Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
36 views
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Why don't Americans eat horse meat?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.slate.com/articles/health_...

Slate wants to know, not me.


message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

 ~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I would assume for the same reason we don't eat dog or cat, we think of horses as intelligent and as pets. I know my roommate would have shit fit if someone suggested eating a horse unless in the direst of circumstances. I always thought it was avoided because horses were important for travel, but I never knew about the religious bans until reading the article.


message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I've eaten horse meat and it is delicious.




message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. I wonder if that's supposed to look like a horse shoe on purpose.

I also wonder if this thread will horrify Pi. Sorry, Sarah!


message 5: by janine (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments That's just a regular sausage shape, RA.

Regular (pork) smoked sausage for example looks like this (and is also delicious):




message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes, horrified! I'm not letting any of you near my pony now.


message 7: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

 ~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Yes, horrified! I'm not letting any of you near my pony now."

Seems like you would be ok letting Americans near the pony, just none of those crazy foreigners. ;)


message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I'm not a zombie, Pi, I know only to eat the meat from the store and the butcher.

Don't watch The Walking Dead!


message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I am not ever going to watch the Walking Dead.

There has been a lot of debate in horse circles over whether the ban of equine slaughterhouses and the new transport limits in the US have been a good thing. There are a lot of people leaving their horses to starve that would otherwise have likely gone to auction, been bought by a kill buyer, and had a (slightly) quicker death. and they now have longer rides to Mexico and Canada.


message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments My theory is nobody in America wants to hurt any horse's self esteem by plugging it between the eyes with a bullet.


message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think we have an image of the horse's nobility that is at odds with the idea of eating them. They are useful, expressive companions, and we have spent a lot of history on the effort to domesticate them and breed them for our various purposes.
Cows are smarter than horses, but they are far bumpier to ride, and they lack majesty.


message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Wait, what does any of this have to do with the Walking Dead?


message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
I certainly wouldn't not eat horse meat if it were delicious and affordable and the horse was not someone's dear pet or anything. I.e., I don't have a personal taboo against it.


message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Who says we don't eat horse meat?

Can you verify there's none in anything you've had? You know there aren't anywhere near enough inspectors to protect your food supply.


message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
If there was some in the Bob Evans breakfast sausages I had yesterday, I'm okay with it. It didn't kill me.


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Doesn't gelatine come from horses? Or maybe that's only in Australia.


message 17: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Beta wrote: "Doesn't gelatine come from horses? Or maybe that's only in Australia."

I think gelatin comes from hooves of various animals. I could research this but it would destroy the mystery.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It could have been an urban myth my parents used to tell us as kids. I'm not looking into it either.


message 19: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I don’t know if I would. If I was hungry, I probably would.

I know my grandfather used to buy horse meat in the butchers specifically for his dogs... my mother had it by accident once and it traumatized her for years. She liked it.


message 20: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

 ~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Myles wrote: "I think most gelatin is artificial now, but it defintely used to come from the hoof.

I would probably try horse if it were on a menu. I mean, meat is meat."


Yep yep, gelatin and glue. I don't think it's possible to make synthetic gelatin (but I'm not sure about that and I'm too lazy to look it up). That's why vegans don't eat jello.


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Why?


message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Because.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Because why?


message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Because I said so.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Damn!


message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yup.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

::sulk::


message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh stop.


message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I mean, meat is meat.

TWSS TWSS TWSS TWSS


message 30: by Phil (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:42AM) (new)

Phil | 11605 comments I saw J9's first pic (above in #3) and wondered why she chose that part of the horse to eat.


message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Amber wrote: "I don't think it's possible to make synthetic gelatin (but I'm not sure about that and I'm too lazy to look it up). That's why vegans don't eat jello. ."

Most gelatin is still made of hooves and bones. In the US it tends to be beef, since horse is illegal. I think Julia Child tells you how to make it from scratch.

Kosher gelatin is usually made from fish.

Agar-agar (made from seaweed) is the vegetarian option.


message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I certainly wouldn't not eat horse meat if it were delicious and affordable and the horse was not someone's dear pet or anything. I.e., I don't have a personal taboo against it."

ps Because horses are not bred for meat in the US, I can guarantee you that any horse you or your pet ate in the US or Canada -accidentally or otherwise- would have been someone's pet or working horse.

In countries where specific breeds are raised for meat that is probably not the case... though I have to say that I always appreciate talking to small farmers who name their cattle or buffalo and treat them well until slaughter. Those slaughters tend to be less traumatic as well.


message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sally wrote: "Wait, what does any of this have to do with the Walking Dead?"

(view spoiler)


message 34: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Well, that and Pi would never watch it anyway, because zombies freak her right out.


message 35: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Actually, in Canada, Premerin foals (baby horses that are an excess by product of the pregnant mare urine- pmu-industry) are sold into feed lots, fed up like cattle and sold for human consumption food in Europe and Asia. And horse meat doesn't have 'mad cow' disease.


message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
Wow. I did not know that.

One mare (female horse) provides enough urine for approximately 150 women a year...therefore, 9 million women divided by 150 women per horse = 60,000 pregnant mares needed to provide estrogen rich urine for these 9 million women a year

The mares at PMU (Pregnant Mare Urine) farms are impregnated, fitted with a urine collector device and put on "pee lines" for approximately 6 – 8 months. They are tied in small 8’ long X 3‘ wide stalls. Many are kept dehydrated so their urine is concentrated.



message 37: by Cheri (last edited Nov 03, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments 60,000 pregnant mares means 60,000 baby horses that are not wanted or needed and most are slaughtered for human food. Good news! The numbers are less now days. After 60+ years of Premerin female hormone replacement therapy, it is generally accepted that eating a pill made from pregnant horse piss is not *all natural* and causes cancer. All the PMU farms in Alberta and BC are out of biz but Manitoba is still churning out those babies to eat and piss for pills.


message 38: by Barb (new)

Barb Holy shit. That's terrible. Another reason to take a pass on hormone therapy.


message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah. I'm glad PMU pills are not as popular as they were a few years ago. I've met a few rescued PMU farm babies. The ones I've met are ugly as sin (they weren't bred for looks) but good-natured half-drafts.


message 40: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I yelled at my OBGyn until he gave me a 'scrip for a synthetic HRT pill. I don't really care how many petri dishes were harmed in the making thereof.


message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula Froelich | 12 comments i think we've all eaten horse meat at some point or another... maybe just not realized it... especially if you're from Cincinnati.. and eat Skyline Chili. Now THATS some dodgy "meat"!


message 42: by smetchie (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:53PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments This woman eats horse meat.
NSFW!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyw...


message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh ....


message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
A perfect candidate for America's Next Top Model. Tyra likes to have one crazy one on each season.


message 45: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

 ~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "A perfect candidate for America's Next Top Model. Tyra likes to have one crazy one on each season."

She seems more than crazy. I feel that activities like this are an early warning sign that she will become a serial killer or a Westboro Baptist Church leader.


message 46: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Nah, she just likes star wars!


A lot.


message 47: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

 ~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments smetchie wrote: "Nah, she just likes star wars!


A lot."


At least Luke wasn't naked when Han stuffed him in the Ton Ton.


message 48: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I suppose that depends on your point of view.


message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) smetchie wrote: "I suppose that depends on your point of view."

Doesn't everything?


Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) smetchie wrote: "This woman eats horse meat.
NSFW!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyw..."


I'm afraid to click the link. Please tell me it's not a donkey show.


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.