Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Been Buying, Been Reading? > Has buying ebooks slowed your buying of physical books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments I love my e readers (yes I have multiple ones) and I take at least one everywhere I go but I find that even with purchasing, literally, hundreds of ebooks I still have a need to go out and get physical books. I love have them on my book shelves and holding them when reading. I even love the hunt of looking for a particular book or the thrill of finding something I've been wanting to read for a while. Anyone else feel the same way?

message 2: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Kindle is a favorite toy right now with the free downloads but already I'm worried because I only have about 130 books on my actual TBR shelves. I'm trying so hard not to spend any money but for the first time in a long time I have room on the shelves for more books!

message 3: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments I still accumulate used paperbacks. I don't have the money to buy many ebooks so I kept a lot of my paperbacks.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Seldon | 2 comments I have just joined the group tonight! Although I don't have an e-reader, I have downloaded all of the e-reader apps to my Ipod and I probably have a dozen or so books downloaded between them. I have slowed my book purchases, partially because of the app but mostly for two other reasons: a. The economy and b. I have a small house and a relatively large personal library full of books- I probably have read about 30% of what I own! Having said that, I do continue to buy books but at a slower rate than before and am trying to apply the rule 1 in, 1 out, especially if they are books I will not reread. For ereads, I definitely am looking for bargains!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I wish. I'm serious book buying addict, LOL!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Thanks Kyle!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Kyle wrote: "Call me old fashioned, but I still collect paperbacks and hardcover books. I love purchasing books...it's a thrill and a stress reliever at the same time. I'm addicted to reading, always have been...."

No matter how popular ebooks become, the hardcover and paperback book will always be more popular. I like reading on my nook, but there's just something about a good old fashioned paperback!

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments Kyle wrote: "Call me old fashioned, but I still collect paperbacks and hardcover books. I love purchasing books...it's a thrill and a stress reliever at the same time. I'm addicted to reading, always have been...."

I agree Kyle the smell of a new book just adds to reading experience.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I also love having an actual book in my hands.

Since I am too nervous to try an Ebook reader I only get an Ebook (which I read on my PC)when its a book that is only offered as an Ebook and that I really, really, want to read.

message 10: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments DianeE wrote: "I also love having an actual book in my hands.

Since I am too nervous to try an Ebook reader I only get an Ebook (which I read on my PC)when its a book that is only offered as an Ebook and that..."

I started out with the Kindle App and three weeks later ordered the Kindle Touch. Having the App was what triggered my decision to buy a Kindle. You have better will power than I do!

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookeater89) Having my kindle has increased my buying, because i've realised how much holding the actual book means to me. I've always brought alot of books usually in one go as well so I have to struggle to carry them home. But my currently reading and to read pile is growing really fast, even though i'm reading as much as I always have if not more.

I do enjoy my kindle, and its very useful if im going out for the day (instead of lugging four or five books around). But I dont get the same sigh factor finnishing an ebook. It's somthing about shutting the book at the end and stroking it before it goes on the read bookshelf.... *sigh*

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Seldon | 2 comments Love reading all the postings. What hasn't changed for me is the experience of browsing in bookstores. For me, I prefer browsing in new ones - well thought out indies and Barnes and Noble (Dear God is that the only major chain left?!) as well. Every time I travel, I make a point if there's time to visit a local bookstore and browse. I still remember the bookstores in New Orleans, in Richmond, VA, in Manhattan and the indies in Vermont, where I used to spend a large part of my summers. Such new discoveries in all - delightful!

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 15 comments I download hundreds of e-books on my NOOK Color and I love reading on it. However, I love phisical books, I love their smell, and feel and I thoroughly enjoy reading them. I love libraries and bookshops, and a trip to the bookshop always makes me feel happy. I still buy paperbacks and hardcover novels. So, yeah I love them.

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Maybe a little-or maybe it's the same but looks less because of how many e-books I now buy. I don't have to even stand up or leave my kindle. One touch and more words float magically my way.

