Reader's Ink discussion

Remarkable Creatures > Question 6. Female Friendship

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
THE LONGSTANDING FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN ELIZABETH PHILPOT AND MARY ANNING (ALBEIT WITH LAPSES) LOOKS AT WOMEN'S FRIENDSHIPS ACROSS CLASS, FORMAL EDUCATION, AND AGE. IS THIS IMPORTANT FROM A FEMINIST VIEWPOINT? DOES THEIR EMERGING "GIRL POWER" STEM FROM THEIR FRIENDSHIP TO SPITE THE PHILOSOPHY AND THE TIME IN WHICH THE NOVEL TAKES PLACE? DOES THIS NEW EMERGING THINKING ABOUT DINOSAURS PARALLEL THE THOUGHTS SURROUNDING THE EMERGING FEMINIST MOVEMENT?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
This friendship was one of the more interesting dynamics of the book to me. To watch the girls as they develop in emotional maturity, as they develop physically and as they learn what attraction to men is and becomes to them. Being there is an age difference, and there is a "class" difference and the girls come to us with different needs, I found myself getting angry at times with Elizabeth as she seems snooty and was willing to throw a lifelong friendship over for some fairly petty reasons. I was so pleased they were able to work through their differences towards the end. Age and maturity had a part to do with that as well.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Miss Philpot and Mary are more similar due to their femaleness than anything else. Remember, althought Miss Philpot has relative class standing and formal education, she is still barred from the Geological Society meeting and must eavesdrop on the landing. She has little more power than Mary. As she says of hiding on the landing at the meeting, "I felt trapped behind a wall of men that separated me from the main event" (p. 266). That statement can extend to nearly every aspect of Miss Philpot's life.

In short, I think Miss Philpot and Mary's combined power has little to do with feminism or changing ideas, and more do with drive and stubbornness. And let's not forget, they are at the mercy of men--clergy, collectors, potential lovers, scholars, scientists--every step of their way.