Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
This topic is about Sweet Silver Blues
Group Reads Archive > November Discussion: Sweet Silver Blues *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) This is the spoiler-free discussion thread for Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook. Please use the spoilers allowed thread to post any spoilers.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Oh, crap. Is it that time already?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone reading this?

Suzanne I've started it - I like the tone so far. I'm finding myself putting the Black Company in the same world, which I suspect is not the case.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone know if The Black Company actually is in the same world? That might make me read them sooner.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I don't think so, Ala. Of course, I've only read the first Black Company book and this one in the Garrett Files. They don't seem to connect that I've seen.

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Ala wrote: "Anyone reading this?"

I started it this morning - I'm only 20 or so pages in, so I don't have much of a feel for it yet. It's pretty short, though, so I should finish it in a few days.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a pretty quick read for sure. I liked it enough that I went on and read the whole series earlier this year.

Couple rough spots from what I remember but overall fun enough.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'm a little more than halfway through. Sadly, it hasn't really pulled me in so far... :-\

Maggie K | 730 comments It took me a bit to get the hang of this world, but I really enjoyed the book. I thought it amusing how Garrett really didnt seem to know what he was doing and was just playing things be ear...could have been a deadly thing, considering how hairy everything got.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) The writing does take some getting used to. I like the humor a lot.

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) | 30 comments Ala wrote: "Anyone know if The Black Company actually is in the same world? That might make me read them sooner."

The books take place in a different world. Much different tone as well.

The Garrett books are great, IMO. Very sarcastic humor which I love. Fun and quick reads. I've read the first five so far.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I think Cook does a great job of teaming noir with faerie elements. Well done.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I just noticed that when it's a discussion about a specific book now there are ratings next to people's names.

Has that always been there and I was just oblivious, or is this new?

It's kinda cool, though.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Woah. When did that start?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I think this is brand-spanking new. I didn't notice it yesterday, anyway.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I wonder if that's the update they were making that broke everything.

Suzanne I'm enjoying the humor in the book quite a lot.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) So... I finally finished this last night. I said earlier that it wasn't really grabbing me and, unfortunately, it never really did.

I went in expecting to like it - I really thought I would based on both the type of story and the recommendations - but I never really clicked with any of the characters and the plot seemed convoluted, haphazard and just meh all around.

I don't really have much desire to read more of the series, but I bought the omnibus... so, who knows?

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) (last edited Nov 14, 2011 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) Maybe you might feel like reading the rest one day. That happened to me with the Sookie Stackhouse books. I have two omnibi and no desire to read them after the first book.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Anything's possible. :> (Unless I get rid of the book first... )

I never read Sookie past the first one, either. I was going to buy the boxset just based on the raves it was getting, but then a coworker lent me the first one. I was so glad I read it first, 'cause I woulda had to cry if I'd bought the set.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) I gave them to my mom to borrow. I don't think I'll ask for them back.

message 26: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm about 50 pages in or so. It's pretty funny but not that engaging. I'll finish this but not sure about the rest. I can see where Larry Correia was going with his series now...he sorta missed the mark.