YA LGBT Books discussion

Unnatural (Archangel Academy, #1)
This topic is about Unnatural
Book of the Month > November 2011 Book of the Month - **Unnatural by Michael Griffo**

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juli (new)

Juli (mrsmarit) | 161 comments Here we can discuss the book of the month Unnatural by Michael Griffo.

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Have people read this yet?? O_o (for the first time ever we have a book that I was able to get BEFORE the end of the month - ok so I got/read it ages ago!!)

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) I keep forgetting about it and have been picking up other books to start. And that's when I feel like reading. I have been in an anti-reading mood lately. >.< Hopefully it will pass soon.

message 4: by Kitty (new) - added it

Kitty (kittyorell) I just barely bought it, like an hour ago. I plan to start it tonight, or maybe Monday

message 5: by Sammy Goode (last edited Nov 06, 2011 07:47PM) (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Am reading it later this week--reading Nick Chivers Witch Hunt by Nick Chivers right now.

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I'm about to start Unwelcome.. so hurry up and read Unnatural hehehe It's the first time I've actually had a book of the month READ..

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments I read Unnatural a couple weeks before I knew it would be the book of the month. I haven't gotten to unwelcome as yet.

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Sammy is that YA the Nick Chivers?

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments hehehe well maybe you and I should sit down Yvonne and have a natter....

Did you like it?? (may haps I should go read your review.. *G* )

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments I'm trying to figure out how to link to my review. It wasn't very long as I was trying to not give away spoilers. I did like though.

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments Oh by the way, what's a natter?

message 12: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Byron wrote: "Sammy is that YA the Nick Chivers?"

No--but a good read thus far--about 25% done--no sex thus far--good action and a bit of mystery. I like it!

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments *LOL* sorry Yvonne.. a natter is just chatting away, but in a not to serious manner.. (I'm going to guess that it's a UK/Aust word)..

natter [ˈnætə] Chiefly Brit
vb
(intr) to talk idly and at length; chatter or gossip
n
prolonged idle chatter or gossip
[changed from gnatter to grumble, of imitative origin; compare Low German gnatteren]
natterer n

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments Haha. I'll have to use that on my English brother in law and see what he says.

My review:
Unnatural Review

message 15: by Myka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I read this last month and LOVED it. It's my favorite book so far this year.

Here's my review.

I'll hopefully start reading Unwelcome next week.

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Hey Myka... Same here... And just started Unwelcome... so far so good..

message 17: by Myka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Byron wrote: "Hey Myka... Same here... And just started Unwelcome... so far so good.."

I just need to finish Crossed first because there's like 50 people on the waiting list for it at the library, while I can renew Unwelcome :P Maybe we can make a thread to talk about Unwelcome too :)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Ahhh Yes... best not to incur horrid late fee's or bans at the local library...

message 19: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Doggone it--have to read this book--next----next! Myka--did your survey!

message 20: by Myka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Byron wrote: "Ahhh Yes... best not to incur horrid late fee's or bans at the local library..."
Indeed!

Sammy2006 wrote: "Doggone it--have to read this book--next----next! Myka--did your survey!"
Thank you! :)

message 21: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments I am late. I just bought it. Looks interesting! :)

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) I recently read this book. While I found the story quite intriguing, the multiple head-hopping/point of view shifts within scenes were a little jarring at times.

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I've noticed this in quite a few books lately. Head hopping is a good name for it... Indeedy do!!! hehehe

message 24: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Yes, been reading it last night. It's a little hard to get through!

message 25: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed with this book so far, both the plot and the writing... And it's traditionally published. I thought that publishers and editors ensured a higher level of quality (than self publishing that is...)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments If I'm comparing it to other popular YA books like The Hunger Games or a Stephanie Meyer book, all traditionally published, I'm really not seeing a huge difference in quality of writing or plot.

message 27: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Well, I haven't read yet the Hunger Games, but if it's so bad... *cringe* But I was actually comparing it to self published ones, because everyone is saying their quality is much worse.

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments I've only read a few self published books so I can't compare. But I actually like all three books I mentioned. This one just didn't stand out as all that dreadful to me and I found it entertaining. But everyone has different tastes, right.

message 29: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments So you liked Unnatural? It's not that I have given up hope yet, sometimes the first part of the book can be disappointing. But I really think that the editor who worked on the book should have helped the author make the writing better - and the italics. the formatting, should have been done carefully and not like this...

message 30: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) Chrystalla wrote: "So you liked Unnatural? It's not that I have given up hope yet, sometimes the first part of the book can be disappointing. But I really think that the editor who worked on the book should have help..."