But my house continues to overflow with printed text so the idea of saving space may not have become a reality.

message 15: by China (new)

China (chinap) yes, physical books have suffered on my end because i love the power of my nook color and I can pretty much find any book for free. Some of the authors that I adore (Stephen King, Neil Gaiman,etc) I will always buy the physical copies. But it's soooo much better carrying around my nook color than 300 or so books in a book bag.
I will always support librarians, independent bookstore, Barnes and Nobles and the like, but my e-reader has captured my heart and soul, rekindling my obsession with books and reading.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 49 comments Nope! I read both. It makes it even easier to always have a book with me.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Yes! I think about purchases moreso since I've got an ereader. But in general since I got my ereader I've been reading alot less plus I haven't been browsing book websites either :|

message 18: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) Frankly, I have bought more ebooks and physical books since I got my Nook. Since my Nook made it easier for me to read, I have been reading and buying more. And I comparison shop to figure out if the ebook or physical book is a better price and buy based on that as well.

message 19: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I still read both but I buy whatever format is the cheapest. I usually check around a bunch of different sites to see who is selling it cheaper.

message 20: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments I usually only buy ebooks that are unavailable in hard copy form or if they are drastically cheaper than the print copy. The other reason I use my e reader is to download samples of books that I'm thinking about reading. I like to get a feel for the author's writing style before I go and buy a book or if the book just isn't speaking to me, I won't go buy the actual copy either. But, for the most part, I still purchase most of my books the old fashioned way - I love holding them, seeing them on my shelves, and re-visiting them from time to time.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments It has, pretty much. I have a large collection of physical books and am running out of space to safely store them. Plus, given the closing of many brick and mortar stores, my options are narrowed down to Stop & Shop (which they recently cut down and reduced to pretty much the Best Sellers List - not my usual taste) or Amazon. There are still books that I will collect, but they are things that mean a great deal for me to have in physical form. The more I use it, the easier I find to stick to my Kindle, in terms of what I can obtain, ease of storage, and re-readability.

message 22: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I guess in a way purchasing ebooks has slowed me down because all the books I've been reading a lot of (mainly Georgette Heyer) are a lot cheaper in the ebook format. I do still buy physical books, but I think the main reason I haven't been buying as much lately is because I'm desperately trying to save these days and am trying to get through the books I already have =P However, purchasing ebooks have also affected my book-buying habits a little bit, especially with the bonus of not having to worry about space issues xD

message 23: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 154 comments Samantha wrote: "Having my kindle has increased my buying, because i've realised how much holding the actual book means to me. I've always brought alot of books usually in one go as well so I have to struggle to ca..."

you read 4 to 5 boooks a day?

I find it a difficult concept to pay for an ebook but have nothing physical to show for

message 24: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 14 comments Afsana wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Having my kindle has increased my buying, because i've realised how much holding the actual book means to me. I've always brought alot of books usually in one go as well so I have ..."

I feel the same way too. It's weird, but if I don't actually have the book on my shelf, I feel as though I don't have anything to show for the $ I just spent on a particular book.

message 25: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Erin wrote: "It has, pretty much. I have a large collection of physical books and am running out of space to safely store them. Plus, given the closing of many brick and mortar stores, my options are narrowed d..."

I can understand the lack of space problem. I just spent several hours trying to re-organize a shelf in my wall unit so I could fit more books. I now have a box under my computer desk with about 40 books in it. I don't think I did too well. LOL I started the whole thing because I want to buy more books but I need somewhere to put them. I download books all the time but I still have the need to own actual books.

––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•- (theinsomniacbookhoarder) | 3 comments Initially I was sceptical to buy into the whole e-book shenanigan, I have always been a massive book evangelist- the touch, the feel and smell of actually holding a tangible book. However, early this year I was swayed and enticed with the practicality and easiness of kindle, and so I bought my a 3G keyboard kindle at Big W. I loved it, and I still do! I was known to bring 2-3 books inside my bag wherever I go and it lagged adding the weight to a already heavy bag. I welcomed the lightness, the ease and the accessibility of reading a kindle, on a train and on a bus.

