Q&A with Janelle Stalder discussion

General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 232 (232 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Stalder | 201 comments Mod
Talk about whatever you'd like, whether it be about Eden, or any other books. I've read lots, and I love talking about them, so feel free to start any topic!

message 2: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I just started reading Eden this evening. I just finished the first two chapters. At first I was a little bit confused by the many changes of point of view, but getting used to it now.

message 3: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I have read the first four chapters already. Now that Aiden in is Eden I am really enjoying the book. And I like the multiple point of views, not many books use it but I really like to see the point of view of more characters. I am really curious about the rest of the book.
Maybe you can include a little map of the world in your next book, I would like that, it makes it easier to visualize the world.

message 4: by Janelle (new)

Hmmmm good idea! I'll have to see if I can find someone to draw something for me. Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest! Happy reading!

message 5: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I am on page 82 now. I was wondering about the genre of this book. It reads like urban fantasy, but everything takes place in a fantasy world. It does remind me of the Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder and Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore those are books that happen in a fantasy world but stil seem very close to the urban fantasy genre. Did you read them? They are both first books of a good series.

message 6: by Janelle (new)

No I haven't, but I'll definitely look at them now. Thanks for suggesting them!

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments Just realized I was a member of this group, thanks to Lolita... :P
I just finished the chapter where Aiden goes to Eden! I really like it so far! :)

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I got Graceling yesterday in an ebook but have a million books I have to read before it... glad to here it's good!

message 9: by Janelle (new)

I'm so anxious for you both to be done lol

Which one out of the two you suggested, Lolita, should I read first?

message 10: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments That's difficult to choose. I read graceling first. But poison study is really nice because the whole trilogy is already releashed so then you can read the whole series after book 1.
Graceling already has a second book too, it is called Fire and is a prequel to graceling that you should read after graceling. I like Fire even better than graceling. Bitterbluewill be the third book.

message 11: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I am at page 160 of Eden now. I really like it now and I love the multiple point of views. I really like seeing the two sides of the war.
And I really wished more people would use multiple point of views in their books.

message 12: by Janelle (new)

I love when a series is already out and I can just read them all at once lol Maybe I'll start with Poison then.

I'm glad you like it! I'm thinking I should do something in the second book to signal whenever the POV changes, so it's not as confusing. I also like it when you can see more than one side. Rose was really important to me, because I didn't want the book to be so black and white, with one side 'bad' and the other side 'good'. I like when there are shades of grey in books, and you find yourself torn between the characters.

message 13: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments That's what I like about your book. You really get to see both sides and feel sympathy for both of them. I like all sides of the story and you get to know more about all the characters and the background.
I got used to the POV changes after a few chapters, but in the beginning it was indeed a bit confusing. But I think that can be easily solves by just typing the characters name before the next alinea starts.

I really look forward to writing the review for Eden. I am at page 185 now, so I think I wil finish it this evening. I am really wondering how it will end.

message 14: by Janelle (new)

I'm glad you said that, I was hoping people would like both sides. I think it makes the reader get more emotionally involved with the characters and their stories.

I can't wait to read your review. Don't forget this is only book one!

message 15: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I am already looking forward to book two :)

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I'm back!!! after a couple of tiring classes! :P
I love series that are already finished too, cause I hate waiting for the new books to come! It's so nerve breaking, especially if you're left in a cliffhanger ending!

I haven't read any books for the last couple of days so I still haven't read anything from Rose's POV, but I remember her from the blurb of the book, she's going to be the third POV?

message 17: by Lola (last edited Nov 04, 2011 12:42PM) (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I don't know how many different POV's this book has. If we count everyone who has been POV sometime I think we can come to ten different POV's; Aiden, Jameson, Elisa, Rose, Wolf, the wizard (from the prequel, I forgot his name something with AZ... or Ar), Callum and I think I forget some others.

message 18: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments btw the author of poison study, maria v snyder, has two other series too Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder this series consists of two books, it is very good. in fact this is the first series I read by this author. And Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder i think it is a spinn-off from the study series, also a trilogy, I have the first book already, but didn't read it yet.

message 19: by Janelle (new)

It's funny...I don't even know myself how many POVs there are lol I think you got most of them Lolita...at least for book one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to read Poison first, and if I like her writing I'll definitely check out the others.

message 20: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I just finished Eden and immediately reviewed it. so here is my review. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 21: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments Janelle wrote: "It's funny...I don't even know myself how many POVs there are lol I think you got most of them Lolita...at least for book one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to read Poison first, and if ..."

I hope you enjoy poison study, let me know what you think of it.

message 22: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I noticed that this group has a picture now, the cover of the first book. much better then that question mark.
I was wondering what will be on the cover of the second book? will it be in the same style as the first book, grey with a weapon on it?
And did you already find someone to draw the map of Eden?

