Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Marcy's October

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Death by Black Hole: and Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson (audio) - Although I usually don't listen to much non-fiction, I had seen this author, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, on many shows and appreciated his ability to explain sometimes complicated astrophysics to the scientifically challenged, like me. Each of this book's chapters has appeared as an essay in Natural History magazine and this work is presented as a "best of" compilation. While some were fascinating and others not so, I enjoyed enough of the book to heartily recommend it as an entertaining and educational look at our world and our place in the universe.

Iron House by John Hart - Two brothers, sent to live in Iron House orphanage as children escape from their abuse their into very different lives. Years later, their paths intersect in a world of murder, madness and suspense. Although the violence described is over-the-top, this story is told beautifully with deeply drawn characters and a surprising plot. I love reading a "literary mystery" and definitely found it here.

The Silent Girl (Rizzoli and Isles #9) by Tess Gerritsen - Bringing her main characters back to Boston, Gerritsen has once again managed to keep me reading way into the night. A grisly murder in Chinatown has an eerie connection to a massacre that occurred there 19 years earlier, with a possible touch of the paranormal thrown in. All in all, this was another solid book in the series.

A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion by Ron Hansen - The premise of this novel, which was based on a true life murder for love in 1927 New York City was intriguing, as was the recommendation of it by NPR. I did not, however, enjoy the book which read like an Enquirer newspaper lurid account of a crime. I didn't like the writing style at all and short though it was, lost interest about half-way through. I continued on, hoping it would improve. It didn't.

Summer Knight (Dresden Files #4) (audio) by Jim Butcher - Harry works for the Winter Queen of Faerie to solve a murder and stop a war between the Summer and Winter Courts. Surprisingly, this fantasy series is very entertaining for me and James Marsters' narration of the audio is outstanding. Looking forward to number 5.

Child 44 (audio) by Tom Rob Smith - This debut novel is a riveting combination mystery, psychological thriller and look at life in the very controlled former Soviet Union, a time and place where people lived in fear and tried to deny the existence of any murderers within their idealized society. The main character, Leo Demidov, a lead criminal investigator is persecuted by the State for investigating a serial killer and must find a way to bring this monster to justice, all while his own personal life is unraveling. I thought the compelling plot, political commentary and good sense of place made this an above average read!

message 2: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Marcy wrote: "Death by Black Hole: and Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson (audio) - Although I usually don't listen to much non-fiction, I had seen this author, the director of the Hayden Planetarium..."

Marcy, I also enjoyed reading Child 44.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1225 comments Marcy wrote: "Child 44 (audio) by Tom Rob Smith - This debut novel is a riveting combination mystery, psychological thriller and look at life in the very controlled former Soviet Union, a time and place where people lived in fear and tried to deny the existence of any murderers within their idealized society."

I too really thought the audio of Child 44 was very good. I need to get the second book in the series soon.

Too bad about A Wild Surge of Guilty Passion. I've had it on my TBR list for a while but will now not worry about it.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Glad to see you're still enjoying Harry Dresden! James Marsters is just spot on as the reader!

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Lorraine and Sandi - Child 44 remined me of Gorky Park, only better. I just looked at the 2nd bk in the series and like you, Sandi I'm adding it to my list.

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Melodie wrote: "Glad to see you're still enjoying Harry Dresden! James Marsters is just spot on as the reader!"

Thanks for the encouragement to try this series. I'm truly amazed that I am enjoying it so much - it's so different from what I would ever pick up on my own. Just another reason to love this board and our varied group of posters.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14830 comments Marcy: I also loved Child 44 and had not remembered there was a second book. The tbr wishlist grows! I am glad The Silent Girl was good, love the series!

message 8: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments What is the title of the second in the series of Child 44?

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments The 2nd one is The Secret Speech with number 3 coming out soon, Agent 6.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments Marcy, I read my first John Hart this month (The King of Lies), and now have Iron House on request. I had no idea there was a book after Child 44...adding to the list!!

message 11: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Dawn wrote: "Marcy, I read my first John Hart this month (The King of Lies), and now have Iron House on request. I had no idea there was a book after Child 44...adding to the list!!"
I love Hart's prose except that the violence can be a little too graphic for me. I enjoyed King of Lies as well.

message 12: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Looks like you had a great month! Love John Hart also, dispite the violence, I love his characters, so real!