Reader's Ink discussion

Remarkable Creatures > Question 3. Soothing the Masculine Ego

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
THE GAMES WOMEN MUST PLAY IN ORDER SOOTHE THE MASCULINE EGO REINFORCING MALE HUBRIS DEPRESSES ME. THE PARADOX OF ELIZABETH'S PLAYING THE "GAME" WHILE NOT PLAYING SEEMS INDICATIVE OF THE WAYS OF THE WORLD STILL. AGREE? DISAGREE?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Nov 02, 2011 02:25PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I didn't know what hubris meant, so in case I'm not the only one, the definition is: "the excessive pride and ambition that usually leads to the downfall of a hero in classical tragedy" and "excessive pride or arrogance."

My being out of school since the late 70's is showing, even though I read a lot, perhaps my reading is from different genres. Cheryl, what an interesting idea/question. I've been munching on this since yesterday and yes, soothing the male pride & ego is something we all do at one time or another. What triggered some of my thinking was that how rarely it reverses, and the males brush the feathers of the women. Some do, and do it with great art. Others haven't learned the social skills at all. Elizabeth is a good example of this.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Agreed - but don't we all play versions of that game to some extent? Yes, the primary example in this book was flattering male egos, but wasn't part of Elizabeth's distrust of Colonel Birch based off of his not soothing her own ego? How would the book have differed if he had soothed her ego?

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Well put, Lauren! And Miss Philpots paradoxial game playing reveals her vulnerability, which I liked. A spinster she may be, but she's still human! She was a delightfully complex character.

As Miss Philpot herself says, "A woman's life is always a compromise" (p. 269). Show me a woman--single or married--who hasn't compromised some part of herself with a guy! I actually love that Miss Philpot allowed herself to want Colonel Birch's attention. She would have totally switched places with Mary and done the deed, if given the opportunity. I'm sure of it. :)