Fantasy Aficionados discussion

The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)
This topic is about The Last Unicorn
Group Reads Archive > November Discussion: The Last Unicorn *Spoilers Allowed*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) This is the discussion for The Last Unicorn open to any and all spoilers.

No spoiler spaces or tags required in this discussion.

Optional Talking Points:

1. Plot/Story
2. Setting/Worldbuilding
3. Characterization
4. How does Beagle take the unicorn legends and craft his own unique story? Your thoughts on how well this was done.
5. Your overall opinion of this novel out of 1-5 stars or a rating to 1-10.
6. Other books like this you'd recommend?

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I've loved this story since I was small and saw the animated film based on it ( I was a total nut for unicorns as a girl). Beagle's a great writer and this book was such a classic (therefore five stars)! I also enjoyed The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version the original version of the novel which he never completed.

I've always been most fond of Molly and Shmendrick the Magician who caught my interest more than most all though each of the characters have such interesting individual stories. My favorite scenes involved Mommy Fortuna, the campfire where Shmendrick conjurs Robin Hood and of course the journey through the clock to reach the Red Bull.

message 3: by Maggie (last edited Nov 04, 2011 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 730 comments This book is such an enigma to me...the story is told in almost a fairy tale like way, but I do not feel like it's dumbed down in any sense...I feel more like I am in the innocent mindset of our unicorn, learning the truth after all this time...

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments Wow. Just checking back in on the discussion, and was surprised to find that there is none.

Is this because we all just love this book so much?

Maggie K | 730 comments lol Kara-that does seem to be the consensus

message 6: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new) - rated it 5 stars

carol. | 2616 comments I know I do--the only reason I don't regularly re-read it (the way I do some of my favorites) is because the storyline is so heartbreaking. Beautiful story, but not a rainbows and unicorns and true love kind of ending.

Kara (sterlink) | 143 comments Carol wrote: "I know I do--the only reason I don't regularly re-read it (the way I do some of my favorites) is because the storyline is so heartbreaking. Beautiful story, but not a rainbows and unicorns and true..."
I'm with ya Carol.
This is one of those books that I actually keep around my desk at work. I rarely re-read it, don't need to. I just like having it around.

My film clip is actually of the unicorn pushing the red bull back into the ocean, I just love to look at it and feel it represents much - strength, love, purpose, overcoming odds... and of course, my childhood.

Linette A beautifully told story, befitting a beautiful unicorn. This was very 'fairy-tale' but I really thought the occasional tongue-in-cheek poke at fairy tale expectations were funny.