Having a massive bookshelf with a tbr-pile, I felt that getting books from an electronic format would somehow assist me to save my book space and save money- living in Sydney, Australia; books are generally expensive (unless you know where to look).

But even know with my kindle, I still continue to borrow books from the library and even good more addicted to buying books from the book depository. So, No. It hasn't curbed my book buying habit at all. I just now have a better and more choices when it comes down to reading.

I will always be a bibliophile, regardless of the format from where I read..

message 27: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments I was given an e-reader for my birthday and it's currently buried somewhere (still in its box) beneath piles of the physical books that I have continued to buy... oops...

message 28: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Batsap wrote: "I was given an e-reader for my birthday and it's currently buried somewhere (still in its box) beneath piles of the physical books that I have continued to buy... oops..."

Magic words: Free Downloads.

Think about it and find that ereader! LOL

message 29: by Becomingme (new)

Becomingme | 15 comments Hmmm...the original question, yes it has slowed down my purchasing of paper books, but I've been able to read a whole bunch more and check out a lot more genres and authors that I would never before have given a second glance before in bookstores, thanks to that magic word "free books" and books less than $5. I'll buy the more expensive book if I like it The Passage was a book that I paid full ebook price for and didn't mind a bit...

message 30: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments i also have gotten more freebies. I'm trying to clear out my book shelves and put more books on my kindle.

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina (obsessivedrmer) | 11 comments For me, acquiring eBooks has slowed down my purchasing and reading print books. Especially, since I've started reviewing books on my blog. My immediate TBR list is ALL eBooks ATM. Thankfully, I got an ereader recently and I've been reading a lot more. I'm hoping to whiz through these ebooks so I can get back to reading some print because as much as I love my Kindle Fire, I miss having an an actual book in my hands.

message 32: by Aoibhínn (last edited Mar 18, 2012 03:47PM) (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I definitely have to say yes to that question. I've had my Kindle since Christmas. And between now and then, I've only brought two physical books and over 100 kindle books.

I've found that I prefer reading on my Kindle. I've found I am reading much more than when I was reading paperbacks alone. I was recently reading a physical book and it took me twice as long to read it because the print was really minuscule. I kept having to put the book away whenever my eyes got tired which was really annoying (on my Kindle when my eyes get tired all I have to do is enlarge the font size and continue reading). I only brought the 2 physical books because I really wanted to read them but they weren't in ebook format yet. I've found the ebooks are cheaper than physical books too.

message 33: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments I have to agree, I seem to read faster on my Kindle. I still read paper books, still buy paper books but I read a lot more ebooks than paper ones.

message 34: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cottrill | 5 comments i am certainly reading more now that i have a kindle althoough i read alot to begin with. i am purchasing new books more often on my kindle but that is because it can be downloaded so quickly. i never purchased that many physical books to begin with with the exception of my favorite authors. i have always utilized our loccal libraries which is one reason i love my kindle. i can access the library 24/7. i will always love physical books but i enjoy the conveience of amy kindle. i never keep purchased physical books anyways i always donate.

message 35: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (nessatabby) I want to buy more books for my kindle but I have so many physical books on my shelves still to read. I also get many of my books from sales and it is much less than the ebook price. I do like to have physical copies of some of my favorite books, in case I want to lend them to a friend, but I donate many books to the library that I know I won't read again.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I havent even tried e-books. I guess I am also old fashioned I like a book in my hands.

message 37: by Ellie (last edited May 13, 2012 11:19AM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I thought ebooks would help stop the clutter but I still love tree books-I just added an addiction. Especially for those big books, I love the lightness of the eversion & the portability. I recently looked at the hard copy of a book I'm reading (The Instructions)-I would never have Read it if I'ld seen its actual size! Ignorance is truly bliss because I'm really loving the book.

