Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion


205 views
.

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Weirdology Yeah. I think people should be able to compare the books to each other if they want to. But it only needs one thread. Having multiple discussions of the same topic going at the same time just clutters up the boards and takes up space on the recent discussions page.


Will IV Meh, it's a problem that corrects itself over time.


Lord Voldemort I think its fine to compare two books, but the "Harry Potter vs Twilight" thing is kind of getting on my nerves a bit... I personally think one book is much better but won't say as it would probably start another one of "those" discussions. :)


message 4: by Mai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mai Lewis Buwee These books are not similar at all, why make a comparison?


Will IV Most of the threads aren't actually comparing them, just a bunch of people stating which one they like better, which is just as absurd.


Tikiri Mehnaz wrote: "I mean, come ON! Whenever I start checking the discussions, it appears all over the page. What's wrong with you all?
The stories are TOTALLY different from each other so stop comparing them for G..."

I totally agrees with you.


message 7: by Yue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yue Agreed. But I think that most of the discussions are created by teens, especially after watching the movies and 'falling in love' with the actors


James They aren't really comparing the books, the only reason for them is because someone who likes both is quite rare, and the books are pretty much the two most famous of the time. Most HP fans think Twilight fans don't understand good writing and are immature, most Twilight fans seem to just kind of think HP fans are dumb for not liking Twilight. I know there are exceptions to those, but from what I've seen they're pretty accurate. That's just what rabid fans do, thus the phrase "Fangirls ruin everything." (I didn't make it up, please don't call me sexist. The generic rabid fan is a girl.)


Valerie They are annoying but it's a sociological study in itself to see what the kids are obsessing over and how quickly it ends or how long it stays.


James At the moment it looks like at least another five years. It's gonna be a long wait...


message 11: by Clara (last edited Nov 03, 2011 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Clara Dont get me wrong i LOVE each of the series but, guys they're NOTHING alike... so dont try to compare them it's USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Clara wrote: "Dont get me wrong i LOVE each of the series but, guys they're NOTHING alike... so dont try to compare them it's USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

yah wat she said! i totally agree!


Nyssa I agree with there only needing to be one thread. I'd even forgive two, one started in the Potter section and one in the Twilight.

That being said, I also agree (having read both) that the stories are completely different like apples vs oranges. The only true connection are that both are Fantasy stories originally written with younger readers in mind.


message 14: by [Coco] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

[Coco] Ha. That first comment was a total rant. But I agree. People are even comparing Twilight to The Hunger Games- Team Gale and Peeta. Really?!


message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Please, stop comparing anything to another book/series/movie/whatever! Each author strives to make an identity for his/her characters and individualize the title. Comparisons make it that much harder for authors and characters to speak for each other. I even hate doing that in school!


Lauraleigh I think the only reason people keep comparing the books to each other is because of how successful they are, i mean Harry potter and Twilight are most likely the most well known books out there, they make millions and are really good, i dont think people are really comparing the books as to how much each book makes


Mindy Coco wrote: "Ha. That first comment was a total rant. But I agree. People are even comparing Twilight to The Hunger Games- Team Gale and Peeta. Really?!"

Ohhh don't get me started on the Team Peeta vs. Team Gale! I mean I have my favorite and I was happy at the end, but that is not the point of the storyline at all! Fangirls are making it the focal point and there is so much more to Katniss's story than boys!


Shanna Why would you want to stop free speech? If you don't like it, don't read it.


Anuradha Come on, whats life without some good old my book totally kicks ur books worthless backside???


message 20: by Shanna (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shanna Mehnaz wrote: "Shanna wrote: "Why would you want to stop free speech? If you don't like it, don't read it."

You need to learn to make difference between 'Free Speech' and 'Disputes Over Trivial Matters'.

I'm no..."


