Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

Book Discussions (Monthly) > Nov. Lost Melody: A Novel by Lori Copeland & Virginia Smith

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishag) | 385 comments Mod
Lost Melody: A Novel won! Let's chat about it while we read it and if someone has anything to say that might ruin the book for others, just put the word "SPOILERS" in the beginning of your post please.
We're doing it a little different this month since I was late with the voting process. Sorry:(
Thanks!
Trish

message 2: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 34 comments Looks like I will have to sit this one out...my library doesn't seem to have this one!!! Enjoy! :)

message 3: by Trish (new)

Awww, I'm sorry. Mine doesn't have this one either. It's still a very new book.

The e-book is free on Netgalley.com in exchange for a blog review.
Check it out if you can!
Trish

message 4: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments Oh no! I'm sorry you can't find the book yet. It's only been out for about a week.

I'm happy to tell you about it, though!

message 5: by Trish (new)

I just went to request it on Netgalley and now it's gone. Oh No! Sorry!

message 6: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 34 comments Yeah, it will probably be awhile before they get it in. They have other books by her but it's new...maybe soon...

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments Virginia - after reading the first few chapters, I have some questions!

Do you play the piano?
Did you go to NY or Nova Scotia to research setting?

I'm loving the book - it keeps calling my name when I'm supposed to be doing schoolwork. But I'm reading a few pages each night - it's a great story!!

message 8: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments Thanks, Tracy!

I took piano lessons when I was a girl, but I didn't keep up with them, so I can pick out a simple tune, but I don't play like Jill. But oh, I WANT to! I love listening to a good pianist, and can let myself be carried away by the music. So that's what I described in the book, that feeling.

I love NY, and have been there several times, so writing that scene was easy. Novia Scotia was harder. When the contract came in, the deadline was pretty tight, so I didn't have time to go to Nova Scotia. I did lots of Internet research, and sent away for all the travel materials I could find, and watched movies about Halifax. Plus, I found a wonderful writer who lives there, and pestered her with a gazillion questions to make sure I described the area accurately.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments How fun! And now you can go have book signings there!

Yes, I love piano music so much that I keep threatening to get a player piano! Of course, I'd want one that sounds like a grand piano, rather than a rag-time one, but...

I'm off to read some more before bed!

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments A couple of questions and comment and then I'm going to read some more:

1) I wanna join Nana's private club!

2) Why December 6th?

3) Can I fire a fictional counselor?

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments Well, I got enough read that I was able to answer my own question #2. :-)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Barkman (amybarkman) | 1 comments I finished the book and am really sorry that some people can't get copies. I think it is one of the best Christian fiction books I've ever read. I can't explain exactly why without spoilers but I want everyone to read this book. It's real, it's deep, and it's life changing for those who let it be.

message 13: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments Aw, thank you Amy! I'm thrilled at the terrific endorsement of Lost Melody.

Tracy -- I wanna join Nana's club, too! Those ladies are such a HOOT! And no, you can't fire Jill's counselor. Sorry. But why do you want to fire her?

message 14: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Robinson (goodreadscombjrobinson) | 19 comments Hi Tracy, Remember Last Resort. The book trailer is featured at http://www.christianbookstoday.org/vi.... It's available at Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com and wherever fine eBooks are sold, a Christian romantic suspense full-length novel. Thanks for much for helping me with the editing in the beginning stages. Blessings, BJ Robinson

message 15: by B.J. (new)

B.J. Robinson (goodreadscombjrobinson) | 19 comments http://www.amazon.com/Last-Resort-ebo... Amazon's link for Last Resort ;)

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments I finished Lost Melody this weekend too. That ending was one of the best endings of any book I've ever read. So beautiful, so perfect.

Nana's club - they're more than a hoot. They're wonderful examples of what the Christian community really should be like. And what families should be like. And we all know how rare both are.

I'll have to go back and look to see why I wanted to fire the counselor. It was around that same place in the book where I commented on Nana's group.

message 17: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments YAY! So glad you liked the book, Tracy. Thanks for that glowing report!

So...did you read the alternate ending posted at www.loricopelandandvirginiasmith.com/...

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Ruckman (tracy_ruckman) | 10 comments Yes, I finally had time to read it. I like the ending published in the book better. Can't tell you why - but I did. ;-)

message 19: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments You're in the majority. Most people prefer the published ending. Ah, well. I'm glad wiser heads ruled in that case, because both Lori and I preferred the unpublished version!

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_sutton) | 30 comments My copy just came in the mail today. Hope I can get to it before this discussion is over. :)

message 21: by Trish (new)

Alternate ending, that is soo cool!
Don't worry Michelle (and anyone else who isn't done reading) I'm only 41% done with mine and I KNOW you're a MUCH faster reader than I am. I typically always fall asleep reading no matter what or when I read.

It's very good so far & I can't wait to find out what happens with everything!

message 22: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments Thanks, Trish! Glad you're enjoying the book so far. Caution: DON'T read the alternate ending before you finish the published book. It'll totally spoil it for you. :-)

message 23: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (ginnys) | 8 comments Michelle, you know I always value your opinion. And you're not afraid to state it, either!

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_sutton) | 30 comments Yeah, guess that's true. I try to be nice. I am not such an amazing author myself so we all have much to learn, eh? But I have always enjoyed your books, Ginny. I have only read one or two books by Lori Copeland. :)