Some books I've bought in both versions-one for home & one for "on the road"!

message 38: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 12 comments Vicki wrote: "I have just joined the group tonight! Although I don't have an e-reader, I have downloaded all of the e-reader apps to my Ipod and I probably have a dozen or so books downloaded between them. I ha..."

I feel and do the same. as for me, I was very biased with ebooks. I thought I would hate it. but now, I am addicted to it. especially to the free books. classics usually. and I have a tablet now. I found myself devouring books so fast. besides, I find the books I am dying to read in ebook format most of the time. I feel so happy because now, I won't have to order and wait for those books in the mail.

message 39: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) That's a big plus for me. Addict that I am, I hate waiting. Whisper net is so gratifying. I want it=I have it.

Hard on the budget, though.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments Not for me...I still buy more print books...I love my KOBO but mostly have been using library books on it :)

message 41: by Brenan (new)

Brenan (kiskadee) Nope =P But that's just because I've never bought an eBook in my life (I've won a couple eBooks before, but never have I paid for even one eBook). I hate eBooks, and always will. Real books for me!

message 42: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson No, not too much. If I really love a book I won't buy the e-book version I'll buy the actual paperback. Maybe because then I actually get to hold it in my arms lol but I do buy a lot of e-books on my kindle. Cheaper and whatnot. ;)

message 43: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (malachitemoon) | 36 comments It has been ages since I've been on the boards here, so hi everyone :) I collect all sorts of free ebooks on my phone and have bought a couple, but I still prefer to collect the old fashioned way :)

message 44: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I think a lot about this thread and finally have decided the simplest answer is, No. I just by additional books now in another venue.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 7 comments I actually don't have an e-reader so the answer is basically no.. To me there is nothing that can beat the feel of a book in your hand. You can't grasp or flip through the pages of an e-reader like you can a book.

message 46: by Holly (new)

Holly (darklightlullabye) | 13 comments Yes! While I love the way I can buy a sequel on my Kindle the SECOND I finish a book, I miss browsing my local book stores!! I went to Barnes and Noble this past weekend and realized just how much I missed buying a stack of books.

message 47: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 20 comments Not really. I still love going to Barnes & Nobles to browse around and purchase books. My spiritual books I like to have on my Kindle and in physical book form. Except for the classics like Jane Austen I no longer purchase romance novels in physical book form. I download them onto my kindle. Cookbooks and books about art and interior decorating I still purchase in physical book form.

message 48: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments I don't have an e-reader, idea of it doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer the idea of a real book, and I still buy plenty!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I had a Libre ereader to read alot of free books I'd been given on DVD. However, it won't, of course, read kindle books. I have been collecting free kindle ebooks for awhile now (they give away so many), and have been reading them using Kindle for PC software (on my pc, on my hubby's netbook, and on my ipod). I finally broke down and bought a $79 kindle to read all the freebies on. It was a birthday present a couple weeks ago. I did actually buy just a couple ebooks for it, based on others I'd read that were free and I wanted to read another by the same author. In one case, the free ebook was book 2 of a set of 2 books (given away several months ago) and I broke down and paid $5.49 for the ebook. Never again!!! The same book I paid for was offered free, just two days later! Boy was I so pissed off I won't be doing that again. Will be a long time before I buy another kindle ebook that costs more than 99 cents, and that's even if I buy any of those. With so many free kindle ebooks they give away, about the only one I bothered to pay for, other than the above one mentioned was an ebook that wasn't available in any other format, and it was inexpensive ($2.99 or less).

message 50: by Rozzer (new)

Rozzer For any serious bibliomaniac, as I am, an eReader is just another way of controlling book expenses which, if you're not wealthy, is something that has to be done. Like buying both used and new.

« previous 1