I have no problem with this thread free speech and all.
I dispute your premise of deleting "offensive" threads, that is impinging on someone's free speech trivial or not
But who does free speech regarding trivial matters
hurt?
You have the right to be offended and I have the right to offend you, what you don't have is the right not to be offended.


message 21: by Shanna (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shanna What an odd thing to say. Do you require other people give up their stance and subscribe to yours, or do you abandon your stance and subscribe to theirs to avoid dispute?
Who's fighting? All I'm doing is stating my point of veiw and asking you to justify your request/demand that others alter their behaviour and not exercise their rights in a public forum(and more than that evidence of said behaviour should be deleted) so that your feelings don't get hurt.
How are you preaching against disputes? All I got was "Stop, you're hurting my feelings"


message 22: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to derail the actual topic.


Shanna Sarah wrote: "Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to derail the actual topic."

It didn't derail the topic at all, Sarah you concurred with Mehnaz. I don't that's all. All I'm asking is for Mehnaz to justify the call for the imposition of her preference on others that's all.
I don't disagree that comparing twilight To HP is comparing oranges to apples (but they are both still fruit, like Twilight and HP are paranormal YA novels), but if people wish to do so, it is not to inflict hurt on anyone else and thay are perfectly within their rights to do so.


message 24: by Shanna (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shanna Where in your first post do you say that they should be deleted because of fighting or turning on each other? And you didn't call for inflammatory individual posts to be deleted you called for any thread titled "Harry Potter vs Twilight" to be deleted.

" I mean, come ON! Whenever I start checking the discussions, it appears all over the page. What's wrong with you all?
The stories are TOTALLY different from each other so stop comparing them for God's sake!
If we keep posting in them, the discussions will grow bigger. So if people can't stop creating all these 'Harry Potter vs Twilight' discussions, at least WE can stop them by not posting comments in any of them.
PLEASE, don't ruin such beautiful stories by just comparing them with each other!!! "

You mention fighting and disputing in two of your ten posts (I didn't count the one between us directly).

"We have our personal preference but starting all these discussion is just turning HP-lovers against Twilight-lovers.
There are threads like 'I hate Harry Potter' started by someone who likes Twilight and the same is for HP fans. They seem to be fighting in these threads"

"You're right. They've posted it in Twilight and two of the HP books' discussion. I think they don't have any intention of discussing, they are simply having fun seeing the big fight it arises. "

The disputing aspect didn't seem to be your primary issue until I questioned you.

"If we keep posting in them, the discussions will grow bigger. So if people can't stop creating all these 'Harry Potter vs Twilight' discussions, at least WE can stop them by not posting comments in any of them.
PLEASE, don't ruin such beautiful stories by just comparing them with each other!!!"

"Harry Potter is an adventure story and Twilight is a love story. I don't see why people keep comparing them. The can't even say that they are comparing the characters. Twilight doesn't have anyone like Harry/Ron/Hermione/Ginny/Neville/Voldemort or even Dobby and the thousand magical creatures depicted in the books. Similarly HP doesn't have Bella/Edward/Vegetarian Vampire vs Villain Vampire fights/A vampire govt. I still don't get why they keep comparing one with another."

"Yeah you're right...but it's the books they should be talking about not the actors. These people really have mental problems."

"When people talk rubbish about my favorite books and authors, it really hurts. That's how I decided to post this thread."

"Exactly. I can hate a book, even speak rubbish about it, but comparing it to some other book is just too much.
I'm a writer myself. I wouldn't mind if people said "We didn't like your work". But if they started comparing it to other books, I'd be hurt, undoubtedly. :( "

It seems to me you are being disingenuous and trying to give your premise more moral weight by saying to me it's about the disputes and fights when from your other posts it's clear to me it's more about the act of comparison and your feelings.

I agree you have the right say it hurts you though I don't understand why complete strangers discussing books should hurt you? But you can't have any sort of legitimate expectation that that hurt having been stated should, would or could alter anybody's right to say it or continue to say it(the "hurtful" comment, though manners on their part wouldn't go astray) or result in the deletion of a vibrant active thread.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

umm people, if you don't like a thread, don't post on it!


