Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

The List of Seven (The List of Seven, #1)
This topic is about The List of Seven
Group Reads Archive > November Discussion: The List of Seven *Spoilers Likely*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
This thread is to read and discuss The List of Seven by Mark Frost.

Optional Talking Points:

1. Plot/Story
2. Setting/Worldbuilding. Was the historical setting authentic feeling to you?
3. Suspense/Adventure elements. Did this story get your pulse pounding or give you any thrills.
4. Characterization
5. Overall rating: 1-5 stars or out of 1-10.
6. Similar books you'd recommend?

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Not finished yet, but I am enjoying Barry and Larry. I also think this qualifies as a "Bromance" too.
(P-{D>

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Cool!

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
One warning though. I believe there's some bad nasty-ness, evil doing sdescribed (in a discussion of "back story") that are difficult subject matter, nothing too oppressive in the manner it's told, but the content is very sad.

message 5: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Nov 03, 2011 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

And Frost has broken away from the ACD Mold (other than the differences of modern story telling vice victorian era story telling) and I get to once again utter those words that we've all heard before (view spoiler)

Yeah, I went there.

(P-{D>

Strong female character in a victorian world.

message 6: by Eileen (new)

Eileen LOL! Hugh. Ok, now I'm going to find time to read this.

message 7: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

I thought you'd like my "spoiler" (well spoiler for some, fun for me.)

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen So glad I started List of Seven...I'm enjoying it a lot more then I thought I would. Didn't think it was my kind of book...I was wrong.

message 9: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

you know what
i have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLHUT...

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I finished List of Seven and will give my thoughts later when I have sometime. Really enjoyed the book.

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm trying to get my thoughts together now... but... my mind has so much garbage in it that it takes a while to get the good bits picked up, sorted and wiped off for display in a review.

I loved the ending. well, no, that's not fair, I loved the very end (de'dumout? (sp))

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Nov 21, 2011 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm sorry it took so long, but here's my review. I hope it's not to scatterbrained. I've had a busy month.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 13: by mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 15 comments thanks to this group for having this as a monthly read - it had been languishing on my shelf for too many years.

1. Plot/Story

the story itself was nothing new, but it was an enjoyably classic situation (sinister villains trying to rule the world by bringing back THE DARK ONE).

i really liked that final set-piece, the dinner. really well-done.

2. Setting/Worldbuilding. Was the historical setting authentic feeling to you?

it felt authentic, although i have no real idea since i haven't done much non-fiction reading of the time period. very atmospheric!

3. Suspense/Adventure elements. Did this story get your pulse pounding or give you any thrills.

definitely suspenseful. very well-paced - speedy but not rushed, lots of time for various digressions on interesting topics. lots of fun adventure to be had overall.

4. Characterization

the three main characters were enjoyable. rather thin, but fun. especially the late-arriving female lead. the twins were pretty loveable. the villain was pretty interesting. i would have appreciated more characterization of the rest of the list of 7 besides Alexander, but i'm not sure how that could have happened. i was hoping for some connection between Dr. Gull & Jack the Ripper, but that was nowhere to be found. ah well.

5. Overall rating: 1-5 stars or out of 1-10.

3 stars: I Liked It

6. Similar books you'd recommend?

i love the (sub)genre. not sure what i find so appealing about the Victorian era mixed with the supernatural & super-science, but it is a favorite subject. my favorite steampunk novel is The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Frost (other topics)