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I just read the first chapter from Rose's PoV. I really liked her, and it's nice to see that Callum isn't a monster after all...

message 24: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I really liked Rose's point of view too and the fact that Callum becomes just another character and not only the evil enemy. You get to understand the other side of the war too.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 97 comments I'm starting Eden today! I've read a few pages and I'm excited. Thanks Janelle for the book.

message 26: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments Yay, more readers to discuss Eden with :)

message 27: by Janelle (new)

Looks like I'm behind on these!lol First off, Lolita I started Poison Study last night, and I only have about 1/4 left. I love it! Can't seem to put it down lol Thank you for suggesting it. I can't wait to see what happens. Secondly, I do have an idea for the next three covers actually. I was just talking to my friend who did the first one, and he's going to start working on the second shortly. It will be similar in style, and have one focal point/image, but not a weapon this time. The colours will be related more to each section of Eden, so the second will be either brown or green, because it takes place more in the West with the Riders. But it will still have that textured look to it like the first. The first is grey because it takes place in Central Eden, and the Capital is made all of grey stone, so it fits. Hopefully I'll be able to reveal the second one soon! Also, I did talk to someone about the map. I'm hoping to have that done shortly. I'll most likely get it printed in the second book, but I might make it a poster as well. We'll see! Veronica, I'm glad you like Rose! She is one of my favourite characters, and definitely helped to open up the first book by introducing us to the northern side. Terri, welcome!! Can't wait to hear what you think!

message 28: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I am so glad you like poison study. I really liked it.

I am curious to see the next cover. I never expected that there was so much tought behind the cover :P.
I am also curious to see the map. I have a picture in my head about how it should look.

message 29: by Janelle (new)

Well because it's a series I wanted them to all kind of be related, but still specific to each book. The next two are pretty much set in my mind, as to what I want them to look like. The last one not so much. I'm still throwing some ideas around in my head about it. I think once I start writing that one, I'll probably have a burst of inspiration lol. I should have the map done by the end of the month...hopefully. I'll let you know so you can see a copy!

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I really like the story behind the covers. It's nice to know it.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 97 comments I haven't read PoisonStudy. I'll have to look into it.

message 32: by Janelle (new)

Just a quick FYI, I saw the final draft of the map of Eden today! It is pretty wicked, compared to my drawing lol which looked like some two year old scribbled on a napkin (I'm not even joking...) It looks wonderful, can't wait to have you all see it!

Also, Lolita, I started Graceling today. I'm only like one or two chapters in, but so far I like it. There are a lot of names and information to understand, but I love the writing style. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done!

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I can't wait to see the map. I have a map in my mind but it only has the five main...I don't know what they are called...:P There must be so many details I can't place right, like the river and the villages and the forest and stuff...I am 67% in the book, where Aiden and everyone else are going to fight with the enemy army, I'd love to have a map to have a more complete image of the location...

message 34: by Janelle (new)

Check your emails!!

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments I loved it!!! It's really perfect. Great job! Now I can really imagine the whole fight going on. Thank you so much!!!

message 36: by Janelle (new)

No problem! I hope it makes picturing everything easier for you. Enjoy!

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 97 comments Loved the map!

message 38: by Janelle (new)

Btw, thank you for the wonderful review Terri! Made my weekend!

message 39: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 75 comments I send you an e-mail back Janelle, I really like the map. It is so beautifull! Now I really can't wait for book two. Whenn will the cover of book two be ready?

message 40: by Janelle (new)

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I also really liked the two moons he added in the compass, I thought it was a nice touch. Not sure about the cover for book two. I'll let you know when I find out though.

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments Ok, so I have a question, I am just about to finish Eden and I realized that the chapters aren't that many, so I was wondering how big are they? Yeah, I know, weird question...but I always loved small chapters! :)

message 42: by Janelle (new)

Well they range, but for the most part I make them around 7-10 pages each (in a word doc). I think some were a bit longer, but that is what I usually aim for. I don't like to make chapters too long, because I'm one of those people who always says "I'll just read one chapter", and then when they are too long I can't fit them in during a quick read lol so I made them long enough to include what I needed to, but short enough that you can sneak one in whenever you can! Does that make sense?!lol

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments Hehe...I am exactly the same kind of person. I love that some books have 2 pages chapters, I can read forever without even noticing...

message 44: by Janelle (new)

I know, it makes it easier to stop and find your spot again, rather than having to stop in the middle of a chapter. I'm so excited you're almost done!

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments Ok, I just finished!!!! :D I really loved it!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/226946960

message 46: by Janelle (new)

Aw I loved it! Thank you sooo much!! I'll send the sneak peek over shortly.

I really appreciate it!

xo J

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments OMG!!! I can't wait for the sneak peak! Have you decided when the next book will be out???

message 48: by Janelle (new)

Not yet..but I'm working on it!

message 49: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Morfi (vmorfi) | 28 comments What about the cover? Have you decided on it yet?
I don't want to pressure you or anything I am just really excited about it. :)

message 50: by Janelle (new)

Actually, I might have something by this weekend, if my friend who's doing it can find the time. Once I have something I like, I'll try to add it on here, so hopefully (if you want to) you can add it to your to-read list! I'll be able to post the synopsis too.

« previous 1 3 4 5