I agree with you, Chrystalla! And I also think there's no way the quality of the writing of this book is in the same league as The Hunger Games!

message 31: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Oh good, because i was looking forward to the Hunger Games! :) I bought the book.

message 32: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) Chrystalla wrote: "Oh good, because i was looking forward to the Hunger Games! :) I bought the book."

Don't worry, Chrystalla, there is no multiple head-hopping in the Hunger Games! ;-)

message 33: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments :)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments Well it's just a difference of opinion. I did happen to like The Hunger Games but I don't consider the writing at a very high level. The ideas were interesting in that one but as my son has pointed out, it's not really something new and he thinks it was copied from others. It's very hard to be original.

I think with Unnatural, I read it as a library book and I enjoyed it. I was not in a super critical place at the time I was reading it. There was a lot of switching of POV but since I had no trouble distinguishing the voices, it was something I got used to quickly. I don't remember issues with italics. I'm not sure what you mean by formatting but if there was a problem, I also didn't notice.

I'm not sure if you'll like it if you continue reading it. As you can see, you do have others who agree with you. What bothers one person sometimes doesn't bother someone else.

message 35: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments I know it's preferences. But with the italics I mean that when you use them for internal thoughts, you take care not to put in italics also what isn't internal thought, like:
Come with me, he thought. Or not.
"he thought" shouldn't be in italics.
Yes, sorry, I tend to be critical of such things. I am giving it a shot, as I said! I rarely leave a book unfinished. :) And I know that the reviews it got are mixed, so some people liked it a lot. :)

message 36: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) Anyone is free to enjoy anything they want to, regardless of quality. God knows there are plenty of "B" movies out there that I enjoy that others don't. Heck, a lot of people enjoy watching Jersey Shore and The Kardashians.

That being said, multiple head-hopping/point of view shifts within a scene is not advisable, as any beginner writing course will point out. If many readers are having difficulty keeping track of whose point of view they are in at the moment, that's an issue, regardless if some people "get it." The key to good writing is to communicate the intent to as broad a group of readers as possible, not a narrow margin.

Also spreading the point of view over so many characters dilutes the power of the narrative and the focus of the story, creating a more scattershot approach. What works in film and t.v., doesn't necessarily translate to books, which is why movie adaptations of books are often not as effective.

That's my take, but what do I know? ;-)

message 37: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments I agree with you, Steven. However, I can overlook head hopping if the characters and the story grab me.
So far they haven't. And I have something against romance where the characters are meant to meet by fate or something similar (at least it looks this way so far, I'll wait and see...)
The Kardashians??? :O

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments I think Steven you know plenty and I agree with you. It just didn't bother me in this book because if I remember correctly, during the narration portion of the book it wasn't done. I noticed it was done during the dialog portion. It's a little odd, not advisable as you said but it didn't cause me to lose track of the story or to be confused. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story. I can see it interfered with yours so that's the difference.

By the way, I don't watch Jersey Shore or the Kardashians either.

message 39: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Drat, now I must find out who Jersey Shore and the Kardashians are... :D

message 40: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Also: I think it's great how we can discuss books like this - the pros and cons and everything. It's great. :)

message 41: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) That being said, I still downloaded the sequel UNWELCOME to my Kindle and will be reading it shortly ;-) There are so few GLBTQ YA books out there that I'm trying to support the genre as much as possible. And there's nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure here and there!

message 42: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Steven, I must read yours! Have you started a thread on the self promotion forum?

message 43: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) Chrystalla wrote: "Steven, I must read yours! Have you started a thread on the self promotion forum?"

Hey Chrystalla, I haven't started the thread for mine yet. Since it doesn't come out until the beginning of 2013, I was wondering if it would be premature to start it now...

message 44: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Ah! :) Why so long time off?

message 45: by Steven (new)

Steven Santos (stevendossantos) Most tradional mainstream publishers like mine take about 1.5 years from the time of the sale to release of the book. Believe me, I'm too thrilled to complain :-) 2012 should be a fun year, with final copy edits, cover art, possible title changes, a book trailer I'm working on, etc. My publisher's marketing campaign will probably kick in in the summer (6 months before the book's release).

At least it's giving me time right now to finish the sequel, which will be released the following year. In the meantime, everyone here is welcome to add the book to their goodreads reading list and join in the book's discussion topics that I'm trying to get off the ground ;-)

message 46: by Chrystalla (new) - added it

Chrystalla | 301 comments Yay for good years then! :)