Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-11 RINGWORLD: roll call and initial impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're planning to read, are reading, or have read Ringworld by Larry Niven, and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this thread please!

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I have wanted to read this for many years. I'll start this during my recovery from outpatient surgery in a couple of weeks.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I have it on my shelf! Have a couple to read this month but really have been wanting to read this!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Read this one quite a few years ago. Liked it a great deal at the time. But now I'll have to re-read or at least judiciously scan through it in order to be able to comment. I think I'll likely have to read The Ringworld Engineers again as well. Wouldn't want to settle for half measures.:)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I have it! Plan to listen.

message 6: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) I've tried reading this once in the past, many years ago, but didn't finish. At the time, I wasn't much into sci-fi, so it didn't suit me. We will see how the second attempt goes.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I read this when I got a first edtion first printing copy of this book back aound the end of May, so not reading it again, but will join in on the discussion.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Actually starting this today.
Been itching to read this for years

message 9: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I read this one maybe 10-15 years ago, when I was in a phase where I was trying to catch up on SF classics. I remember enjoying it but not really seeing why it's considered such a classic. I may have to give it another try in the future.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 136 comments I've read it a couple of times in the past, along with all the sequels that I know of, so probably won't read along this time but might follow the discussion to see if my memory plays any tricks on me.

Got to admit I quite envy those of you who are getting to read this for the first time, pretty seminal novel and a fun read as well.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I'm glad this book won. I nominated the book to see how people see this has any connections with the video game Halo.

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
Not reading but maybe the discussion will prompt me to add it to my "looking for in used book stores" list.

message 13: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) I started this recently and am enjoying it thus far.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I just started listening and have to ask - is this a comedy? I hope the rest is better than the beginning.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I plan on starting Ringworld today or tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I think a friend recommended it to me last year.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I am having a hard time getting into this.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Ken wrote: "I am having a hard time getting into this."

I did, too, and cut my losses early, :).

message 18: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Maybe I spoke in haste, It finally got interesting.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) I'm still enjoying the story, but find Louis's paternalistic attitude toward Teela to be increasingly frustrating.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments There's too much techno-babble for my taste, but I'm keeping with it. I love the descriptions of the planets.

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Theresa wrote: "I'm still enjoying the story, but find Louis's paternalistic attitude toward Teela to be increasingly frustrating."

Oh yes. I get it. He is 200 years old and she is 20 but its quite annoying

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments I finally started it, and am kicking myself for taking so long....I am very hooked!