not buy I don't care as long as I find it enjoyable. :)

Spoilers And to be honest, and I'm risking sounding like a real sap here, the end made me tear up. I like a happy ending and I felt like the love between them was palpable there at the end. It was so emotional. I was mad at Pen for overreacting and walking away and "felt" how stressed that fight was and I just wanted to shake her and tell her to snap out of it. And then she does, and there he is, waiting. :)

message 30: by LindaW (new)

LindaW | 945 comments Finished this last week. Although the story seemed to take a long time to unfold, I ended up really liking this book. Will and Pen also took forever to realize that they were meant for each other, but the renewal of their friendship was written well and was full of twists and turns. They had to figure out how to be just two without the third member, Cat. The search for Cat gave them time to love each other for the people they had become in the six years they had been apart. I haven't read any of de los Santos' other books, but her writing is so lovely that I would like to try another one - maybe Belong to Me. Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos

message 31: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Have decided that I will not be reading this book. I tried to pick it up again and I just could not get interested in it or the people. So...off to a back book shelf and maybe someday I will want to pick it back up....???

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 429 comments Sandi- Have you read her other books? I enjoyed those 2 much more than this one.

message 33: by ♥ Sandi ❣ , Me! ~~ on a good day (new)

Teresa wrote: "Sandi- Have you read her other books? I enjoyed those 2 much more than this one."

Teresa, I do have the other books, but have not read them. I actually gave a report on her in a literature class for my Masters.We were given the names of various authors to research and report on - I chose her and Esmeralda Santiago. That was my first introduction to her.

I just could not get into this book - not the characters or the story. I think it just lagged - I did not find any reasons to push me on. And once I find I don't want to pick the book up all the time - even while I am doing dishes I want to read instead - when I am doing housework or riding in the car....this book produced none of that. Way too many other good books out there to force myself to plod thru a book that I am not enjoying. There once was a time I would have forced myself thru it - not any more...LOL !!

message 34: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 6879 comments I think her first two books were better also. I also know when you read a book by an author and you don't like it you are wary to try another.

message 35: by ✿Sandra (new)

✿Sandra | 2980 comments Diane wrote: "I think her first two books were better also. I also know when you read a book by an author and you don't like it you are wary to try another."

I had a library copy of this book, but I ended up returning it without reading it. I still haven't decided if I will check it out again in the future. I have looked at Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos and Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos in book stores many times, but I have never read either. I remember thinking they both looked good. Diane, do you think they were equally good, or does one stand out more than the other one? I would like to give one of them a try.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wolfewoman) | 110 comments Finished. I liked it ok, gave it 3 stars. It kept my interest more than others here. :.) It also reminded me of Beach Trip, although I think I liked this one better. It had a lot of coincidences with the plot that I wasn't too sure of but I did wind up liking the characters. I will probably wind up reading her other two books eventually since others thought they were good, but I don't have the urge to run out to the bookstore to pick them up.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Buddha in the Attic (other topics)
Still Alice (other topics)
The Night Circus (other topics)
The Kitchen House (other topics)
Belong to Me (other topics)
More...