Shanna I don't mind the thread I just challenge the premise. Anyone can say anything they like and I can challenge it if I like. I actually like and have enjoyed this thread.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree,I love Harry Potter and Twilight makes me sick but I do enjoy seeing Twilight fans struggle when they can't think of a better reason to like Twilght apart from; "...they love each other..."


message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:49PM) (new)

Shanna wrote: "I don't mind the thread I just challenge the premise. Anyone can say anything they like and I can challenge it if I like. I actually like and have enjoyed this thread."

no, talking to mehnaz, she posted this thread, right? no offense, mehnaz, but if you don't like all the twilight vs. harry potter threads, ignore them! don't post on them! i don't like it either, but it doesn't bother me. of course, you're entitled to your own opinions :)


message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Georgia wrote: "I agree,I love Harry Potter and Twilight makes me sick but I do enjoy seeing Twilight fans struggle when they can't think of a better reason to like Twilght apart from; "...they love each other...""

well i love harry potter and detest twilight too... but whatever.


Shanna Asmaa wrote: "no, talking to mehnaz, she posted this thread, right? no offense, mehnaz, but if you don't like all the twilight vs. harry potter threads, ignore them! don't post on them! i don't like it either, b..."

Oh ok! sorry I mistook you :-))


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I know it annoys me but I think those discussions are meant to be like a poll


Cheyenne Agreed!


Valerie Of course these two things are going to be compared. They are the two biggest fantasy series marketed to a similar demographic on the planet. How could you even conceive of a situation in which they would not be compared to one another? Should they be comparable, perhaps not, but are they going to continue to be...absolutely. Of course this is going to happen without regard to the fact that it is wildly annoying and pointless.


Rebecca I think comparing them is fine, but people really should find more similar books if they're going to argue over which one does a better job as a novel. They're different kinds of fantasy for readers looking for different stories. Twilight's a popcorn romance book combined with fantasy, while Harry Potter is a whole fantasy world to support an adventure, with only hints of romance.


message 35: by Felicia (new) - added it

Felicia AGREED! DELETE THEM!
Twilight and Harry Potter have nothing in common, except that they're both popular amongst young people. It would be like comparing Shakespeare and Tjekhov.


Axela AGREED! GET RID OF THEM! THEY ANNOY THE HECK OUT OF PEOPLE!


Lorelei I think that people just compare them because they are both really popular and they feel the need to see 'which on is more awesome'. I find it all really stupid, but it is funny to see how repetitive the discussions topics are.


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

But Harry Potter is WAY more awesome. JUST SAYIN'!!


Lorelei totally :)


message 40: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field To be honest, I think the Twilight vs Harry Potter threads are great. They're a very simple way to get people talking and thinking about books. They're different stories, true, but both very successful, so what they make you think about is what exactly makes the stories so popular.


message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 06, 2011 01:47AM) (new)

Just because Harry Potter is thrashing Twilight doesn't mean you have to delete the evidence. BTW I'm just saying....


HARRY POTTER RULES!

:) Soz bra


message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 06, 2011 04:01AM) (new)

Messy wrote: "Just because Harry Potter is thrashing Twilight doesn't mean you have to delete the evidence. BTW I'm just saying....


HARRY POTTER RULES!

:) Soz bra"


tots does bro;)


Hannah I don't necessarily have a problem with people posting that stuff (as pointless as it I think it is), but maybe the site needs like a moderator, or maybe an unsubscribe button thingy, that allows you to list the books that you've read, but not recieve all of the discussions about that particular book. That would allow not only the freedom of speech, but allow for the rest of us who don't want to read mindless and repetative stuff an out.


Shanna Can I suggest not clicking on the link if you don't want to read it. After all clicking on the link to the discussion and reading it, is completely voluntary and of your own choosing. Or is just seeing the title in your discussions page the problem...


Sevania For one thing, there are TONS of those discussions. That in itself is annoying. I myself am fine with both series'.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Sevania wrote: "For one thing, there are TONS of those discussions. That in itself is annoying. I myself am fine with both series'."

Thats cool I never read any Twilight books so thats why I a harry potter all the way!! Lol


message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol


Diane Yep. I'm sick of some Harry Potter fans who pretend they respect our opinion while implying that people who like Twilight better than HP are people with bad taste. How mature.


Clara thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!! they make me SOO mad!! i luv both of these series and i get so POed when people compare them!! they are NOTHING alike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


back to top